Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2006, 09:44 AM   #26
cacunacacuna
Registered Member

Reading posts like this is the reason I frequent Reef Central. Thanks for the well thought out info Leebca. I'm now considering new feeding options for the health of my fish. Have a great one!

cacunacacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2006, 10:33 AM   #27
JownsenJesus
Premium Member

Awesome info. Deserves to be at the top of the forum!!

JownsenJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2006, 03:14 PM   #28
devildij
Registered Member

hey i know that i am kind outta time for this one but lee how do you make the gel

`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' , '
(( ),-'' (( ),' ((!.-'
devildij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2006, 11:41 AM   #29
fdnyhm1
Registered Member

New Food on the market

Hi
I was having problems with ick with my fish and I was told about a new food out on the market. It is made my a company called Blue Lagoon. They make a regular food loader with vitamins, an anti parasite and an anti bacterial food, plus liquid vitamin supplement. I can't rave enough about the improvement that I have seen in my fish since I have been using their products.

You have to try it to see the difference, you won't regret it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...egory_Code=OSI

fdnyhm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2006, 06:25 AM   #30
FishyPam
Moved On

I agree as spirulina does help when it comes to coloration for fish... I got my from a store that I was trying to shill here.

Last edited by BlueCorn; 10/02/2006 at 08:15 AM.
FishyPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2006, 08:25 PM   #31
yrema
Lounger

Thumbs up

great discussion here. a very good read indeed.

yrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2007, 06:12 AM   #32
traveler911
Premium Member

Thanks for all the added insight.

Unread 04/07/2007, 03:53 PM   #33
StephM33
Registered Member

Really great thread, I'll definitely bookmark this one, but I do have a question. How can we balance the feeding requirements of a mix of herb/omni and carnivores in one tank?

We have to try and get the Tangs/Foxface to eat more veggies and less meat. But we also have to have meat eaters in there too. Does this mean if we feed veggies for breakfast and lunch, that our meat eaters have to settle for one evening feeding? In the past we've been feeding meat and veggies in every meal, but it does seem that the Tangs and foxface are opting for the meat first.

We always have veggies (broccoli or romaine) available as well, as they won't eat Nori.

How do others handle this?

Steph

StephM33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2007, 08:35 PM   #34
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Nutrition is certainly important against most disease. The best examples are the internal bacterial and fungal diseases.

However, I also think that the role of proper nutrition should not be exaggerated. The inexperienced aquarists should not be duped into believing that good nutrition is the answer to all diseases A to Z.

I think ich and Odinium have little to do with nutrition. The relation of these disease with stress in general is also problematic, and even if prsent, should not be emphazised. This would hopefully promote their eradication by proper quarantine. These are pretty much diseases of physical confinement, unnatural concentration of patheogens.

Some external bacterial infections are also opportunistic. Some even very robust fish with great nutrition and little stress can get external bacterial infection without previous exposure and acquired immunity. De-emphasis with good nutrition is actually better, as it encourages the proper use of UV against external bacterial infection, especially during acclimation. These are also diseases of physical confinement, unnatural concetration of patheogens.

Last edited by wooden_reefer; 07/02/2007 at 08:41 PM.
wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 12:08 AM   #35
Ace1
Registered Member

Has anyone tried feeding there fish Dulse and Nori, from my understanding Dulse (red marine alge) stops viruses from replicating in humans and has prooven to stop and prevent many diseases in humans so wouldnt this make a good food supplement for our mairne animals.

Also Irish Moss and Bladderwrack (other red marine agle's) provide every nutrient needed by humans for survival. Wouldnt this be the best choice as i comes from there natural environment.

Im personally not a big fan of vitamins i beleive they are totaly unnecessary and lack nutrition. Fish in the wild dont need vitamins, so if we can provide as close to there natural diet i think we would simplify the regime.

Ace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 01:37 AM   #36
PhillyD123
Registered Member

Thank you for simplifying it for everyone and I think You are dead on the money.

Current Tank Info: 75gallon mixed reef tank in the works
PhillyD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 01:42 AM   #37
PhillyD123
Registered Member

as far as vitamins we are doing a miserable attempt at simulating an infininte amount of water (The Oceans) If ever you get the chance get some ocean water and run as many tests on it as possible I think you will find the vitamin/ mineral content a bit overwhelming and eduacational along with hundreds of billions of bacterias compared to what is in our tanks.

Current Tank Info: 75gallon mixed reef tank in the works
PhillyD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 10:59 AM   #38
laverda
Registered Member

StephM
I always feed my tangs their sea veggies first before feeding the other fish. Broccoli or romaine have very little nutrional value. I am surprised they don't like Nori as mine love it, but then they are pigs. Are you using just plain sun dried sea weed? You might try some of the macro algae especially Ogo.
Ace1
Those sound like some good possibilities for feeding our fish. I have never heard of any of the items you mentioned, so I never looked for them. Where do you find them?
I disagree with you on the vitamins, as we do a terrible job of giving the fish the huge variety of food that get in the wild.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2007, 02:22 PM   #39
Insane Reefer
Registered Member

Re: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Quote:
Originally posted by leebca
I've heard enough of this: But my fish likes. . . [or] My fish eats. . .[or] My fish only eats. . . to suit me for a lifetime. Who's in charge? Would you let your child eat ice cream and cake for every meal just because it's what they like? You have to prevent your fish from getting into wrong habits.
I was pointed to this excellent article by another member. Kudos on the write-up

I do have to question this quoted statement though.

Most children can be reasoned with - failing that, negative reinforcement can be a great inducement to comply. Instinct won't allow a normal child to starve itself if any food is in the offing, and they are truly hungry. Fish can not be reasoned with. Can't exactly send them to their room without dinner and make them eat it for their next meal. Many fish will literally starve to death in the first few weeks if not offered what they think they want. You can put all the correct foods in the tank that you want, but if the fish refuses to take them, I'd say he is still the boss - right up to the point that he dies of starvation.

I understand that improper diet is a bad thing, and often leads to a slower starvation, but you need to follow this statement up with how to get this fish to eat what he should when he won't, not just stating that we need to prevent it and leaving it at that...

Quote:
But if I grate my gel formula to look like worms, they charge it.

Several people have posted, asking how this is made - could you please respond?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 8

Last edited by Insane Reefer; 07/13/2007 at 02:45 PM.
Insane Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2007, 07:51 PM   #40
ginger7286
Registered Member

Excellent article I add a supplement to my tank everyday. I also feed my fish and inverts a variety of foods but I am about to get up to read the ingredients in the cans and bottles. Thanks so much.

Current Tank Info: 125 Reef Tank, Precision Marine equipment with a live rock/sand filtration. 30G. Nano with 2 percs and a beautiful little Flaming Prawn Goby.
ginger7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2007, 11:59 PM   #41
pmjfuture
Registered Member

wow. thanks for info.

pmjfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2007, 02:44 AM   #42
Questionmarc
Registered Member

yea whats the best food?

Questionmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2007, 07:25 AM   #43
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarc
yea whats the best food?
I think that questioned was answered in the very first post on this thread-----but thanks for re asking it---I had lost track of this thread---so now I can keep track of it again.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 02:58 PM   #44
lj1064
Registered Member

What about adding cod liver oil to the soak mix? Very high in vit D

75 AGA
diy refugium 20gal (eco-system style)
mag 7 rtrn - 2 MJ 900 1 MJ1200
wavemaster pro
Duel 175 MH Duel NO
Excalibur HO skimmer - on sump
70 lbs lr
70 lb

Current Tank Info: reef
lj1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2008, 02:20 PM   #45
Lucky-rc
Registered Member

Great info...
Let us not forget that our Carnivores not only eat the "whole fish"
But they also comsume what that fish had in its stomach.. ie the veggies are important also.
Lucky

Current Tank Info: 310 gal. mix-reef
Lucky-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2008, 08:20 PM   #46
Patrick12
Crypt Assassin

To me, the best food is the one your fish will eat...you can then soak it with Vita Chem (my favorite) of Ecosystems Fish formula ( I use both) or some of the others leebca mentioned. I too try to stay with fresh frozen foods because the prepared foods are so much higher in PO4 than I like...cause I really don't like any. Your gonna get some in any food...even frozen...but at least it is not added.

Thanks for the post leebca on something that is so often overlooked.....yet so key to success.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon reef and 150 reef
Patrick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2008, 10:11 PM   #47
laverda
Registered Member

Several people have asked Lee some questions. Sadly Lee has moved to two other BBS. I don't think RC will let me post links to them here. Do a Google or Yahoo search and you should see his threads.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2008, 08:05 AM   #48
Patrick12
Crypt Assassin

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1064
What about adding cod liver oil to the soak mix? Very high in vit D
I would not add CLO only because in it's preparation it is not soluble and may or may not sbsorb as well into food as Vita Chem or others. Also, it will create an oil slick in your water...that your PS will likely remove. It would not hurt anything, but there are just petter preparations.

Patrick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2008, 08:14 AM   #49
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Glad people are keeping this thread open I don't know how many times I have linked to it in my posts

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 02/18/2008, 08:15 AM   #50
Aquarist007
Registered Member

what is the scoop on Rod's . People are treating it like the be all and end all of fish food.