Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2018, 01:08 PM   #326
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That sound pretty ambitious, Dawn! I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing. Are you saying you would turn one of the two tanks into the sump/fuge for the other? If so, would the top tank be a reef, and bottom one macros?

Or is it two separate displays draining to a common sump?

Either of those ideas sound doable. My concern is that it may make your overall setup more complex.

Could you flesh your idea out a little more clearly, so we all could better understand your idea?
Sure thing, I would be happy to.

The current blenny DT tank would mostly remain as it is except a partial fake wall and that the stand will probably get a 6" platform built for underneath it. This will raise tank and stand 6" higher. The reason for this is so I can build an overflow with pvc using a weir to overflow water into the lower (and what is now the current seahorse tank). Here is a YouTube link to the diy overflow I am considering.

https://youtu.be/UZytENJZtJw

The seahorse tank would be a display fuge, but using many of the principles in your 'Weeds v2'. It will have a DSB using mud, and different sized sand. It will probably have 1 piece of LR, (for a gorgonian and some red macros). I am not set whether I will grow feather caulerpa in the sand(to look like seagrass) or take the challenge of trying actual seagrasses. I will be following your tank and that may influence my final decision. This fuge will be a display fuge as much as a working fuge removing nutrients. Anyway the fuge will have an identical pvc overflow on it going to the sump. That way I know both tanks are draining at the same rate and the return pump in my sump is an adjustable so I should not have trouble dialing it into to the proper flow rate for the diameter drain I choose.

So yes, it will be more complicated in that I have 3 tanks that will now make up 1 system all sharing the same water. As long as I trust the diy overflows it should be fine. I have been using HOB overflows for years with absolutely no problems. If the flowing going in is well matched to the drain capacity out, bubbles do not build up. The model I am looking at also deals with the bubbles in its design which I like.

I would like to incorporate your fake wall concept to hide the pvc overflow parts that show in the tanks and probably powerheads too so both tanks are wholly natural looking.

And this is ambitious. But I can start by building a diy overflow and see if I think I can trust it. Everything hinges on that. If I can't trust the diy pvc overflow, then I have to consider buying 2 identical overflows and the box style are much bulkier and will require a more complicated fake wall to cover it. Not a show stopper but something to think about.

I hope this is understandable, LOL.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 12:38 AM   #327
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This sounds like an exciting project! A display fuge!

I'm flattered you're doing some of the things I'm doing. I hope it works for you! I hope it works for me!

Enjoy the process! I can't wait to see your interpretation of a fake wall. If you're going with mud, you might as well try a seagrass or two. So many choices with macros too.

My only concern with this setup is balancing the needs of two different display tanks that are connected.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 10:33 AM   #328
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
This sounds like an exciting project! A display fuge!

I'm flattered you're doing some of the things I'm doing. I hope it works for you! I hope it works for me!

Enjoy the process! I can't wait to see your interpretation of a fake wall. If you're going with mud, you might as well try a seagrass or two. So many choices with macros too.

My only concern with this setup is balancing the needs of two different display tanks that are connected.
With your current experience Michael, how do you see the needs differing in the high nutrient blenny tank and the display fuge with macros and/or seagrasses? I thought they would both be high nutrient so I am not sure what there will be to balance. Since I do not know much about seagrass's needs I am hoping to learn that from you and your tank.

Unread 12/08/2018, 02:12 PM   #329
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Actually, that sounds perfect Dawn! A high nutrient fish tank is the perfect pairing with a seaweed tank! The fish make the CO2, nitrogen, and phosphate for you! Smart. I had the mistaken idea the other tank was a low nutrient, reef tank.

Unread 12/08/2018, 07:11 PM   #330
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually, that sounds perfect Dawn! A high nutrient fish tank is the perfect pairing with a seaweed tank! The fish make the CO2, nitrogen, and phosphate for you! Smart. I had the mistaken idea the other tank was a low nutrient, reef tank.
Ok good, I am thinking about this the right way. With me currently having the low nutrient seahorse tank I can see how things are confusing. I will be leaving clean tanks behind for good when I leave seahorses behind.

Unread 12/08/2018, 08:21 PM   #331
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool beans! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Unread 12/10/2018, 08:35 AM   #332
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Your plan sounds exciting! I'll be watching your progress and am eager for your review of the DIY overflow.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 04:59 PM   #333
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Your plan sounds exciting! I'll be watching your progress and am eager for your review of the DIY overflow.
I probably will not tackle that until 2019 since I have a lot on my plate to accomplish before Christmas and our kids come. Here is a FTS of today. I moved a few coral around so they won't get stung and will have more room.
2018-12-11_05-27-00 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

2018-12-09_04-29-12 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

2018-12-11_06-04-38 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

2018-12-09_04-37-23 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Last edited by vlangel; 12/11/2018 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 12/11/2018, 06:55 PM   #334
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Tank looks good! Nice pics too!

Unread 12/11/2018, 08:54 PM   #335
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Tank looks good! Nice pics too!
Thanks Michael.

Unread 12/16/2018, 04:22 PM   #336
vlangel
Registered Member

Jr chillin' in her little jar. by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Jr is showing prettier colors now. Often her head and tail are black while her body is rose colored. Also she has silvery striping.

Unread 12/16/2018, 04:25 PM   #337
vlangel
Registered Member

2018-12-09_04-28-07 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Samson and Delilah!

2018-12-09_04-27-51 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Eve, the matriarch. "What's you lookin at?"

Last edited by vlangel; 12/16/2018 at 04:31 PM.
Unread 12/16/2018, 04:52 PM   #338
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

More great pics! You really captured Eve, with eye to eye contact!

Unread 12/16/2018, 05:46 PM   #339
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
More great pics! You really captured Eve, with eye to eye contact!
She has learned when she sees me that it usually means food is forthcoming, ha ha!

Unread 12/17/2018, 09:37 AM   #340
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Great pics of beautiful ponies.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 10:49 AM   #341
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Great pics Dawn, thanks for sharing. Junior is a cute lil' feller (or gal)!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 12/17/2018, 11:28 AM   #342
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
Great pics of beautiful ponies.
Thanks Eric.

Unread 12/17/2018, 11:29 AM   #343
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Great pics Dawn, thanks for sharing. Junior is a cute lil' feller (or gal)!
Thanks Kevin, yes she is a cutie when I can see her, LOL.

Unread 12/17/2018, 11:41 AM   #344
vlangel
Registered Member

Today I began changing the HOT5 bulbs in the Coralife fixture. About 10 minutes after the change the tank began to get cloudy, which was puzzling to me. Then I noticed that some of the grape caulerpa was clear. I removed the entire clump into a 5 gallon bucket where I could prune off the dying sprigs. I also rescued the many micro stars and pods that were residing there. I guess the lights coming on probably triggered the spawn.

The seahorse tank must have never been lacking in nutrients, trace elements or magnesium because of the enormous bioload seahorses give off and the huge WCs necessary to keep them healthy. I did prune the caulerpa but it never went sexual on me in all the years I had it before.

I can see keeping it in this easy high nutrient system is going to require me to keep a close eye on its condition. Some of it was turning to mush, I guess from lack of nutrients. I removed 3/4s of it but it recovers quickly. I also dosed magnesium and trace elements.

Unread 12/17/2018, 12:40 PM   #345
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Thanks Kevin, yes she is a cutie when I can see her, LOL.

I guess the name "Junior" threw me a bit. Yes, she's a cutie

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/17/2018, 01:34 PM   #346
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I agree the new lights triggered your caulerpa melt down. My guess is that they were adapted to a stable nutrient and light level, and when the light got brighter, it 'sensed' it didn't have the nutrients to match the increased photosynthesis rate.

Unread 12/17/2018, 03:41 PM   #347
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:

I guess the name "Junior" threw me a bit. Yes, she's a cutie
My husband Dave named her. He keeps insisting that she is a boy because he gave her a boy's name. I don't think it works that way.

Unread 12/17/2018, 03:42 PM   #348
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree the new lights triggered your caulerpa melt down. My guess is that they were adapted to a stable nutrient and light level, and when the light got brighter, it 'sensed' it didn't have the nutrients to match the increased photosynthesis rate.
Yes, I think so too.

Unread 12/18/2018, 08:25 AM   #349
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
My husband Dave named her. He keeps insisting that she is a boy because he gave her a boy's name. I don't think it works that way.
That's too funny!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/19/2018, 08:57 PM   #350
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/SuCE8SySqxU
Feeding video!