Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2010, 03:26 AM   #1
DustnF
Moved On

BioCube 14 DIY LED Build

My build has begun. Thought I would share this journey. A few weeks ago I ordered this from nanotuners.com:

1 x Nanocustoms Small Heatsink for AIOs
2 x Meanwell ELN-30-27D
12 x CUSTOM BERQUIST THERMAL PADS FOR XRE STAR
6 x CREE XRE-WG-Q5 on Star
6 x CREE XRE-RB on Star

The shipping was delayed due to nanotuners waiting on the drivers to come in. I was assured I will be recieving everything this comming week. I decided to go ahead and get started with the dimming controls for my build. Today I picked this up at radioshack:

1 x 12v 1000ma wall adapter (Part # 273-0316)
2 x LM317 (Part # 276-1778)
2 x Linear Taper 10k Pot (Part # 271-1715)
2 x 1k ohm Resistor (Part # 271-1118)
2 x 470 ohm resistor (Part # 271-1115
1 x Project Box (Part # 270-1803)
1 x 3 pk 22g Wire (Part # 278-1224)
1 x M solderable jack (Part # 274-1577)
1 x PC Board (Part # 276-0150)
1 x 2 pk Metal Knob (Part # 274-0424)

Here are some pics. Feel free to ask any question.

DustnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 09:08 AM   #2
3dblake
Registered Member

Impressive Job Thusfar! That looks "factory."

3dblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 02:59 PM   #3
DustnF
Moved On

Thanks man.

Unread 02/28/2010, 11:30 PM   #4
DustnF
Moved On

I am still on the fence about the Berquist thermal pads. Has anyone else used them?

Unread 03/01/2010, 07:52 AM   #5
bstohrer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnF View Post
I am still on the fence about the Berquist thermal pads. Has anyone else used them?
I used them on an 18 LED (XRE CW on a large heat sink with fans) refugium build. Talk about easy! From a thermal standpoint they seem to work well. I haven't done any temperature measurements. However, when I run them at 1 amp the front of the star and the surface of the LED lens does not feel hot (to the touch). If I had to guess 105-110 F.

I'm still trying to decide whether to use them or to drill and tap 200 holes.

Bob

bstohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2010, 01:39 PM   #6
DustnF
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstohrer View Post
I used them on an 18 LED (XRE CW on a large heat sink with fans) refugium build. Talk about easy! From a thermal standpoint they seem to work well. I haven't done any temperature measurements. However, when I run them at 1 amp the front of the star and the surface of the LED lens does not feel hot (to the touch). If I had to guess 105-110 F.

I'm still trying to decide whether to use them or to drill and tap 200 holes.

Bob
Nice. I will go with the pads.

Unread 03/01/2010, 03:30 PM   #7
DustnF
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilc66 View Post
I wouldn't be selling them if I didn't use them I use them on almost all my work now.
haha...i trust you evil.

Unread 03/08/2010, 08:12 PM   #8
DustnF
Moved On

Spent about an hour polishing the heatsink because I like the bling. Now its ready for solder...

Last edited by DustnF; 03/08/2010 at 08:21 PM.
Unread 03/08/2010, 08:18 PM   #9
fstar25
Getting there

did you build your own variable voltage adapter for the meanwell because you couldn't find one to buy that you liked? or did you just feel like building one? I have the 5.6 LED retro from nanotuners on the way and I have the dimable drivers. I was hoping to get one from radioshack or somewhere that had 1v increments. Can not wait to see this on the tank.

Current Tank Info: 29G BioCube with LED lighting, media basket, fuge (chamber 2), MJ1200 return pump, K nano & K 1 power heads, 32# LR, ~2" SB
fstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 08:20 PM   #10
DustnF
Moved On

Here is a better pic showing the bling...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstar25 View Post
did you build your own variable voltage adapter for the meanwell because you couldn't find one to buy that you liked? or did you just feel like building one? I have the 5.6 LED retro from nanotuners on the way and I have the dimable drivers. I was hoping to get one from radioshack or somewhere that had 1v increments. Can not wait to see this on the tank.
I could only find ones that were veriable in ~3v incriments. The also were capable of going over 10v which i was concerned I would accidently do. Also, I do not mind doing things like this myself.

Unread 03/08/2010, 09:53 PM   #11
fstar25
Getting there

hmmm, 3v increments is unacceptable. I'm gonna have to ask you to build me a box like that. I'm completely incapable of wanting to do that myself.

Current Tank Info: 29G BioCube with LED lighting, media basket, fuge (chamber 2), MJ1200 return pump, K nano & K 1 power heads, 32# LR, ~2" SB
fstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 09:56 PM   #12
goober35
Registered Member

Looks good

goober35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 10:07 PM   #13
DustnF
Moved On

Since I was in the DIY mood, I finished up my LED array construction. Here it is all ready for install, which will not happen for a little while. Someone has already bought my BC14 with the LEDs togeather He is being very patient and letting me use it until my 65g is ready to accept its contents. It would not feel right to run lights he has already paid for. I am just going to install them when I get the tank emptied.

Unread 03/25/2010, 08:40 AM   #14
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Looks sweet!

I'd add some sort of stress relief where the wires leave the LED array. As it is now, it looks like one good tug or pull will lift a pad off the first/last star.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2010, 08:57 AM   #15
fishoutawater
Registered Member

Is it really that simple? If so it seems to me that LED fixtures are grossly overpriced.

fishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2010, 09:13 AM   #16
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutawater View Post
Is it really that simple? If so it seems to me that LED fixtures are grossly overpriced.
It depends.

Most high-end commercial LED fixtures using comparable LEDs price out to about $20 - $30 per LED. Most DIY fixtures price out to $10 - $15 per LED. So on the surface, the DIY fixture is half the price.

BUT, most commercial fixtures come with nice enclosures, a warranty, some sense of assurance that it's not going to burn your house down, and some degree of customer support; as well as paying for assembly labor (free in a DIY build), R&D, distribution, and some slim profit margin.

IMHO as with many DIY ventures, the big advantage you get by DIY'ing an LED array is that you get EXACTLY what you want - no more, no less. It's a creativity thing, not necessarily a cost cutting thing.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 03/25/2010, 10:14 AM   #17
DustnF
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Looks sweet!

I'd add some sort of stress relief where the wires leave the LED array. As it is now, it looks like one good tug or pull will lift a pad off the first/last star.
That is a good point, although those pads have really solidified as they have cured. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutawater View Post
Planning and the right equipment is key. I honestly have a decent amount of time in the project. Making the dimmer box look "proffesional" and work took some time, polishing the heatsink (sand, wet sand, and buff) took a while, and you need to be pretty decent with a soldering iron. Especially when doing the board for the dimmer and the contacts on the LED stars are pretty small

Quote:
IMHO as with many DIY ventures, the big advantage you get by DIY'ing an LED array is that you get EXACTLY what you want - no more, no less. It's a creativity thing, not necessarily a cost cutting thing.
This is dead on. Doing it myself allowed me to 100% custom taylor this for its application.

Unread 03/25/2010, 10:22 AM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnF View Post
That is a good point, although those pads have really solidified as they have cured. Any suggestions?
Hole drilled through the edge of the 'sink, zip tie through that hole around the wires with something soft and heat-proof between the wires and the edge of the heatsink.

Unread 03/25/2010, 10:38 AM   #19
DustnF
Moved On

Quote:
Hole drilled through the edge of the 'sink, zip tie through that hole around the wires with something soft and heat-proof between the wires and the edge of the heatsink.
Good idea...I will probably throw it on the drill press and see if I can find a gromet that fits at home depot. I was planning on looming all the wires and this will help with that also. Thanks for the idea.

Unread 03/25/2010, 10:39 AM   #20
iziko
Registered Member

very nice!!!
PLZ don't stop update.

iziko is offline   Reply With Quote