Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2010, 02:09 PM   #1
MJDiP
Registered Member

Apex Web Page "404 Not Found" Error

I just recently got my new Apex up and running and I was able to view the web pages soon after.

Somewhere along the line I started getting a 404 Not Found error and I can't fix it. This happens right after I enter the username and password, so my computer is able to access the Apex server, but it can't find the index page.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it?

- I have already tried to reset the unit back to factory defaults, but that didn't fix the problem.

Thanks!

MJDiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2010, 02:56 PM   #2
kenargo
Premium Member

Try running the uploader and re-upload the web pages.

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2010, 05:17 PM   #3
schwaggs
Registered Member

Are you accessing it using the host name or the IP address? I have seen this when I use the host name on a network not using DHCP. Try the IP address.

schwaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2010, 06:17 PM   #4
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
"Try running the uploader and re-upload the web pages."
I'm not sure what that is, but I'll look into it. What exactly is it uploading to?

Quote:
"Are you accessing it using the host name or the IP address? I have seen this when I use the host name on a network not using DHCP. Try the IP address."
I've actually tried both approaches because I've changed the IP address quite a few times and I've also just typed in the host name by itself.. as I said, the browser actually lets me access this site because I still have to type in the user name and password (for both IP and host name).

Unread 03/13/2010, 07:56 PM   #5
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDiP View Post
I'm not sure what that is, but I'll look into it. What exactly is it uploading to?
Kenargo means the firmware updater, which also updates the Apex's web pages.

Go to Neptune's web site [ http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?...d=49&Itemid=48 ] and download the latest firmware (v4.02). Open the folder where you saved the downloaded file, unzip it, then browse to the newly-extracted contents. Double-click on the 'readme' file, then follow the instructions therein.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2010, 09:29 PM   #6
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
Go to Neptune's web site [ http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?...d=49&Itemid=48 ] and download the latest firmware (v4.02). Open the folder where you saved the downloaded file, unzip it, then browse to the newly-extracted contents. Double-click on the 'readme' file, then follow the instructions therein.
Yeah, I'm now running the 4.02, but I still get the error. I have reset since then.

Thanks!

Unread 03/13/2010, 09:31 PM   #7
RussM
Registered Member

Re: Apex Web Page "404 Not Found" Error

Did you re-upload the web pages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/13/2010, 10:53 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

When your in the updater program there is an option to update the webpage. Its a seperate update from the main firmware update but done from the same utility. Just make sure that the firmware file points to the 4.02 update. The webpages for 4.02 are different from 4.01 and need to be updated when going to 4.02.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2010, 11:22 PM   #9
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
When your in the updater program there is an option to update the webpage. Its a seperate update from the main firmware update but done from the same utility. Just make sure that the firmware file points to the 4.02 update. The webpages for 4.02 are different from 4.01 and need to be updated when going to 4.02.
Yeah, I did an update of both the firmware and the webpage, both from the updater software...

still 404...

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:55 AM   #10
kenargo
Premium Member

Do you get prompted for credentials, then 404 or a 404 when you try to access the pages?

You mentioned that you changes UN/PW; did you reset the controller after doing this and did you change the UN/PW from the display or the web pages?

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2010, 11:58 AM   #11
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenargo View Post
Do you get prompted for credentials, then 404 or a 404 when you try to access the pages?

You mentioned that you changes UN/PW; did you reset the controller after doing this and did you change the UN/PW from the display or the web pages?
I get prompted and after I enter the info, the page then defaults to the 404
error screen - so it seems to recognize that I'm a valid user, but then it kicks out to the 404.

I haven't tried a new username/password combo - do you think I should try that? I'm still using the factory defaults...

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:24 PM   #12
RussM
Registered Member

Just for S&G... try putting in bad credentials... you should get a 401 instead of a 404.

Unread 03/14/2010, 03:23 PM   #13
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM View Post
Just for S&G... try putting in bad credentials... you should get a 401 instead of a 404.
I just tried this and the username and password dialog box just kept popping up with the fields blank...

Unread 03/14/2010, 03:34 PM   #14
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDiP View Post
I just tried this and the username and password dialog box just kept popping up with the fields blank...
Same thing... failed authentication... the specific behavior depends on the browser in use.

So, that tells us that it is not a problem with username & password.

The other few times I've heard of the symptoms you have, reloading the web pages onto the controller resolved the problem.

Unread 03/14/2010, 03:44 PM   #15
RussM
Registered Member

OK... let's see if anything is working w/ the Apex web server... try these URLs.

http://apex/cgi-bin/status.xml
http://apex/datalog.sht
http://apex/netsetup.sht

Unread 03/14/2010, 04:07 PM   #16
MJDiP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM View Post
OK... let's see if anything is working w/ the Apex web server... try these URLs.

http://apex/cgi-bin/status.xml
Interesteing... I get a page of text that says:

"apex AC4:04008 03/14/2010 13:04:20 03/13/2010 15:24:17 03/13/2010 15:24:58 Temp 81.2 pH 7.96 ORP 699 Amp_3 02.2 VarSpd1_I1 PF1 VarSpd2_I2 PF2 VarSpd3_I3 PF3 VarSpd4_I4 PF4 SndAlm_I6 AOF SndWrn_I7 AOF EmailAlm_I5 AOF Light1_3_1 ON Light2_3_2 OFF Pump1_3_3 AON Pump2_3_4 AOF Heater_3_5 AOF Chiller_3_6 OFF CO2_3_7 ON Ozone_3_8 AOF"

So it looks like something is happening...

These two pages yield the 404 error.

Unread 03/14/2010, 04:19 PM   #17
RussM
Registered Member

Ah ha! The status.xml is generated on-the-fly by the firmware. The other two are static files uploaded by the web page update process. This problem still "feels" like missing or corrupted files.

In the folder where you extracted the 4.02 firmware zipfile, there should be a subfolder called 'www'. There should be a total of 41 files in there.

If that all looks OK, please update the web pages again, and post the output shown in the Flash Utility's log panel.

Last edited by RussM; 03/14/2010 at 04:25 PM.
Unread 03/14/2010, 04:22 PM   #18
MJDiP
Registered Member

Bingo... i just re-uploaded again and the pages are back...

Don't know why the first update didn't work.

THANKS for your help!

Matt

Unread 03/14/2010, 04:24 PM   #19
RussM
Registered Member

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:35 PM   #20
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Russ is da Man!

Ask him something hard next time or he'll get a big head!

Unread 04/02/2010, 12:11 AM   #21
whodah
Who Dah?

First hit on google for the term "neptune apex 404", solution spot on, thanks RussM!

Current Tank Info: oodles. they change too often to list :o)
whodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 12:14 AM   #22
whodah
Who Dah?

Oh - I meant to add: FWIW, this was for a brand new out-of-the-box Apex. (In case that helps future searchers!)

Current Tank Info: oodles. they change too often to list :o)
whodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2010, 01:36 PM   #23
Cantgrowdidly
Registered Member

This fixed my problem too. I just skipped right to the update web pages. Thanks a ton.

Cantgrowdidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 09:04 PM   #24
vbsaltydog
Registered Member

Fast, proper solution.

Thanks

vbsaltydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2011, 09:19 AM   #25
one4gatr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsaltydog View Post
Fast, proper solution.

Thanks
Wished this worked for me. Having same issue but cant update web pages. Keep getting error of:

"The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

Russ... you tried to help me with this before. Any new thoughts? Also above you referenced 41 files in 4.02v how many should I have for 4.11v?

Thanks,

Mark

one4gatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
404, apex, error