Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2010, 10:14 PM   #26
icedgxe
Registered Member

Great looking build! I look forward to seeing the final product!

icedgxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 11:09 PM   #27
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy113 View Post
Damn that tank looks so good. Congrats on all the new stuff happening. Can't wait to see this build finished. Enjoy this cause this is the most fun part of reefing I think I enjoy it even more than keeping it lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Alex the Miracle's tank looks great and you look like your have way to much fun! Keep up the good work.
I knew Miracles was going to be a good purchase, but I am speechless at the level of quality they put into this! Its just the small things, like the flush acrylic around the bottom edges to protect it from bumps or the fact that even the return holes in the eurobrace have had their edges beveled!

I keep trying to tell myself that this is the fun part, but I am definitely looking forward to the finished product right now. I basically ruined my first acrylic project (a 20"x18"x18" SW mixing tank) because I didn't take the time to research, that was costly. Once I get the sump plumbing and return plumbing, and maybe even the APEX hooked to the internet, I can sit back and enjoy my handiwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
You may want to think about a drain for the portable AC unit. Mine actually doesnt drain a lot of water, so I'm able to simply use a bucket, but if you get one with continuous draining (which almost any of them can be retrofitted to do, if it's not a built in feature) that may be a lot easier consider the amount of space you have (dragging an AC unit around for draining purposes may not be suitable).
I actually purchased all the parts I would need to make this work, but after looking at the last job I did on my wall I decided a bucket would work just fine. If it turns out to be too inconvenient I do plan on leaving enough room to drill another hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
nice! GO COUGS!
Ah Pullman. I will not miss the weather, but I will definitely miss the atmosphere! I have a feeling at this school I will be sucked into basketball, we'll see how that goes!

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 11:12 PM   #28
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfish_! View Post
nice work man
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgxe View Post
Great looking build! I look forward to seeing the final product!
You and me both!

-Alex
Unread 06/11/2010, 11:23 PM   #29
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic View Post
Nice sketch up. I like the design, so much I may copy it.
Take lots of pics for me so it will help me in the theft of the design. Thats one thing I cant make up my mind on, mostly external or internal refugium. Keep the pics coming.
The refugium idea is probably what I ended up thinking about the most. Personally, for my system I don't think it is worth it.

An ideal fuge would aid in food production (pods) and export of nutrients through growth of macro-algae. Fuges help with pod production by not allowing predation in their breeding ground, but if I added some live rock to the return area of my sump I can get the same benefit with much less maintenance. Secondly, I plan on using a bacteria/carbon driven system coupled with a powerful skimmer for nutrient export. Many people, including myself, have actually had trouble growing macro-algae in this type of setup. In my mind, a refugium equals lower flow, which equals detritus accumulation, which equals more maintenance. I have seen lots of great fuge-less systems in action (Like SunnyX) so this time around I plan on trying it out myself.

That being said, I am leaving room to install one in the future. I have even had a crazy idea to setup a fuge like a potted plant between the two tank, but grow mangroves out of it for purely aesthetic reasons.

-Alex
Unread 06/12/2010, 04:11 AM   #30
tegee
Premium Member

Alex......I agree 100% in regard to your comments on the fuge setup. I had an external fuge on my last 180-gl and decided against it on my new Miracles tank. Way too much maintenance and I simply did not see the benefits outweighing the cons imho. I was finding myself spending waaaay more time on fuge rather then the display.

After 13-weeks up and running my nitrates are way down (used dry rock & new sand too on the new setup) and I have been feeding 2x's/day with no issues. Skim heavy and have great flow and you will be fine.......

Good luck going forward and have fun with the setup.....was the most rewarding time in the hobby the past couple of months with the new tank.

Unread 06/12/2010, 12:38 PM   #31
Demonic
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
The refugium idea is probably what I ended up thinking about the most. Personally, for my system I don't think it is worth it.

An ideal fuge would aid in food production (pods) and export of nutrients through growth of macro-algae. Fuges help with pod production by not allowing predation in their breeding ground, but if I added some live rock to the return area of my sump I can get the same benefit with much less maintenance. Secondly, I plan on using a bacteria/carbon driven system coupled with a powerful skimmer for nutrient export. Many people, including myself, have actually had trouble growing macro-algae in this type of setup. In my mind, a refugium equals lower flow, which equals detritus accumulation, which equals more maintenance. I have seen lots of great fuge-less systems in action (Like SunnyX) so this time around I plan on trying it out myself.

That being said, I am leaving room to install one in the future. I have even had a crazy idea to setup a fuge like a potted plant between the two tank, but grow mangroves out of it for purely aesthetic reasons.
I just cant see myself without a refugium for some reason. I am still up in the air about it though. Are you going to be dosing vodka or the new vodka pellets? If I didnt do a refugium, then I would def do the MB7 and vodka. You are making me rethink my setup, of course most of it is in my head, since I cant make my stand yet. Garage is still full of boxes from the move. I cant wait to see yours setup done.

Unread 06/15/2010, 12:32 AM   #32
Taqpol
Registered Member

Acrylic sump construction time! This is my first time ever working with this nasty stuff,and it shows!

Getting a straight and clean edge was the hard part. Gluing the sides together reminded me of glass tank construction, which i actually enjoy.
End pieces on the front pane:

All my pieces were oversized, but that left lots of room for 'flashing' that would be routed off at the end:

I actually constructed my bubble trap and baffles outside of the tank. I don't know if this is better or worse:

When working with acrylic you can only glue horizontally, so I first glued the two baffles to the front pane:

Then I was able to turn the tank on end (after waiting four hours to be safe) and glue the bubble trap to the side:

...and the bubble trap to the remaining baffle:

Back Panel:

And the hard part, the bottom! I didn't have anyone helping me on this project, so I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off to get glue in all the seams (including the internal ones!) and get the pins out before the glue set:

Of course I forgot a pin! I was able to get the plastic head off, but that sucker was stuck in there! I ended up covering over it with WeldOn 16 to stop any metals from leaching out into the water.

-Alex
Unread 06/15/2010, 12:39 AM   #33
Taqpol
Registered Member

Lastly the top was put on.

I did make sure to drill a hole in it to let gasses pass to the inside of the container as the glue cured.

Time to use a flush bit router to remove all of the flashing I had sticking out, as well as to cut out the euro brace! I have to say, Acrylic is the messiest solid I have ever worked for in my life! I made this thing days ago and I am still pulling acrylic shavings out of my hair and pockets!

It looks so much better without paper!

Sort of... I told you it showed that I was new to acrylic construction! Sometimes that Weld On just got away from me!

Time for a water test...

Not a single drop made it past the first chamber:

And full! I let it sit like this for almost 48 hours and not a single leak!

-Alex
Unread 06/15/2010, 12:50 AM   #34
Taqpol
Registered Member

Now I had a tank with water in it, and a sump, but no way to get water between the two! If you look at the floor plan on page one you see that my fish room is actually to the side of the tank, and that the tank rests against an outside wall. There was no way I could rout the drain pipes outside or through the floor, so they were going to have to look pretty!

Drilling more holes in the wall. I think being able to drill holes in your walls is the definition of being a homeowner!

Dry-fitting the pipe that was going to have to make the span:

And finished pipe in place. After I got it all assembled and glued I spray painted it with Krylon fusion. Another tank is going in front of these guys, and maybe even a potted plant/mangrove refugium, but I think the paint color will help it blend in better:

Fish room side of the holes:

Drains under the tank:

Drains going into the sump:

Temporary return coming from ReeFlo Dart:

Returns coming up and over the tank:

With all the crazy twists and head pressure on the pipe I'm not getting very noticeable flow in the DT. I might try out some penductors in the future.

-Alex
Unread 06/15/2010, 01:00 AM   #35
Taqpol
Registered Member

My goal was to just get all my rock in the tank with flow and heat so that it could cycle while I was gone. After getting it in there I decied I might as well aquascape it, too. I tried to keep my two islands I had in the 120 as i was very proud of them, but I wanted a scape that had more balance and showed off the size of the tank. I came up with this (Thanks to Drummereef for the inspiration!):

This is my new favorite sand, CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade. The stuff looks good, settled in one day, and doesn't get blown around by my vortechs at 100%.

After the sand settled:

There is still room for improvement, as I am missing a fair number of my rocks right now (they either had corals or nems attached to them). As it is now it looks vacant but I keep telling myself to resist the urge to put any more rock in. Once all my corals grow in it will get crowded soon enough.

Also, for whatever reason adding the sand really brought out the bristle worms that (unfortunately) made the trip all the way from Washington:

This one big, but not even 1/4 the size of one I pulled out of the 120. Once I get back to my SLR I'll have to see if I can find the picture I took of that one!

-Alex
Unread 06/15/2010, 05:34 AM   #36
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Wow you have water already.... looking good! How many gallons is the sump?

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 07:48 AM   #37
drstratton
Registered Member

Alex, everything is looking great, I am excited to see how the rest of it comes together. Congratulations on your Marriage!!!

My tank thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24034396#post24034396

Current Tank Info: 75g DT with 40g breeder custom built sump W/refugium! Livestock: 2 Purple Firefish
drstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 07:59 AM   #38
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Wow you have water already.... looking good! How many gallons is the sump?
The sump is 42"x19.5"x16", and accounting for internal dimensions and at operating water level it holds 32 gallons of water. It should hold almost exactly 50 gallons at max capacity. I am very pleased with its operation as of now. The BeanAnimal overflow in my previous system would almost overflow my sump when I turned the return off, and almost drain it before the full siphon would kick in and normalize my water level. In this setup my water rises a whole three inches upon power outage, but still leaves me three more inches to the top of the tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstratton View Post
Alex, everything is looking great, I am excited to see how the rest of it comes together. Congratulations on your Marriage!!!
Thanks!

-Alex
Unread 06/15/2010, 03:47 PM   #39
prop-frags
SPS Slave

CONGRATS ALEX!!

An incredible new wife, and tank, too!
Looks like all of your work so far is just superb. The aquascaping is great... subscribed!

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 06:32 PM   #40
crvz
Team RC Member

Looks great, Alex. But you're making me feel incredibly lazy. My project is no where near as far along. Go have a kid or something.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 07:54 PM   #41
jsdancer
Registered Member

Great start! I can't wait to see ya stock your tank! Good job on your build out thread!

jsdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2010, 11:01 AM   #42
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Looks really great so far, very enjoyable build to watch
Quote:
Go have a kid or something.

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 01:16 AM   #43
Demonic
Premium Member

I wish I had those skills. That sump is awesome. I will agree with crvz though, you are making me look lazy with as much as you have done. Your plumbing is super nice as well, looks great and like it belongs there.

Unread 06/18/2010, 12:05 AM   #44
sammy113
Registered Member

Looking Good Alex. The sump turned out great! I hate when the weldon leaves the stain like that but if it works and doesn't leak is what counts! I'd say the problem was the pins you used were to large for that allowing more solvent to enter between both acrylic pieces. When you pulled them out, the excess stains the surroundings like that. I like to use thin cooper wire or even better guitar strings Keep it up

sammy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2010, 05:37 AM   #45
KingNeptunesBou
Registered Member

Tagging along.

Unread 06/19/2010, 12:56 AM   #46
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
CONGRATS ALEX!!

An incredible new wife, and tank, too!
Looks like all of your work so far is just superb. The aquascaping is great... subscribed!
Thanks, she really is incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdancer View Post
Great start! I can't wait to see ya stock your tank! Good job on your build out thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
Looks really great so far, very enjoyable build to watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic View Post
I wish I had those skills. That sump is awesome. I will agree with crvz though, you are making me look lazy with as much as you have done. Your plumbing is super nice as well, looks great and like it belongs there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy113 View Post
Looking Good Alex. The sump turned out great! I hate when the weldon leaves the stain like that but if it works and doesn't leak is what counts! I'd say the problem was the pins you used were to large for that allowing more solvent to enter between both acrylic pieces. When you pulled them out, the excess stains the surroundings like that. I like to use thin cooper wire or even better guitar strings Keep it up
Thanks!

-Alex
Unread 06/19/2010, 01:02 AM   #47
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks great, Alex. But you're making me feel incredibly lazy. My project is no where near as far along.
I hope you all know I am not trying to make anyone feel bad. I rushed to get to this point, and as such some things didn't turn out as good as they should have. I had to get the tank to this point before I left because I wanted my rock to be 100% cycled by the time I got back. This is because a very generous local reefer will have been keeping my corals and fish in their tank for almost two months already, and I want to get them into my tank as soon as I get back from my honeymoon.

The good news is, especially for my sanity, I am now back in Washington state and will be taking a break for the next two and a half weeks! After this I promise a much slower pace.

Quote:
Go have a kid or something.
Hahaha! I can honestly say I don't plan on having a kid for a minimum of another eight years! Grad school plus kids do not mix!

-Alex
Unread 06/22/2010, 06:27 PM   #48
Bigjoe2531
Premium Member

Tagging along...beautiful miracles tank

Current Tank Info: Transition.....
Bigjoe2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 06:41 PM   #49
Cannon7
Registered Member

You have skills Taqpol.

Cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 06:48 PM   #50
crvz
Team RC Member

You certainly have no reason to apologize, you've done good work. It just hurts remembering what productivity really was when we had two incomes and no kids. but that's my problem. Continue on, sir!

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote