Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2011, 07:07 AM   #1
BrookR1
Registered Member

Coral additions = algae outbreaks?

It makes no sense to me, but it seems like every time I add a new coral or two (30 gallon tank) I get an algae outbreak even though my parameters and feeding remain the same.

Could it be caused by a sudden increase in Ca/Alk consumption?

The good news is that after a few days it goes away, but I'm still a little confused as to why this happens.

Unread 11/08/2011, 07:27 AM   #2
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

The new coral may have algae on it and you introduce it into your tank. Many coral collected from the ocean come from algae infested waters now. If possible it is always nice to quarantine new rock and coral with proper lighting. You may not see algae if the coral was cleaned up before sale.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2011, 07:57 AM   #3
spivey73
Registered Member

I would think its just adjusting to the new bio load plus a little bit of die off from travel. A mini-cycle but probably not even enough to show up on a test. it adjusts, but at the end is you bloom but it eats up the excess and dies off.

7g fluval edge reef
haha and you think you've raised hell"

Current Tank Info: 90 reef
spivey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2011, 07:58 AM   #4
spivey73
Registered Member

But always +1 for QT

7g fluval edge reef
haha and you think you've raised hell"

Current Tank Info: 90 reef
spivey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2011, 11:07 AM   #5
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I have no idea what's happeneg. Import of an algae could be it. Organics from the new coral, exudate from the coral ,PO4 from the rock the coral is on, stir up of detritus .etc when moving stuff around to place it are afew guesses.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2011, 02:14 PM   #6
BrookR1
Registered Member

I'm not too worried about it because I have a big skimmer. I target feed my new additions (mainly LPS) after a couple of days of polyp extension. It could be that the corals aren't as efficient at processing food as the other critters in my tank. Sometimes there's also a little recession until the corals fully adjust to my tank.

What's also weird is I've noticed white strings of mucous come out of some of my corals (bubble coral, lobo, and duncan) right after I place food on their mouths. Almost like coral saliva.