Registered Member

Using Aquaforest Reef Salt + dosing Component 1+, 2+, Magnesium too high

Mg: 1600ppm (or higher)
Ca: 420
Alk: 8
Salinity 1.026
Weekly Water change: 10%
Salt: Aquaforest Reef Salt

I'm currently dosing 17ml daily of both Component 1+ and 2+ in equal amounts to keep my Ca/Alk levels consistent.

My mg levels are reading 1600ppm or higher (my Red Sea test kit doesn't go any higher, I'm using .84ml of the titration liquid).

On my Component 1+ label, it does show Mg in Component 3+ and not 1+. Since I'm not dosing Component 3+ (due to Mg), I can't imagine 1+ and 2+ adding any Mg.

I have yet to measure mg in a fresh batch of water with the Aquaforest Reef Salt, but I've measured dKH in a fresh batch and it was just about right.

Any ideas on where this huge spike in mg is coming from?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

Also, if I'm not dosing Component 3+, should I dose everything other than Mg? If so, where can I find Aquaforest products that has everything except mg?

Unread 01/16/2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

As you can see Component 3+ contains Reef Mineral Salt and you can also use Strong K ( Part of Components Strong ) but for now you can dose Reef Mineral Salt only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLrgWH-KMI&t=594s

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:20 AM   #4
cflow
Registered Member

My Mg got to 1500 when I switched to AF probiotic salt. My component 1 has Mg with Ca. Fortunately the Ca is also close to 500 so I don't dose it. I'm probably lacking the extra elements that are in component 1 because I can't dose it. I actually switched salt to red sea blue bucket. It was icp tested and its Mg is a little less than 1300. My Mg is finally A coming to NSW range. AF doesn't seem to want to look up the icp results for my big box of salt I cannot use. I tried looking it up myself. The label does not work on the AF site. I don't think it was icp tested. Why would AF want to keep such high Mg? Scientific based evidence would be helpful.

cflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflow View Post
My Mg got to 1500 when I switched to AF probiotic salt. My component 1 has Mg with Ca. Fortunately the Ca is also close to 500 so I don't dose it. I'm probably lacking the extra elements that are in component 1 because I can't dose it. I actually switched salt to red sea blue bucket. It was icp tested and its Mg is a little less than 1300. My Mg is finally A coming to NSW range. AF doesn't seem to want to look up the icp results for my big box of salt I cannot use. I tried looking it up myself. The label does not work on the AF site. I don't think it was icp tested. Why would AF want to keep such high Mg? Scientific based evidence would be helpful.
It's my understanding that AF doesn't mean for their Mg to be high. But it is. Maybe these batches are bad. I have 2 unopened buckets that I might open up to test.