Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:28 PM   #1
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

H. Magnifica light supliment.

H.Magnifica loves light and it also likes to reside just below the surface. I recently bought a Magnifica nem which is about 8" under my water's surface. I run Radions XR30 Gen 3 pros so should be enough light. However, from my research, the colour spectrum for the Magnifica nem is different from many corals with less blue light being better for them as far as I understand and more in the lower K daylight spectrum.

I kept H.magnificas many years ago under 5400k metal halides with no problems very successfully.

I got to thinking would supplementing my Radion with a 6500k spotlight be a good idea. I have seen a 15w 6500k spotlight with 60 degree lens (it with also comes with 180 degree lens) which would be ideal to pick out the nem.

Here's a link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...6NYYLH58&psc=1

They also do a marine full spectrum version here.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...96NYYLH58&th=1

Thoughts please.

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon reef
LesMelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 02:47 PM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

I think you are worrying about something that is not a problem. Your lights are more than adequate to keep and grow a mag. I think one spotlight putting out yellow light would look really odd when looking at the tank as a whole.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 02:53 PM   #3
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I think you are worrying about something that is not a problem. Your lights are more than adequate to keep and grow a mag. I think one spotlight putting out yellow light would look really odd when looking at the tank as a whole.
Thanks for the reply and I see what you mean. my idea was to blend the spotlight in with the Radion adding more of the daylight spectrum. So more about the spectrum and adding to it without changing it for the rest of my corals esp my SPS.

Unread 02/14/2018, 02:55 PM   #4
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMelling View Post
Thanks for the reply and I see what you mean. my idea was to blend the spotlight in with the Radion adding more of the daylight spectrum.
I’m sure you could do it and manage to not make it look too noticeable, but I doubt you’ll see any difference in the health of the anemone.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 08:12 PM   #5
mnchartier
Registered Member

Actually Orion and Taylor_T and a few others have added a 5K led spot light over their gigs along with their normal lighting and have seen positive changes. Might be worth a shot with a Mag

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 10:08 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

I've seen a number of people add something in the lower kelvin rating in order to achieve a full spectrum, and that's for the entire tank, not just mags or nems.

I have not done this or felt the need, not yet anyway unless I see an obvious reason or need.

IME if you give a mag a pedestal that keeps them closer to the surface for the max light they can obtain, w/out having any higher structures or glass w/in reach to allow them to climb higher they seem to just stay put.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 03:37 AM   #7
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchartier View Post
Actually Orion and Taylor_T and a few others have added a 5K led spot light over their gigs along with their normal lighting and have seen positive changes. Might be worth a shot with a Mag
Thanks, so the 6500k spotlight l put a link up to in my first post might be the better of the 2 then.

Last edited by LesMelling; 02/15/2018 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:33 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

The Sun spectrum is about 5500K, that is the surface temp of the sun. For high light requiring animals, their natural spectrum requirement is 5500K.
Low light animals, deeper under the water, the light spectrum gradually shift to higher K due to salt water absorb the lower end of the spectrum which is the red and yellow light. This does not take into account the animals living in muddy water where the light is block by particles, not absorb b the water. These animals exposed to 5500K light just less of it due to the muddy water.

IMO, we put really blue light on our high light reef tanks more so they look nicer and show more hidden colors rather than have any benefit to the coral. All the hobby written on how blue light is good for SPS are anecdotal observations only. I have yet read any truly randomized test to actually see which light spectrum is better.

I am not saying that blue light cannot grow corals. Certainly there are plenty of evidences that blue light growth high light requiring coral beautifully. What I am saying is that more natural spectrum light should grow coral even better, even it it does not give as beautiful of a tank.

My anemones, all high light requiring species Gigantea, Magnifica and even Haddoni, did great and very healthy with boost of light using daylight LED spot light (5000-6000K lights)

Lastly, LED light are not full spectrum light. The Sun provide full continuous spectrum of light from radio waves all the way to Gamma rays. Most intense in the visible light range. LED light only give apparent spectrum, how it looks to our eye only. If we analyze the spectrum of LED lights, we see that the lights compose of distinct bands of wavelength, to our eye look like certain spectrum. 5500K LED does not give out the same spectrum as the Sun's light.

I think that the animals in our reef are adaptable and they make use of usable light even if it is not the same as the Sun's light.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:39 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

BTW, The atmosphere of the Earth block all the high energy electromagnetic radiation. Pretty much everything above ultraviolet are blocked by the atmosphere, even ultraviolet most are blocked. Without this, life is not possible on earth due to the ionization effect of the Sun's radiation.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 03:13 PM   #10
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

I have ordered the 6500K one at a very good price indeed. It will be 3 or4 days before I have it. If it fails to make any difference (remember is a supplementary light to my Radions) ThenI will sell it on as a fudge cheato light which I understand grow well under it.

Unread 02/16/2018, 07:14 AM   #11
elegance coral
They call me EC

IMHO, it isn't so much the low K temp that benefit these anemones, but has more to do with the PAR they receive. Typically speaking, watt for watt, low K temps have higher PAR values than higher K temps. A 50w, 6000K light will drive more photosynthesis than a 50w, 20,000K light.
With that said, I would use extreme caution when increasing the PAR value over a newly introduced H. magnifica. While they can adapt, and do very well, under strong lighting, they require a very long time to do so. I believe that one of the major causes of failure with these anemones is people falling for the old idea that they require massive amounts of light. They don't. Especially when we first get them.
S. gigantea is a completely different animal.

HTH
Peace
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Pavlo
Registered Member

I've had my Mags under Radion gen3 pros for the last 5 years and under halides for 11 years before that and they have been fine. They sit on a rock that is two feet below the waters surface. I think the extra lighting that you are adding may be unnecessary.

Pavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:54 PM   #13
garygb
Registered Member

Mags are found in water from the intertidal zone all the way down to at least 120 feet (some supposedly are found at 50 meters) below the surface. So they are indeed adaptable creatures. I personally prefer the warmer, more yellow (shallow water) lower K light of 5500 to maybe 10K. But I think your anemone would be fine under bluer, higher K light if that is what you prefer.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:43 AM   #14
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

My Asta 20 light arrived today From Amazon. I have to say I am impressed for the price. I wasn't expecting the brightness and colour to be as noticeable as it is. My nem positioned itself on my weir right under one of my Radions. I bought a flat topped rock and moved my H.magnifica onto it and positioned the new Asta 20 6500k light I bought above it. I have the light on about 50% to allow the nem to get used to it and so not to possibly burn it.

So far everything is going well, the nem has been on the rock since yesterday and has not moved from the rock so far at least. Will it stay put, will the nem like the power and 6500K light provided enough to satisfy it? Only time will.

I have to say no matter if it is a success or not this I am impressed with this little light, especially at the bargain price. The nem is currently bathing in the light provided which I believe the spectrum of the Radion may not have been providing for it. My nem may have come from close to the surface on the reef and I am hoping this little light along with the rock it now resides on is the answer for my nem.

On a side note IMO this little light would be ideal for lighting a small fuge with Cheato etc in I would suggest it would light an area of approximately 18" square.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nem and light resized.jpg (62.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg nem resized.jpg (67.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by LesMelling; 02/19/2018 at 08:54 AM.
Unread 02/20/2018, 05:48 AM   #15
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Here is the spec for the 6500K light which is origionaly designed fora freshwater planted tank but gives a more white intense light than the full spectrum version. I have put the 60 degree lens in to concentrate the light onto the nem,. The light comes with a neat gooseneck included with the price and postage for just £32.

Features:
*Solid aluminum housing
*Perfect combination of black and silver color
*Manual dial to dim the intensity, easy operation
*Bendable rustproof gooseneck
*COB LED with good color rendering index brings bright and natural sunlight

Specifications:
Model: Asta 20
Color: Cold White
Suitable Tank Size: 20cm~45cm cube tank
LED Source: COB LED, 6500K
Cable Length: 1.5M
Wattage: 12~16watt (Light intensity can be dimmed to 0%)
Dimension:
Diameter: 70.0mm
Height: 43.0mm
Package Weight: 1.0kg

What's in the box:
-1 x Asta 20
-1 x Gooseneck
-1 x 60 degree lens
-1 x User Manual

Warranty:
12 months warranty plus 30 days satisfaction or return guarantee, 100% money back. We are all customer service-based, please contact us if you have any questions about this light, we will answer your questions within 12 hours.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg asta20.jpg (23.9 KB, 9 views)

Unread 02/20/2018, 01:43 PM   #16
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
My Asta 20 light arrived today From Amazon. I have to say I am impressed for the price. I wasn't expecting the brightness and colour to be as noticeable as it is. My nem positioned itself on my weir right under one of my Radions. I bought a flat topped rock and moved my H.magnifica onto it and positioned the new Asta 20 6500k light I bought above it. I have the light on about 50% to allow the nem to get used to it and so not to possibly burn it.

So far everything is going well, the nem has been on the rock since yesterday and has not moved from the rock so far at least. Will it stay put, will the nem like the power and 6500K light provided enough to satisfy it? Only time will.

I have to say no matter if it is a success or not this I am impressed with this little light, especially at the bargain price. The nem is currently bathing in the light provided which I believe the spectrum of the Radion may not have been providing for it. My nem may have come from close to the surface on the reef and I am hoping this little light along with the rock it now resides on is the answer for my nem.

On a side note IMO this little light would be ideal for lighting a small fuge with Cheato etc in I would suggest it would light an area of approximately 18" square.

In your latest pics you posted, is that the largest you've seen the Mag get? It looks
Like it might be pretty scrunched up/POed. I think I read that you moved it to a new rock, so maybe that's why. When I got my mag it was about that size when it came in, and now she's huge! Not complaining though haha. Also do you have a pic of the new light
And how it's mounted and it's affect in the color of the water; Kinda like a FTS but focusing on the light? I added a mag to my tank about a month ago and always looking for ways to improve her quality of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 02:19 PM   #17
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
In your latest pics you posted, is that the largest you've seen the Mag get? It looks
Like it might be pretty scrunched up/POed. I think I read that you moved it to a new rock, so maybe that's why. When I got my mag it was about that size when it came in, and now she's huge! Not complaining though haha. Also do you have a pic of the new light
And how it's mounted and it's affect in the color of the water; Kinda like a FTS but focusing on the light? I added a mag to my tank about a month ago and always looking for ways to improve her quality of life.

Yeah. the pic was taken soon after I moved it mainly to show the light on the nem even though it is only on half power for now. I have just fed the nem again so will try and get some pic's tomorrow inc a FTS.

The light is mounted on the rim of the tank with it's gooseneck. via a bracket and thumbscrew. Holds it reasonably well. The bracket adjusts for a rim up to 1" wide so plenty of adjustment.

Unread 02/20/2018, 05:48 PM   #18
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I use a radion XR30 Gen 3 pro and my mag is halfway in the tank and happy. I run 20k at 100% for 8 hours. Nursed him back from completely bleached.

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:56 PM   #19
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

My 11 year old mag has been under about every type of light over the years and I have not noticed much difference between any of them. It has been under a Radion g3 for the last year and still looks great.

Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 11:03 PM   #20
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4zalews View Post
I use a radion XR30 Gen 3 pro and my mag is halfway in the tank and happy. I run 20k at 100% for 8 hours. Nursed him back from completely bleached.

What do you mean halfway in the tank?

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:07 AM   #21
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Quote:
What do you mean halfway in the tank?

Lights are ~10 inches above the water and the anemone is ~14" under the water. Hasn't moved.

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:49 AM   #22
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Right the Asta20 has now been turned up to full. I have taken a few pic's both close up of the nem and Asta20, a wider view and a full tank shot below on my phone so don't shoot the cameraman.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180221_173611 (2).jpg (60.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180221_173600.jpg (64.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20180221_173538 (1).jpg (77.3 KB, 35 views)

Unread 02/21/2018, 02:30 PM   #23
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

A video review of the Asta20 over my H.magnifica nem and how ell the nem has perked up over the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfNQUK9AzU

Unread 02/23/2018, 07:19 AM   #24
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
A video review of the Asta20 over my H.magnifica nem and how ell the nem has perked up over the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfNQUK9AzU

Your tanks beautiful! And the nem sure does look happy.

Unread 02/23/2018, 07:29 AM   #25
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Quote:
Your tanks beautiful! And the nem sure does look happy.

Thank you for your kind words. The nem is certainly loving being under the new little light.