Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2018, 05:44 PM   #1
BrettDS
Registered Member

I think the Hanna Calcium checker gets a bad rap

After seeing some bad reviews online I still purchased a Hanna calcium checker a few months ago with a bit of trepidation. I will say that the test procedure was a little daunting at first and you only need .1ml of sample water, but it comes with a nice 100ul pipette that makes it pretty quick and easy to get .1ml every time. I believe that some earlier versions of the checker didn’t include this tool. Once you get used running the test it becomes second nature and really isn’t difficult to do.

I have been tweaking my alkalinity and calcium numbers a little and as such I have been testing daily The numbers I have been getting seem to be very accurate and predictable. I have been slowly raising my calcium and for the past 5 nights (after I increased my calcium dosing) the Hanna checker has shown an increase of exactly 6ppm every night.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 07:17 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

There are varying reports on this test device, as with all of the kits. I am not sure how many versions there have been, for that matter.

Unread 03/04/2018, 05:55 PM   #3
outssider
Registered Member

the original meter did not have that tool. the pipette came along quite a bit later after they got their bad rap......how accurate do you think the tool is ? ....what is 0.1ml ??...two or 3 drops ??

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 06:08 PM   #4
BrettDS
Registered Member

The tool seems extremely accurate to me. It comes with a little tip to put on the end of it and it’s hard to see in the picture, but the tip has graduated lines on it. The tool fills the tip to exactly the same line every single time.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 10:28 PM   #5
tlc
Registered Member

agreed. i had the older version with out the pipette. i ordered a pipette and results have been very consistent now

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 05:00 AM   #6
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
agreed. i had the older version with out the pipette. i ordered a pipette and results have been very consistent now
Second this. The old version did not give the micro piptette which I'm home was the cause of alot of accuracy issues. The pipette removed the main mechanical issue in the human workflow.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Mohammed
Registered Member

Hi,

Recently watched a review of the Hanna Calcium checker and it appears the step for dilution requires the DI water. The reviewer suggested using Hannah's DI water to dilute and also clean the equipment.

Most issues came with the use if RO/DI water from reefers RO unit.

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote