Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2017, 12:00 PM   #1
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Fish guaranteed to eat hair algae

I need a recommendation for a fish that's guaranteed to eat hair algae, peaceful but not prone to being bullied, and can comfortably thrive in a 320 gallon tank.

Bonus points if it is a centerpiece fish, as this is likely the last large fish I add to this tank.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Lincoln 993
Registered Member

Guarantee is a hard word... I've heard that Foxface eat hair algae. My biggest success was with using an Algae Scrubber (not the rough pad, but the DIY thing). Grow the hair algae in another place and then use it as fertilizer for my plants. People have good luck with refugiums too. The best way to deal with HA is nutrient control, and since I don't like doing water changes, I just trick the algae into growing somewhere else since in most cases I'm smarter than algae lol. Good luck!

Lincoln 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 01:05 PM   #3
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Thanks.

I'm not looking for nutrient control suggestions, just fish. Not trying to be rude, I just want it focused on fish.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 10/08/2017, 01:22 PM   #4
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

Most of the angels I have had will nibble on it in some amount. Unfortunately, they may also nibble on other things!

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Gweeds
Registered Member

There is no such thing as a fish that's 'guaranteed' to eat GHA... that's like saying every human is guaranteed to like broccoli... just doesn't happen. There are those fish MORE likely than not to eat it, including bristletooth tangs, foxfaces, algae blennies, dwarf angels and some damsels. That's not a definitive list obvs, add to that a plethora of inverts that'll eat it, like Mexican turbos, seahares, some urchins and mithrax crabs...

If what you're after is a 'guaranteed' way to remove GHA, that my friend, is elbow grease and nutrient export, not fish.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 04:38 PM   #6
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I've been contemplating a white tail bristletooth, a multibar angelfish, and a magnificent foxface. I've read bristletooth can become aggressive, I'm not sure how effective a multibar would be, and I'm a little concerned with how large foxfaces can become.

I also eyed a convict tang, but they're pricy on diver's den and kind of plain looking. I also don't know if my tank is really large enough.

Don't get hung up on "guaranteed". A 9/10 probability is fine.

Unread 10/08/2017, 05:11 PM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

I think any Zebrasoma so would be much more likely to eat hair algae than any Ctenochaetus (bristetooth) tang. How about a yellow, purple or scopus? What is your current fish list?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 05:31 PM   #8
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
I think any Zebrasoma so would be much more likely to eat hair algae than any Ctenochaetus (bristetooth) tang. How about a yellow, purple or scopus? What is your current fish list?
That's good info.

Maybe a purple... I just don't want aggression.

Currently, I've got:

2 False Percula clowns
2 Bristletail filefish
1 Copperband butterfly
2 Black Spot angelfish
5 Red Spot Cardinal fish
1 Starry Blenny
3 Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 2 female)

Unread 10/08/2017, 06:12 PM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Awesome stocklist. I understand why you would want to keep it peaceful, and you would be sick if something happened to that butterfly or those angels.

I like the magnificent foxface. Several big, Mexican turbo snails would probably help too, although it sounds like you want a fish.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 06:17 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Bristles aren't particularly good GHA eaters. My zebrasomas all eat it, as does my zebra tang (regular convict is good too). None of them will touch bryopsis though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 07:20 PM   #11
vinman
Registered Member

Lawnmower Blenny? Wouldn't be a centerpiece fish but would do the job i presume.

vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 07:33 PM   #12
AZReef13
Registered Member

The Court jester gobies; Koumansetta rainfordi, are also know to eat hair algae

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 07:56 PM   #13
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Bristles aren't particularly good GHA eaters. My zebrasomas all eat it, as does my zebra tang (regular convict is good too). None of them will touch bryopsis though.
How do you like the zebra? I mentioned convict before, but I really meant zebra.

Unread 10/08/2017, 07:57 PM   #14
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Awesome stocklist. I understand why you would want to keep it peaceful, and you would be sick if something happened to that butterfly or those angels.

I like the magnificent foxface. Several big, Mexican turbo snails would probably help too, although it sounds like you want a fish.
Thanks. The magnificent foxface is on the short list, for sure.

Unread 10/08/2017, 08:00 PM   #15
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
The Court jester gobies; Koumansetta rainfordi, are also know to eat hair algae
Interesting, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Lawnmower Blenny? Wouldn't be a centerpiece fish but would do the job i presume.
I'm afraid it might fight with my starry blenny. I've had one before, though. His name was Lenny, and he went carpet surfing a few years ago. Nice fish. In fact, I wrote a limerick about him after it happened. *Ahem*

There once was a blenny named Lenny
His accomplishments weren't very many
But he made me smile
Every once in a while
Until he carpet surfed at 4:20

Unread 10/08/2017, 08:12 PM   #16
karimwassef
Registered Member

real rabbitfish (double bar) - ravenous consumer of anything algae based

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 10:23 PM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
How do you like the zebra? I mentioned convict before, but I really meant zebra.
Behaves just like the regular convict, just a few extra stripes and a lot more $$$ . I personally think it is a very cool fish and worth the extra coin.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 10/08/2017, 10:26 PM   #18
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
real rabbitfish (double bar) - ravenous consumer of anything algae based
Thanks. Gets up to 11"? Yikes. Are they not very active swimmers?

Unread 10/08/2017, 10:26 PM   #19
karimwassef
Registered Member

not in captivity they don't.

mine is in an 8' tank and doing fine.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/08/2017, 10:31 PM   #20
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Behaves just like the regular convict, just a few extra stripes and a lot more $$$ . I personally think it is a very cool fish and worth the extra coin.
Yeah, those extra stripes are at a premium. I'm not really familiar with regular convicts, either. I feel bad keeping schooling fish as singles, so I'm not sure if I'd get just one, and at that price...not so sure.

Unread 10/08/2017, 10:35 PM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think groups of tangs in our tanks are problematic. I only ever keep one of each species (up to 10 at last count).

Unread 10/08/2017, 11:21 PM   #22
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Will foxfaces eat algae off the glass? Or, in my case, acrylic? Can their teeth scratch acrylic?

Unread 10/09/2017, 04:59 AM   #23
alton
Registered Member

The best fish is the Hawaiian Chevron Tang. Eats algae from rocks and glass. Look awesome as a juvy, blaw as a sub adult, but then neat as an adult.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 08:12 AM   #24
karimwassef
Registered Member

Rabbitfish mouths are designed to consume all kinds of vegetable matter - they are indiscriminate and constantly ravenous. Multiple scientific studies point to their critical ecological role in removing algae and recycling nutrients.

Unread 10/09/2017, 12:26 PM   #25
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Well, I just purchased a Magnificent Foxface from Diver's Den. It seemed like the best option for me, even though I had reservations about the size and venemous spines.

Thanks for the help, everyone!