Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2012, 09:27 AM   #226
citodickson
Registered Member

Hi Anthony, I hope I am not imposing too much. I have read the thread on sump flow and design and got lots of good info. I have a question about my current build. It will be a 150 tall (72x18x27) softies and LPS dominant with a 75 gallon sump. I plan on drilling three 1.5" holes in the display for a beananimal overflow. 2 with gate valves for siphon effect and excess and one for emergency backup. Have not yet selected a skimmer any suggestions for a budget restricted person? For return pump I was thinking Eheim 1262 which I plan to run over the top of the display and split into two return outlets. Will add Hydor Koralia powerheads in display to augment waterflow, any suggestions on how many? Have a sump design, how do I attach it?

citodickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 09:41 AM   #227
citodickson
Registered Member

sump design

Here is the sump image

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sump.pdf (48.6 KB, 176 views)
citodickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2013, 08:29 AM   #228
djdenv
Registered Member

citodickson: I like your design, but how do you limit the flow rate in the 2 chambers of your fuge?

djdenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2014, 01:37 PM   #229
MorgueMD
Registered Member

I got a 40 gallon breeder drilled in the bottom with a pipe stand overflow off of craigslist for $100, got a mag 5 plumbed from my sump into the fug. Lit with one of those rectangular cheap chinese LED fixtures. Put some live rock around the stand pipe, and now remove huge amounts of chaeto and caulerpa weekly. Also have snails reproducing and huge amounts of pods. This all for my two 200 gallon tanks. One working on SPS, the other established mixed fish/LPS tank. Thinking of going larger gallon wise in the future.

MorgueMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2014, 01:52 PM   #230
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgueMD View Post
I got a 40 gallon breeder drilled in the bottom with a pipe stand overflow off of craigslist for $100, got a mag 5 plumbed from my sump into the fug. Lit with one of those rectangular cheap chinese LED fixtures. Put some live rock around the stand pipe, and now remove huge amounts of chaeto and caulerpa weekly. Also have snails reproducing and huge amounts of pods. This all for my two 200 gallon tanks. One working on SPS, the other established mixed fish/LPS tank. Thinking of going larger gallon wise in the future.
what's your nitrate and phosphate readings

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2014, 02:50 PM   #231
MorgueMD
Registered Member

Phosphate .06 hana checker, do run 1/2 a BRS reactor of GFO changed monthly as well.

Nitrate .01, just above 0 on Salifert test

These have fallen slowly as the fuge has grown in over the last 12 months.

Do 40 gallon water changes monthly.

MorgueMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2014, 07:43 AM   #232
fishdoc11
catch and release

Quote:
Originally Posted by citodickson View Post
Hi Anthony, I hope I am not imposing too much. I have read the thread on sump flow and design and got lots of good info. I have a question about my current build. It will be a 150 tall (72x18x27) softies and LPS dominant with a 75 gallon sump. I plan on drilling three 1.5" holes in the display for a beananimal overflow. 2 with gate valves for siphon effect and excess and one for emergency backup. Have not yet selected a skimmer any suggestions for a budget restricted person? For return pump I was thinking Eheim 1262 which I plan to run over the top of the display and split into two return outlets. Will add Hydor Koralia powerheads in display to augment waterflow, any suggestions on how many? Have a sump design, how do I attach it?
FWIW A. Calfo hasn't posted on this board since around 2011 and hasn't been active on here since well before that.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 06:04 PM   #233
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgueMD View Post
Phosphate .06 hana checker, do run 1/2 a BRS reactor of GFO changed monthly as well.

Nitrate .01, just above 0 on Salifert test

These have fallen slowly as the fuge has grown in over the last 12 months.

Do 40 gallon water changes monthly.
suggest using Rowaphos as a gfo....will bring phosphates down to zero in less than a week

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote