Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Trashy Algae Scrubber

I have decided to build a Algae Scrubber. I have always run a very minimal bioload in my system, running a volume of over 200 gal and a DT that is 72x18x24. I have grown board with the 3 fish that I have had for the last 10 to 18 years. My Purple Tang is a great fish, it has been in my care for 18 years. My Clown hosted by a RBTA and my Coral Beauty are about 10 years in my care. I added a Blood Red Hawkfish about a year ago and recently a Niger Trigger. Triggers are what attracted me to Marine Aquariums to begin with but running a mixed reef tank has always keep me from Triggers. I am not getting any younger so I am moving away from a mix reef and leaning to stocking fish that I have wanted for years. This means a larger Bioload. First I have ordered a 72x30x24 tank to give me some more DT room but that will not be here for a month. In the meantime I have a Kleini Butterfly and a Flame Angel in my 55 gal QT waiting on the new tank. Since these fish are healthy and have been QT for over 30 days I have have connected the QT tank back to the main system. So my Bioload has increased quite a bit and my large Derasa Clam is showing stress because of it. I figured I will give a Algae Scrubber a try to help export some additional nutrient build up.

The scrubber is a simple PVC frame. I ran the 3/8 water delivery tube through the PVC frame to allow me to run as wide a scrubber mat as possible. The top spray bar lifts up to disconnect the 3/8 tubing and then can be removed complete to clean the mat. The water is delivered to the system via a prefiltered manifold running off the DT return line. The tube running out and across the top LH half of the frame is only used for support of the top of the frame. It runs out so that it is not interfering with the algae mat. The 4 tubes sticking out of the lower half of the frame are there to align the cover for the whole system. Then it extends down into the sump setting on the sump floor.

Speaking of the system cover and waterproof LEDs mounted inside of it, here is where the title of this thread comes from. This cover is made from a plastic TRASH can. The LED strip was sold with self adhesive tape already mounted to it but I knew that would not last long in the humid environment so I attached the LED strip using zip ties. Here are the pictures of the system.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180216_080218.jpg (55.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180216_080228.jpg (46.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180216_080158.jpg (44.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180216_080314.jpg (41.9 KB, 230 views)

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:09 AM   #2
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

That's a neat build, I like it, hopefully it works as well as you need.

Unread 02/16/2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ View Post
That's a neat build, I like it, hopefully it works as well as you need.
Thank you, we will see.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Unread 02/16/2018, 05:01 PM   #4
HBtank
Premium Member

That scrubber and PVC frame is basically garbage.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
That scrubber and PVC frame is basically garbage.
That is why I through it in the trash can.

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 02/16/2018 at 05:32 PM.
Unread 02/16/2018, 11:27 PM   #6
Ihuntbugs
Registered Member

Looks good. I made one for my 60 gallon mixed reef and took my skimmer off. Been 9 months. My tank looks great. Best of luck with yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ihuntbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 03:22 PM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

Very nice simple and easy design.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 03:56 PM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

I would think it should work just fine. Might take a while to see some growth, but should be fine.

My only concern would be the LED's not being bright enough to actually grow algae at a rate high enough to see a reduction in nutrients.

Decent DIY either way.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 06:40 PM   #9
on the spot
Registered Member

is..is that a Read Sea Berlin skimmer?

that is a way back machine you have there sir. I salute you.

also - nice work.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 06:51 PM   #10
rvareef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post

also - nice work.
good eye!

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 05:58 AM   #11
JMetaxas
Registered Member

I love the simplicity !! ATS's are really being used more and more.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 08:02 AM   #12
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihuntbugs View Post
Looks good. I made one for my 60 gallon mixed reef and took my skimmer off. Been 9 months. My tank looks great. Best of luck with yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! I hope to see some positive results. If not, no big deal, I gave it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Very nice simple and easy design.
Thank you, simple is what I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I would think it should work just fine. Might take a while to see some growth, but should be fine.

My only concern would be the LED's not being bright enough to actually grow algae at a rate high enough to see a reduction in nutrients.

Decent DIY either way.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback on the LEDs. I have some ideas to increase the LED lighting if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post

also - nice work.
Thank.you! This system has been running for 18 years with little equipment updates. It still works like champ. "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". That said if I invested $500 in a new skimmer I might not need to consider using Algae Scrubber. Who knows, Maybe this scrubber will allow me to use the Red Sea skimmer another 18 years? If not I can always jump on the latest and greatest thing in skimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvareef View Post
good eye!
I know but ain't it cool! 😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
I love the simplicity !! ATS's are really being used more and more.
Thank you! ATS's have been around forever with very mixed results and strong opinions. I think because the original ATS's designs were large and difficult to maintain keep alot of people away. Like many ideas or methods, someone finds a simpler and what appears just as affect method allowing more people to give it a try. I think that is were we are with the ATS. Some will love them some will hate them.