Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2006, 10:33 PM   #26
Infinitereef
Premium Member

That is the reason why I spend the extra $$ on Spectrapure. The customer service is the best I seen.

Anyway, On Thursday, I sanitized my whole system according to BFS instruction. Then I took the Membrance and soak in Hydrogen peroxide for 30mins according to Charles instruction.

I restart the whole system and the TDS coming out of the RO is now back to around 2-3 ppm. My tap water is around 230-250ppm. So, it work out pretty good.

Thx so much for all the valuable info, I learnt many things through these. Eventually, I need to filter the bacteria coming from my tap to solve this long term.

Infinitereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2006, 12:07 PM   #27
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

A very good example on why you look to high quality RO/DI suppliers. I would have thought the membrane was a loss but someone knows a trick somewhere and this one worked. You don't get this from your e-bay suppliers who no long know you when a problem like this come up.

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Current Tank Info: 40 OCEANIC STRETCH HEX FRESH HEAVY PLANTED, 58 OCEANIC LPS, Monti’s ,Softy’s, 18 Nano Zoo’s , 11 Nano, 70 OCEANIC SPS New 200 Cube on the way
Thefilterguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 01:26 PM   #28
Infinitereef
Premium Member

Let me give an update on this issue so that everyone can be benefitted by it.

After my previous post, I left for a business trip for 2 weeks. So for 2 weeks my RODI system is pretty much stagnant.

So when I came back and started the system again, I smell the bad odors again from my RO output. This is within my expectations as I can imagine the water being stagnant for 2 weeks. My RO output reads 20ppms.

So, i took out the membrance and sterilize it again with Hydrogen Peroxide again. This time I notice that the Red slime on the edge of the membrance is barely noticeable. I rinse the Membrance housing with bleach. Put back the system and my RO out reads 2ppm TDS again.

The next day, I received the "special" cartridges from Spectrapure. What i was told is that this is the new 0.2um absolute prefilter that will remove Virius and bacteria and should last 5 times longer than conventional filter.

i swap out the prefilter and carbon block with this new set of cartridges. Amazingly, my RO out reads 0 ppm with this new prefilter!!. My pressure stay at 60psi and i will continue to monitor how long this 0.2um plug up. My concern for this is that since the micron is so low, it might plug up pretty quickly. But we shall see. My area i guess is the best place to test this since my local water contain a lot of sediment.

I still smells the bad odors for about 10-20secs when the output start running. After discussing this with Charles from Spectrapure, here is my next step.

1. Take out the filter cartridges and fill all the housing with Hydrogen peroxide.
2. With only the membrance in the housing, I will start my RODI system with Hygrogen peroxide .
3. When the output water starts trickling out, shut off the system and hopefully the pressurize hydrogen peroxide will get int o the thin layer of the membrance.
4. soak the membrance for 30mins.

My previous method only soak the exterior of the membrance and thus I guess the bacteria still exist inside.

Unread 11/13/2006, 01:39 PM   #29
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Right - this is the kind of difficulties I referenced in my post above. Most of the time, especially with these small point-of-use systems we use in this hobby, its less painful to just replace a biofouled membrane. But if you have the patience to stick with it, please keep us posted.

Russ @ BFS

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2007, 02:37 PM   #30
Infinitereef
Premium Member

Just to give an update to make sure this is time tested.

Since my last post on 11/13 with the Hydrogen peroxide to get rid of my Bacteria-foul membrance, my RO membrance is doing great with no bad smells. The RO output reads around 001 ppm.

I contribute this to 2 things

1. The 0.2um absolute pre-filter is effective is filtering out the Bacteria and Virus as it claim it does.
2. running the Hydrogen peroxide under pressure in the membrance does indeed cure my issue.

The 0.2um last much longer than I anticipated. It had been 2 months and the pressure gauge still reads like the 1st time.

Unread 01/05/2007, 04:16 PM   #31
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Infinitereef-
Glad you are experiencing first hand the long life of our new Zeta Zorb sediment filter. It has truly amazing filter capacity resulting in extremely long life in the most challenging sediment conditions, plus it has the ability to remove bacteria and viruses that cause biofouling as it is a true 0.2 micron absolute filter. The other benefit you will see is your carbon block filter will last much longer as it will no longer be acting as a secondary sediment filter, instead it can do its job of removing VOC's etc etc. Of course, if your sediment filter protects your carbon filter, it will also be protecting your ro membrane as well. Basically, your sediment filter is the first link in your total system performance, and can greatly effect your long term operational cost to produce good clean water. Contrary to some thinking, the Zeta Zorb shows you can have super capacity and ultra filtration in the same filter. Keep us posted on the life you get from your filter.