Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2017, 11:10 PM   #2351
balz3352
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I always recommend full disassembly of any reactor. Re-assemble with some teflon paste. Most of the time they are put together with teflon tape, tef tape is junk for this application.

In your case the uniseals may be a pain.

That ph probe holder looks like it has seen better days. Maybe time to replace it.
I actually had to replace the uniseals which actually turned into permanently weldon 40 pvc into place so that's no longer an issue now I agree probably going to have to replace the ph holder. Which im not looking forward to.

balz3352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 02:26 PM   #2352
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

I just picked up a 7523-80 with an easy load 3!!! Hurt my wallet but I hope my tank will be more stable from now on.

Where can i find L/S 17 tubing in a SMALL quantity. I doubt I need 25' worth.. or is anyone willing to sell me a foot or two?

I was also looking at the Tygon Pharmed: but I dont know which size I need.

LS17 = 3/8 OD and 1/4 ID, correct?

Also, another foot question: When the demand of my tank goes up, do I just increase the effluent flow? what is the process to increase my output without tweaking everything? (I will be setting up next week so I have no other experience with the unit yet)

MRC CR2 Dual
Masterflex 7523-80 Easy Load 3
Carbon Doser Regulator
Apex - with BRS double junction probe
Reborn TLF - 8lb media

Thanks guys.

Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 02:57 PM   #2353
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
I just picked up a 7523-80 with an easy load 3!!! Hurt my wallet but I hope my tank will be more stable from now on.

Where can i find L/S 17 tubing in a SMALL quantity. I doubt I need 25' worth.. or is anyone willing to sell me a foot or two?

Also, another foot question: When the demand of my tank goes up, do I just increase the effluent flow? what is the process to increase my output without tweaking everything? (I will be setting up next week so I have no other experience with the unit yet)

MRC CR2 Dual
Carbon Doser Regulator
Reborn TLF - 8lb media

Thanks guys.
Welcome to the club! Most of us are using pharmed bpt tubing from us plastics. Take a look at the first couple posts in this thread. It has a direct link to the tube. Iirc it's the fourth direct link from usp. You're correct. You want the 3/8 od 1/4 id tube.

You'll want to increase both gas flow and effluent the same percentage or just the gas flow while adjusting for increased demand. If you do just the gas, eventually your ph will be too low and you'll have to bump the effluent up to bring ph back to a normal level. This is why I usually just increase them both. You're aiming for a 6.5 to 6.3ph inside the reactor.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 07:31 PM   #2354
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

MRC CR2 Dual
Carbon Doser Regulator
Reborn TLF - 8lb media

Thanks guys.
I have that same pump with the Easy Load 2 head. You will love that pump! I am guessing you bought the one on eBay? If so, did that particular head support the LS17 tubing? I ask because not all do.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 12:06 AM   #2355
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I have that same pump with the Easy Load 2 head. You will love that pump! I am guessing you bought the one on eBay? If so, did that particular head support the LS17 tubing? I ask because not all do.
Yes it does support LS17, it said it on the close up pic of the head. It was extremely expensive for my needs but I figured it was a long term investment as with everything in this hobby.

Quote:
Welcome to the club! Most of us are using pharmed bpt tubing from us plastics. Take a look at the first couple posts in this thread. It has a direct link to the tube. Iirc it's the fourth direct link from usp. You're correct. You want the 3/8 od 1/4 id tube.

You'll want to increase both gas flow and effluent the same percentage or just the gas flow while adjusting for increased demand. If you do just the gas, eventually your ph will be too low and you'll have to bump the effluent up to bring ph back to a normal level. This is why I usually just increase them both. You're aiming for a 6.5 to 6.3ph inside the reactor.
Thank you for the welcome and wisedom. I went ahead and ordered the parts.

My tank is only 10g with a 7.5 sump. Its small and my setup may be a bit overkill, but whats a good starting point to tune my reactor? I was going to do 30bpm and 30ml per minute. (I also need to mess with my apex to start the set points up as well).

I guess my main concern would be ph in a tank that small, but with a two chamber reactor, I am hoping my ph will climb a bit.

Unread 06/05/2017, 11:00 AM   #2356
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Yes it does support LS17, it said it on the close up pic of the head. It was extremely expensive for my needs but I figured it was a long term investment as with everything in this hobby.

Thank you for the welcome and wisedom. I went ahead and ordered the parts.

My tank is only 10g with a 7.5 sump. Its small and my setup may be a bit overkill, but whats a good starting point to tune my reactor? I was going to do 30bpm and 30ml per minute. (I also need to mess with my apex to start the set points up as well).

I guess my main concern would be ph in a tank that small, but with a two chamber reactor, I am hoping my ph will climb a bit.
30 bmp and 30ml will likely be way high for a 10g tank let alone a small reactor. I assume you will be monitoring pH? I find that about 1 bubble every 3 seconds at 40ml/min flow will keep my pH at around 6.5 in my Geo 818 reactor which is a huge reactor. It's going to depend on size but as for the bubble rate, that will be dependent on the reactor size and flow rate. Flow rate will be dependent on the tanks Ca and Alk consumption. First thing you will want to do is get your tank to the target Ca and Alk settings that you desire. The run a Ca and alk test each day to determine how much the Ca and Alk is dropping a day. From there you can fine tune the reactors flow rates to keep up with the tanks needs. I would suggest determining what pH range is recommended for the media you are running in your reactor. Then target that pH range by adjusting the Co2 rate. Adjust the flow rate to keep up with the tanks needs. On a 10g display, your likely going to be looking at a much lower flow rate that you are thinking. Could be as low as 5ml/min..

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 08:07 PM   #2357
tkeracer619
Registered Member

On my 34 gal I am running the lowest RPM (10), 3psi on the reg, and a bubble every couple seconds. I don't know the ph in the reactor but it keeps up.

I'd likely set the pump to 3 to 5 rpm. Reg to 3 psi. And slowly increase the gas bubble rate until the tank becomes stable. It won't be much. Make sure to test several times a day. In a tank that small you could overdose quickly so start small, make small adjustments, and take your time!

I thought mine was overkill for a 34gal, you sir are an inspiration

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2017, 02:36 PM   #2358
scuzy
Registered Member

So if I want to increase my alk a bit do I inject more co2 or increased co2 and drip more ml/min?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 12:18 AM   #2359
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
30 bmp and 30ml will likely be way high for a 10g tank let alone a small reactor. I assume you will be monitoring pH? I find that about 1 bubble every 3 seconds at 40ml/min flow will keep my pH at around 6.5 in my Geo 818 reactor which is a huge reactor. It's going to depend on size but as for the bubble rate, that will be dependent on the reactor size and flow rate. Flow rate will be dependent on the tanks Ca and Alk consumption. First thing you will want to do is get your tank to the target Ca and Alk settings that you desire. The run a Ca and alk test each day to determine how much the Ca and Alk is dropping a day. From there you can fine tune the reactors flow rates to keep up with the tanks needs. I would suggest determining what pH range is recommended for the media you are running in your reactor. Then target that pH range by adjusting the Co2 rate. Adjust the flow rate to keep up with the tanks needs. On a 10g display, your likely going to be looking at a much lower flow rate that you are thinking. Could be as low as 5ml/min..

Quote:
On my 34 gal I am running the lowest RPM (10), 3psi on the reg, and a bubble every couple seconds. I don't know the ph in the reactor but it keeps up.

I'd likely set the pump to 3 to 5 rpm. Reg to 3 psi. And slowly increase the gas bubble rate until the tank becomes stable. It won't be much. Make sure to test several times a day. In a tank that small you could overdose quickly so start small, make small adjustments, and take your time!

I thought mine was overkill for a 34gal, you sir are an inspiration
Thanks for the tips guys. I will be sure to:
Set PSI to 3
Start the regulator at 10 seconds per bubble
Masterflex lowest RPM possible

The reactor is a MRC CR2 Dual chamber. 18" x 5" diameter. Probably has enough volume to equate my tank itself haha But I hope the extra time in the second chamber can help with my pH.

Tank and reactor will be Apex controlled and I am using TLF Reborn Media.

I will be sure to post pictures of my setup, everything should be coming in by friday..

Please feel free to ask me more questions or offer insight. Been reading a ton these past few months but now that its actually coming together its a bit overwhelming.

Thanks to this thread and advice thus far, I am slowly gaining some confidence.

Unread 06/07/2017, 01:00 PM   #2360
scuzy
Registered Member

I'm at 100ml/min right now and my carx ph is at 6.5. just to maintain alk at 7.9-8.1. if I want to increase it do it increases effluent or more co2?

Unread 06/07/2017, 01:40 PM   #2361
vhuang168
Registered Member

Both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 01:48 PM   #2362
scuzy
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Figure that was the case just that I see some of you only pushing 40ml/min with larger tanks than I have.

Unread 06/07/2017, 02:34 PM   #2363
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Figure that was the case just that I see some of you only pushing 40ml/min with larger tanks than I have.

Tank size is somewhat irrelevant. It is about the corals demand for Alk & Ca. A 200 wit 3 SPS is going to require less than a 90 with 50 SPS. That being said, what is your Mag level? Your Alk could be precipitating out if mag is low.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 02:37 PM   #2364
scuzy
Registered Member

Hmm I haven't tested mag in awhile. I'll have to check on that. Thanks for reminding me.

Unread 06/07/2017, 02:43 PM   #2365
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
I'm at 100ml/min right now and my carx ph is at 6.5. just to maintain alk at 7.9-8.1. if I want to increase it do it increases effluent or more co2?

I would check the dKH of the effluent. If it is low you may want to push the ph down and decrease the flow. If yor flow is high than the amount dissolved decreases. That is why you should set a flow rate and just adjust the ph up or down, bubble rate and/or PSI, till you get close to turning the media to mush, than increase the flow. If you fill in part 3 of this calculator it will show the various flow rates and effluent levels to meet your tanks demand. Just don't pick a supplement.

http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 06:26 PM   #2366
DanConnor
Registered Member

Is a masterflex ok pumping against some pressure? I want to restrict the exit of my calcium reactor a bit.

DanConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 06:28 PM   #2367
vhuang168
Registered Member

Is it already at the slowest speed?

If it is and you need to lower effluent dkh, raise the pH in the reactor by lowering bubble count

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 08:54 PM   #2368
DanConnor
Registered Member

Nothing to do with chemistry. I have a tiny pinhole air leak somewhere in the reactor I can't find. When I was driving it with a submersible pump and restricted exit, no problem, but with the masterflex and open exit, problem. And yes, testing the submersible pump with open exit has the problem too.

I intend to replace the top half of the reactor, but am going on vacation next week...

Unread 06/07/2017, 10:24 PM   #2369
Ssteve
Registered Member

So it's sucking in air? If you have it setup to push through and you add a restriction post reactor all you'll do is cause your reactor to leak.

Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 05:08 AM   #2370
DanConnor
Registered Member

Well, it ran that way fine for a number of months before I switched to the masterflex and removed the exit restriction. Just the slight positive pressure was enough to minimize the air intake.

Unread 06/08/2017, 03:24 PM   #2371
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

So they've didn't send me the power cable for the masterflex 7523-80. It says it's 115/230v AC.

I was able to pick up a 110/120v AC computer cable from bestbuy.

I will be running the pump at its lowest settings for my purpose, but will I encounter any power issues by using an underpowered cable?

Thanks

Unread 06/08/2017, 08:30 PM   #2372
Jlentz
Registered Member

Quote:
So they've didn't send me the power cable for the masterflex 7523-80. It says it's 115/230v AC.

I was able to pick up a 110/120v AC computer cable from bestbuy.

I will be running the pump at its lowest settings for my purpose, but will I encounter any power issues by using an underpowered cable?

Thanks

No. It's an IEC cable. Just copper. No actual difference.

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 09:46 PM   #2373
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlentz View Post
No. It's an IEC cable. Just copper. No actual difference.

I just plugged it in. But no power...... fml.

Unread 06/08/2017, 09:54 PM   #2374
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Man, I am pretty ****ed. It is my fault that assumed the power cord was included in the sale but obviously since I didnt state it the seller didnt put it in.

Anyone know where I can pick up a power cord?

Unread 06/08/2017, 10:19 PM   #2375
scuzy
Registered Member

It's just a standard computer power cord. Most people have these laying around.