Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Oh man, I never had an addiction to anything until now! I will say that for the first few weeks after the tank was gone it felt good but then it hit me. No auto delivery for my bucket of salt, no running to the lfs for pe mysis and I wasnt checking divers den every night to see what was being posted. I cant wait to get my tank up again!!!!
My name is Alex and I'm an addict too. I think we all are. Can't wait to see this monstrosity take shape!!! If all goes well in my tank, I'll be tempting you with free frags to get you started before your 9 month "no SPS" rule.

The worst thing an addict needs is another one around...or a whole forum of them for that matter.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2013, 10:02 AM   #27
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
My name is Alex and I'm an addict too. I think we all are. Can't wait to see this monstrosity take shape!!! If all goes well in my tank, I'll be tempting you with free frags to get you started before your 9 month "no SPS" rule.

The worst thing an addict needs is another one around...or a whole forum of them for that matter.
someone needs to update their own thread and especially update your signature. didnt you make some lighting changes???????

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2013, 10:58 AM   #28
milonedp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Doug are you using filter socks? Are the drains and return line close? I ask because I am setting up a Rubbermaid stock tank for my sump too

Corey
I do have socks but I want to dump them just reduces the pod population too much given the limited benefit and the drains and return are pretty close and there is no real directional flow going on, I need to do something but was waiting till I had everything else the way I wanted so I only need to partition it out once...

If you have more questions feel free to PM me or I can get back to my thread, just been so little time with the new baby so I've only been reading RC off and on...

To see my 450g Display Tank / 600g System build thread click on my username and select "Visit milonedp's homepage!"

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Reef
milonedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2013, 11:25 AM   #29
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
someone needs to update their own thread and especially update your signature. didnt you make some lighting changes???????
Signature updated...working on thread update too. I probably should ask mods to move it to this forum, but I barely make the club among people like yourself that keep swimming pools in their house...

Unread 10/31/2013, 09:32 AM   #30
nightOwl
Premium Member

I am along for this ride as well...glad to see you getting back in the game.

Unread 10/31/2013, 11:07 AM   #31
SPotter
Registered Member

thanks for joining in Henry! I was out at the house yesterday to check on progress and see if the electricians had started yet. It was exciting to see wires hanging everywhere and more importantly....the additional outlets I had requested for the tank area inside the house and out in the garage. I had also asked the builder to install a 4" dryer vent in the area where the canopy will be. Plumbers are supposed to come by next week and install more pvc lines to run from the tank into the garage. We are still looking at a February completion date.

Im still undecided on who will build the tank, whether it will be glass or acrylic or hybrid (never ending debate) and whether the stand will be wood or steel. So this will keep me busy for the next few weeks and hope to have something on order by early January.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 10/31/2013, 01:26 PM   #32
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Thanks for the update Steve. I am happy for you and your fam.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Noamurmac
Registered Member

Will be following That pump looks really cool!

Noamurmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2013, 07:47 PM   #34
owenspackman
Registered Member

keep the updates coming Steve!

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 08:25 AM   #35
milonedp
Registered Member

Glad it's coming along. Not sure if it's too late or not but you may want to consider larger duct work than 4", I'm finding I need to be able to bent more than I can through the 4"that I had put in.

To see my 450g Display Tank / 600g System build thread click on my username and select "Visit milonedp's homepage!"

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Reef
milonedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Following along and subscribed Steve! I love the flow diverter, it's on my list of upgrades and changes to my system! If I would have known about these at time of build, would have likely designed the closed loop differently!

***You are required to attend MACNA in Denver this year so you can meet all the Large Tank guys!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 10:14 AM   #37
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Feel like someone is watching you? Yeah, that's me. Spooky isn't it.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 01:22 PM   #38
daytripp01
Registered Member

Following along for the ride and have subscribed. Cant wait to see this at the end !

daytripp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 02:37 PM   #39
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Following along and subscribed Steve! I love the flow diverter, it's on my list of upgrades and changes to my system! If I would have known about these at time of build, would have likely designed the closed loop differently!

***You are required to attend MACNA in Denver this year so you can meet all the Large Tank guys!
I will let you know how the diverter is when I receive it. I should have it next week. As far as Denver goes, I will start working on that now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Feel like someone is watching you? Yeah, that's me. Spooky isn't it.
LOL....its very spooky Bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripp01 View Post
Following along for the ride and have subscribed. Cant wait to see this at the end !
Thanks for joining in!!!! Things will be a little slow going for a couple of months still.

Unread 11/08/2013, 03:18 PM   #40
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

outstanding!!!!!!! that's going to be a beast of a system....150 g live rock tank, great idea; will keep no3 in check. perfect lighting choice!!!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 04:00 PM   #41
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
outstanding!!!!!!! that's going to be a beast of a system....150 g live rock tank, great idea; will keep no3 in check. perfect lighting choice!!!!
Hey Corey!!!! How's your tank doing? I'm going to pack the rock tank with all live rock from TBS.

Unread 11/10/2013, 08:25 AM   #42
SPotter
Registered Member

Acrylic it will be.....

So after getting the final upgrades bill from our house builder (ouch!) and getting quotes from various tank builders for glass and acrylic tanks....I am going to go with an acrylic tank. The two big reasons for this is cost and weight of the tank. I am looking at Envision and Midwest Custom Acrylic as potential builders. Both of them have excellent reputations. If anyone has any other suggestions on an acrylic builder please let me know.

Next item up for discussion is the garage fish room. I am trying to decide between building a fish room from scratch or buying a vinyl shed. I like the idea of the vinyl shed because it "should" be easier to construct but not sure if it will be good longterm for my needs. I will be placing a split ac unit in the fish room so I dont know how insulated or air tight the sheds are. So what is everyones thought....build it from scratch or buy a vinyl shed????

Unread 11/10/2013, 08:51 AM   #43
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I'd say build it from scratch, the vinyl shed will likely not insulate well and it'd probably come out more expensive because of the poor insulation in the long run!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2013, 09:40 AM   #44
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I'd say build it from scratch, the vinyl shed will likely not insulate well and it'd probably come out more expensive because of the poor insulation in the long run!
That's what I was thinking. I was out at the house yesterday and there's a bunch of lumber laying near the dumpster. I'm trying to get my builder to put it in my garage for future use.

Unread 11/10/2013, 10:22 PM   #45
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I was out at the house yesterday and there's a bunch of lumber laying near the dumpster. I'm trying to get my builder to put it in my garage for future use.
The shed will more than likely be unfinished inside. Smack some insulation between the studs, secure it to the ground/slab, and cut a hole in the wall large enough for the ac unit you'll be running. If you want you can even cut a hole in the ceiling and have a fan installed with a damper to pull the heat of the equipment out of the shed. You may never need the AC unit. The taller you can have the ceiling in the shed the better.

JMO.

Unread 11/18/2013, 10:08 AM   #46
daytripp01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
The shed will more than likely be unfinished inside. Smack some insulation between the studs, secure it to the ground/slab, and cut a hole in the wall large enough for the ac unit you'll be running. If you want you can even cut a hole in the ceiling and have a fan installed with a damper to pull the heat of the equipment out of the shed. You may never need the AC unit. The taller you can have the ceiling in the shed the better.

JMO.
If you can afford it use spray foam insulation for a water tight/airtight seal and better thermal efficiency to keep it warm in the winter and cool and dry in the summer. It might cost abit up front but it will pay off in the long run!

daytripp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 07:33 PM   #47
iggy097
Registered Member

Love to see this in person when it's done - I'm in Johns Island

iggy097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 07:51 PM   #48
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy097 View Post
Thanks for tagging along! Always nice to find new local reefers!

Unread 11/18/2013, 09:05 PM   #49
owenspackman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy097 View Post
another local reefer! fantastic! i'm just down the road from you.

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 09:07 PM   #50
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Steve can't wait for this one. I love the lighting decision. You may want to consider led strips instead of the VHO's mainly because the bulbs are getting harder and harder to find by the day and the blue lights on the LED's put out a very nice color. I also recommend you get select a watt ballasts eventually you're gonna go with 400 watters, just wait and see lol. Anyway awesome to have a new thread going for you!