Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2017, 01:40 PM   #1
bmbarbou
Registered Member

120 Gallon Build

Well, the reef bug has bit me and decided to step into the saltwater world. I have had an all male peacock/hap african cichlid tank for 2 years and wanted to make a build for my office at work. I have spent over a year reading about information and want to build this one time and one time only. With that being said, y'all know much more about this side of the hobby then I do so I am always looking for feedback, suggestions and constructive criticism.

So back to it. I decided on a 120 gallon 4x2x2 Aquarium. I liked the extra depth that was given by this dimension. After making the hard decision of the tank, I got to start the frame for the stand. I am by no means a carpenter, just a flooring company owner so my woodworking skills are just enough to get by but I did not like the stands that were sold in the store so I was going to build my own. This is the pictures from the framing.

[IMG] [/IMG]

bmbarbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 02:16 PM   #2
bmbarbou
Registered Member

Skinning the frame

Also this past week I was able to try my woodworking skills again and worked on skinning the outside of the stand. The outside plywood was red oak and I used oak corner molding and oak 1x4's for the trim. I will add, I did not have much luck with the rotozip for cutting the plywood openings out. This has lead me to have to do overlay doors rather then inset which I really did not want to do. When I went to put the bottom trim on I realized that it was not going to leave a big enough panel reveal so I cut them down to about 1 1/2" for the bottom floor trim. The stand was then painted white with kilz and exterior finish paint on the inside and stained with golden oak oil based stain on the exterior. Today I have some more packages coming by mail. I have bought a trigger 39 sapphire sump because of how beautiful it is, a 16" Synergy overflow and blue schedule 40 piping. I am also trying to decide whether I am going to paint the back of the tank blue or black? What is everyone's opinion? My next project over the weekend will be drilling out the back of the tank, setting it up for a bean animal drain and installing the overflow. After I get past this stage is where I will for sure be having some questions on recommendations for how to plumb for the returns (drilled back of the tank or over the edge) and different choices for protein skimmers and powerheads.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Unread 12/08/2017, 11:50 PM   #3
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

No pictures can be seen

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 02:45 PM   #4
bmbarbou
Registered Member

I am trying to get a hang of this picture thing. I uploaded them to photobucket and then used the link that they gave me and they are not showing up. Can anyone tell me exactly how they upload their pictures?

Unread 12/10/2017, 03:03 PM   #5
bmbarbou
Registered Member

Unread 12/10/2017, 03:13 PM   #6
bmbarbou
Registered Member

Unread 12/10/2017, 03:31 PM   #7
bmbarbou
Registered Member

Unread 12/10/2017, 09:08 PM   #8
bmbarbou
Registered Member

Rock and Sand

As you can see, I am still working on pictures. Maybe tomorrow at the office I might be able to get it fully figured out. Since time is not of the essence here, does anyone see a problem or personal problems with being dry pukani rock and letting it cure for a couple of weeks? I am also trying to figure out what kind of sand I might want to use.

Unread 12/12/2017, 11:39 PM   #9
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

The stand looks good & very stable. Check brs, they did a video on pukani rocks.

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote