Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2017, 07:58 AM   #326
tenurepro
Registered Member

Here is the official 18 month update! Can’t believe we are at a year and a half already. Do check out the color and growth on the myagi Tort... sweet!
https://youtu.be/nx3VX4BfTto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 10:09 AM   #327
mystikal
Registered Member

Everything looks great!
Did your powerhead push some of the sand away from the front?

Unread 12/25/2017, 09:22 AM   #328
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal View Post
Everything looks great!
Did your powerhead push some of the sand away from the front?

Thanks Man. Nope I removed most of the sand... only a bit in the back for the wrasses to sleep in!

Unread 12/25/2017, 09:22 AM   #329
tenurepro
Registered Member

Happy holidays all!
Tank is ticking along. I added a royal gramma to the display yesterday after a month of qt. Now i have a total of 10 fish (2 clowns, 3 chromis, 2 wrasses, 1 tang, 1 yellow watchmen goby, 1 Royal gramma)

Also another milestone. One of my chromis now sleeps in the Acropora tort colony... very happy to see this as it’s something that chromis do in nature...

Here is a little video showing this
https://youtu.be/ojE5jLQrQLQ

Cheers and wishing you all the best for 2018!

Unread 01/02/2018, 10:27 PM   #330
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hope you all had a good break!

Things are going well here... one upcoming change; while I am happy with my lights (3 x radion xr15 gen 3) and sps colors and growth (as of late), I couldn’t resist the temptation to order the new diffusers that ecotech just released a few weeks ago. The BRS tv review suggests that they do a good job of spreading out the light and par. This comes at a cost of reducing overall par by 20% but i am not running my lights anywhere near max intensity.

The diffusers are due here in about a week, so will run some par and coverage tests once I get them. I took some par reading around the tank today. I have the 120 wide angle lenses and I am running the lights at 70% max on sps ab+ program. The plan is to swap the 120 deg lenses with the standard 80 deg lenses and then add the diffusers and measure par at 70% max intensity. This - in theory - should get me close to the par levels I have now but with more even coverage...
I’ll post with more details when I get the gear.

Mean while, some pics from today! Best wishes for 2018!

Unread 01/09/2018, 08:34 PM   #331
tenurepro
Registered Member

Ok... wow
Radion xr15 with 80 deg lens + diffuser seriously outperform 120 deg wide angle lenses!

[MEDIA=youtube]oRqzWpJlqA4[/MEDIA]

Unread 01/10/2018, 07:51 PM   #332
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

You have great polyp extension in several of those SPS pictures you posted. Do you get that great extension all day long most days?

Several of my own SPS don't extend much during the day. I usually see the most extension soon after the lights go out at night. I'll turn the lights back on and get great pictures at that time.

Wondering if what I do is common. Any thoughts?

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:00 PM   #333
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
You have great polyp extension in several of those SPS pictures you posted. Do you get that great extension all day long most days?

Several of my own SPS don't extend much during the day. I usually see the most extension soon after the lights go out at night. I'll turn the lights back on and get great pictures at that time.

Wondering if what I do is common. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the late replay; for some reason, Tapatalk doesn’t notify me of updates on this forum!
But yes I get that extension during daylights. On some sps, I get less PE at night. I used to get much better PE out of some sps (like the milli) when I used to spot feed them with reefeoids

Unread 01/14/2018, 06:56 PM   #334
tenurepro
Registered Member

Here are my thoughts on the iPhone X for reef photo and video + a comparison w/ iPhone 6

The camera is pretty sweet; the optical zoom is solid permitting some nice closeups of your corals. White balance is really good (assuming light is around 12k or less). Pictures and videos are sharp. Here is a link to a video review along with a few sample shots (taken with radions set to 12k, phone set to auto and no post processing).

I am pleased!

[MEDIA=youtube]MVvyTKrDEmw[/MEDIA]

Pink mystic montipora with blueberry wine acro. Not acro growing over monti

RR pink Cadillac

Cali Tort

RR orange passion

Habanero

ORA blue voodoo

Electric myagi Tort

Unread 01/20/2018, 05:03 PM   #335
tenurepro
Registered Member

19 month update! Yay
https://youtu.be/CSJy-Q2aP_U

Unread 01/23/2018, 02:23 PM   #336
merlin416
Registered Member

awesome tank build bro, i just got my reefer 250 waiting to be set up, and will be running with 2 XR15 gen 4 on the side and XR30 Gen 4 in the middle, and maybe all with the diffusers. How do you like the diffusers on your XR15s? please provide some reviews.

thanks

merlin416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 06:35 PM   #337
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin416 View Post
awesome tank build bro, i just got my reefer 250 waiting to be set up, and will be running with 2 XR15 gen 4 on the side and XR30 Gen 4 in the middle, and maybe all with the diffusers. How do you like the diffusers on your XR15s? please provide some reviews.

thanks

Awesome- sounds like a great setup; the 4 lights will be super.
Check out my review of the diffuser above and below!

Unread 01/24/2018, 06:35 PM   #338
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hi All. I got several requests for a full comparison of the diffuser on both the 80 and 120 Deg lenses.

In summary
In terms of par, we get
80>80+D>120>120+D (where d= diffuser)
In terms of Best spread of light, we get
120+D>120>80+D>80

For me the best compromise of par and spread came with the 80 deg lens plus diffuser

Here is the vid
https://youtu.be/G9Tn2n7zzlA

Unread 02/01/2018, 03:59 AM   #339
clk51212
Registered Member

Thxs for the Test was thinking about getting the diffuser

clk51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 06:51 PM   #340
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hi All, got some triton ICP testing done - see below. Overall, parameters are decent. No signs of heavy metals. Most core and trace parameters are decent, except for sulfur and iodine which are really high. Not sure why; possible measuring error? Tank is looking good so not sure I want to do anything drastic
One positive thing was that I got to double check my testing kits by doing a battery of test during the same time I took the ICP samples
Calcium; salifert 460 vs ICP 457
Mag: salifert 1455 vs ICP 1438
Potassium salifert 450 vs ICP 457
Salifert kits were bang on.
Oddly I measured 0.37 ppm phosphates with the Hanna ULR but got 0.193 on the ICP.

Unread 02/02/2018, 06:54 PM   #341
tenurepro
Registered Member

And some eye candy

And I finally managed to get my hands on a frag that I’ve been wanting for a very long time! The fabled ice fire echinata... it has some coloring up to do but can’t wait!

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:02 AM   #342
tenurepro
Registered Member

Here is my 20 month update...
ran into a bit of trouble...
1) vectra m1 died overnight because of a driver issue; i didn't have a backup pump so i ran out the next day and got a jecod dcs4000... if you've been following this build, then you'll remeber that i started off with a jecod dcs4000 but i returned it because it was NOISY! The new jecod is virtually silent... on the same level as the vectra! Perhaps my first one was a lemon. Good to have a backup return!
Ecotech decided to send me a new vectra despite it being a half a year after the warranty expired; very happy for that... glad they are standing behind their products.

2) Two of my fish jumped out of the tank this past month... very upsetting. first it was the ornate leopard wrasse, then a week later, it was my female clown fish meano... meano and her partern nemo where the first saltwater fish i purchased, so her loss hit us pretty hard. Alas, as much i love the open top look, i am looking into getting a screen... if you have one for the reefer 250, please let me know your thoughts on buying vs. building one.

3) even more upsetting, my lovely mystery tort start receding at the base on the shaded side... i kept an eye on it for a couple of weeks... and was ready to chop off the colony in case it was STN... i also did a daily 15L water changes for a week and a half in case there was something in the water.... The base recession seems to have stabilized now... but i am watching carefully

4) my ice fire echinata frag RTN'ed... i heard they are pretty finicky, but still disappointing.

5) on more positive news... i got some kick *** lights for underwater videos; going scuba in mexcio and the redsea this summer, and i am looking forward to bring back some of my adventures! If there is interest, i can do a view reviews of my underwater video kit

Here are a few videos from last month... Also, a small request, if you can please subscribe to my youtube channel, that would be SUPER... youtube changed some of the rules, which really cranks down on small channels with less than 1000 subscribers... so if you like my reef build and content, please subscribe... i've been going around and subscribing to all small reefing channels as well to support the little guys! We are the 99%

Thanks!!!

https://youtu.be/2gdM8V8xiDU
https://youtu.be/BBxe9bJf5EY
https://youtu.be/Vu-dN8NKiOU

Unread 02/28/2018, 08:30 AM   #343
matty21
Registered Member

Awesome tank!

matty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 03:17 PM   #344
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hi guys
Here’s is the 21 month update:
Overall, things are good.
-ve : over past month + I lost a total of 3 fish - all jumpers. Clown \ ornate leopard wrasse and my lovely canary wrasse. I’ve ordered a custom acrylic screen top that is pending delivery. In the mean time, I made a top out of egg crate; ugly but gets the job done.

+ve : I got new fish to replace the jumpers. A clown, a yellow tamarin wrasse, and a rarely collected Moyer’s leopard wrasse.

Sps went through a growth spike, see lots of new growth. Colors looking good.

Added chaeto to aid in keeping nutrients stable
At around 5 ppm nitrates and 0.15 ppm phosphates... worming so far. I don’t know what it is but I am finally able to grow chaeto... I haven’t about 4 oz per week.

[MEDIA=youtube]ajiOKZtNzNY[/MEDIA]

Unread 03/23/2018, 06:00 PM   #345
Sam2832
Registered Member

Thanks for your setup explanations, will look into your youtube channel.
So far are you still happy with the radion diffuser? Maybe i missed it, but have you crank up the % to compensate the loss of par?
About your last acro pictures, first pink cadillac? fourth orange passion? I just got myself a pink frag and i wonder how long it took yours to color up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:41 PM   #346
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2832 View Post
Thanks for your setup explanations, will look into your youtube channel.
So far are you still happy with the radion diffuser? Maybe i missed it, but have you crank up the % to compensate the loss of par?
About your last acro pictures, first pink cadillac? fourth orange passion? I just got myself a pink frag and i wonder how long it took yours to color up.

Thanks! Check out the two videos on my YouTube channel re. Diffuser. I was running the 120 deg wide angle lenses before, I had to LOWER the intensity when I switched to the 80 deg lens plus diffuser. Running the lights at 62% max intensity now.
https://youtu.be/oRqzWpJlqA4
https://youtu.be/G9Tn2n7zzlA

Also have a look here for how fast my frags have been growing and coloring up
https://youtu.be/uHozVXa_TlM

Unread 03/25/2018, 06:24 AM   #347
Sam2832
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, i really like yours acro growing shots.
Continue the good work!

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 06:40 AM   #348
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2832 View Post
Thanks for the reply, i really like yours acro growing shots.
Continue the good work!

Thanks Sam

Unread 03/30/2018, 12:36 AM   #349
Tastee
Registered Member

I also have a Reefer 250 installed Sep 17 and have found this thread very interesting and helpful. My tank is nowhere near the quality of yours however as I am a new reefer on a learning curve.

We are doing some of the same things however - I also have invested in the Apex, and a custom acrylic screen (on order at the moment), possibly from the same supplier as yours (Artfully Acrylic).

Thanks for all the effort you have put into documenting your setup.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 05:31 AM   #350
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
I also have a Reefer 250 installed Sep 17 and have found this thread very interesting and helpful. My tank is nowhere near the quality of yours however as I am a new reefer on a learning curve.

We are doing some of the same things however - I also have invested in the Apex, and a custom acrylic screen (on order at the moment), possibly from the same supplier as yours (Artfully Acrylic).

Thanks for all the effort you have put into documenting your setup.

Thanks! Do you have a build thread - always fun to see what others do with the same tank. I am sure you’ll tank will look much better in a year or two - it’s part of the process, watching your reef grow!

I am getting my lid from a local acrylic guy, not artfully acrylic (although perhaps I should have gone with them).