Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2017, 07:05 PM   #26
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I rigged up some wire to hang a couple lights the other day. Ill probably end up using chain so I can adjust the lights easier. Ordering another 3-4 leds (mars hydro) sometime soon.

[IMG]20171125_194335 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171123_163755 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got some felt at Jo-Ann fabrics(72"x36") for $3.50 and sewed up some filter socks. I've got about 10 so far and can probably make another 15-20.

[IMG]20171125_192959 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Reefer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 07:18 PM   #27
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I went ahead and added a GFI outlet next to the tank with its own 20 amp circuit.

[IMG]20171125_201254 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 11/26/2017, 09:14 AM   #28
fishybudguy
Registered Member

I didn’t mean to cause you to freak out. Just a concern and that’s the reason that I haven’t gotten mine yet. I’m just trying to do alll my research before I finally get my dream tank.

Current Tank Info: 110 reef
fishybudguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybudguy View Post
I didn’t mean to cause you to freak out. Just a concern and that’s the reason that I haven’t gotten mine yet. I’m just trying to do alll my research before I finally get my dream tank.
I hear ya man. I've definitely been paranoid about it but almost all of the 5 tanks I've used in the past had some sort of bubbles in the silicone and they all held up so I'm going to try and forget about it and enjoy the tank. But yea you'd hope to get a tank with good silicone for the price. I say go for it if you truly want one. It seems like a solid tank and I hope it lasts. You'd be looking at 2-3 times the price for a custom tank the same size.
Good luck with whatever you go with.

Liam

Unread 11/26/2017, 02:36 PM   #30
fishybudguy
Registered Member

Thanks buddy, I know this is the one I want!!! Keep up the good work and I look forward to all your updates. Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Unread 12/04/2017, 01:17 PM   #31
jmccown
Registered Member

Is that metal clamps you have on your return pump? I can't really tell it's hard to see. If so, I'd suggest swapping those out with plastic. Sharp tank!

Former member of the "Huge tank club"

Current Tank Info: 300 Deep Dimension FOWLR
jmccown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:51 PM   #32
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
Is that metal clamps you have on your return pump? I can't really tell it's hard to see. If so, I'd suggest swapping those out with plastic. Sharp tank!
Haha yes! It rusted the second day it was in there so now i'm using zip ties for the time being. Good eye

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:13 PM   #33
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Yesterday I ended up moving the fish that were previously in the 90g over to the 300. They've been in a 40g qt for 2 months(they were healthy but im not risking getting anything into the display.) as a precaution.

They handled the transfer well and seem to be loving the new tank. I've got a few easier corals in also but I'm gonna give the tank a little more time before I start going crazy with Acros. The rock was cycled in a brute container for 3 months but I want everything to settle.

[IMG]20171204_125854 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20171204_125536 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

I received some tangs today and they're all eating like pigs and look great. I got them all at once to hopefully avoid aggression. I might have to use an egg crate to separate them in the meantime if they start getting sassy. They're in a cramped 40g qt after all so I'm expecting some aggression but hopefully nothing too bad.

Powder Blue
[IMG]IMG_6109 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

2" Orange Shoulder Tang
[IMG]IMG_6163 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yellow Tang
[IMG]IMG_6147 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kole Tang
IMG_6156 by ldubz123, on Flickr

Regal Tang
[IMG]IMG_6153 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm giving them a few days to settle in and fatten up then i'll move on to the cupramine and make these guys parasite/disease free

Unread 12/06/2017, 04:52 AM   #34
jstephens24
Registered Member

looking great so far

Unread 01/01/2018, 12:09 PM   #35
fishybudguy
Registered Member

Looking great!!!!keep up the good work

Unread 01/01/2018, 12:51 PM   #36
Joe0813
Registered Member

looks good... do you plan on adding a little more rock?

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 12:49 PM   #37
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
looking great so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybudguy View Post
Looking great!!!!keep up the good work
Thank you guys always a good thing to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
looks good... do you plan on adding a little more rock?
I actually ended up adding some more rock a few weeks ago. Ill post a picture below.

Sorry I've been slacking on the updates. Life got busy and the build hasn't been going as quick as id like.

I got to building a canopy last week and I think it looks a lot better. I just need to drill some holes in the side and add some fans. The evaporation on the back wall is insane.

[IMG]IMG_6181 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_6180 by ldubz123, on Flickr

I ended up buying 2 ATI coral plus t5's to supplement my leds. Originally I was going to go all leds but decided to go with a led t5 hybrid. The combo looks great!

[IMG]IMG_6182 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6190 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6214 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_6213 by ldubz123, on Flickr

This Monti has grown a good 3/4" all the way around and its only been in the tank for a month. It colored up real nice the second I got it out of the tiny quarantine tank and under some decent lighting and flow. All the other monti frags kept encrusting onto rocks so i put them onto an egg crate till I can find someone to buy them.

IMG_6193 by ldubz123, on Flickr

[IMG]IMG_6208 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Already have some coralline algae popping up on the rocks.

[IMG]IMG_6204 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was planning on getting some corals this week and then posting an update..... but I was waiting for a check and the darn think won't clear with the bank. I called and they said hopefully it'll be in Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes.

[IMG]IMG_6206 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 01/07/2018, 12:51 PM   #38
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Top can is Rodi and bottom is salt. The right bulkhead is to drain water into my ato reservoir and the other is to drain rodi into the mixing can.

[IMG]IMG_6223 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

The pvc running horizontally through the wall is to transfer water from the saltwater bin to the sump to make water changes easier. I keep a pump in the container and i just hook it up to the bulkhead.

[IMG]IMG_6217 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6218 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

As far as the tangs go, they've all been doing great with the cupramine and eating Nori in the morning and a mix of rods, mysis and some nls pellets throughout the day. Yesterday I noticed the hippo tang has a bunch of white hair-like things on his face and body so I ordered Clout to hopefully take care of what I think are parasitic pods of some sort. Kind of a shame because the fish were going to be ready for the main tank in a couple weeks but now I'll probably hold off a little longer. Don't want to jinx myself but as of right now all of the other tangs seem fine..... but this is why we quarantine.

[IMG]IMG_6221 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Screenshot_20180107-101903 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2018, 08:09 AM   #39
McPuff
Registered Member

Have you used prazipro on them yet? If not, I would do it. And feed food soaked in Kanaplex or metronidazole to eliminate other parasites. Quick and easy cures.

Might also try to give them nori multiple times per day. Basically as much as they'll eat. They will fatten up quickly and this will also boost their immune system.

What LEDs are you using? I've got the same tank and need to up the coverage a bit. I've got a pair of t5s just as you do but the LEDs are not big as the ones you've got.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 08:59 AM   #40
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Have you used prazipro on them yet? If not, I would do it. And feed food soaked in Kanaplex or metronidazole to eliminate other parasites. Quick and easy cures.

Might also try to give them nori multiple times per day. Basically as much as they'll eat. They will fatten up quickly and this will also boost their immune system.

What LEDs are you using? I've got the same tank and need to up the coverage a bit. I've got a pair of t5s just as you do but the LEDs are not big as the ones you've got.
When i first got them i let them settle for a few days then did 2 rounds of prazi and was feeding metro soaked food while doing this. Now they're on the 20th day of cupramine and im dealing with whatever this. I dosed another round of prazi last night as a last effort just so i can hopefully avoid using clout. I feed 3"x5" of nori every morning and its usually gone in 2 hours and i stuff them full with a bunch of other stuff the rest of the day haha.

The leds are cheap Mars Hydro 165w leds. Theyre only $100 and they grow coral great and i get good color out of them too. They don't look the best by themselves imo so you're definitely going to want the t5s still. They're very directional too. They pretty much only light up what is directly under the light. Anything 3 inches in any direction out from the light is not getting much light hence why i got the t5s. No regrets though, theyre a hell of a lot cheaper than other leds and look great with the t5s.

Unread 01/09/2018, 07:37 AM   #41
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer1991 View Post
When i first got them i let them settle for a few days then did 2 rounds of prazi and was feeding metro soaked food while doing this. Now they're on the 20th day of cupramine and im dealing with whatever this. I dosed another round of prazi last night as a last effort just so i can hopefully avoid using clout. I feed 3"x5" of nori every morning and its usually gone in 2 hours and i stuff them full with a bunch of other stuff the rest of the day haha.
Sounds like you're doing it right. Only thing I would add is TTM to ensure you don't have ich. It's easier on the fish than cupramine and I'm not sure if copper is 100% effective on eggs.

Thanks for the insight on the lights. Sounds like the marsaqua wouldn't be an upgrade for what I already have. I'll keep an eye out for another (maybe more industrial) solution. Have seen one option recently that has me curious (21ledusa).

Unread 01/09/2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like you're doing it right. Only thing I would add is TTM to ensure you don't have ich. It's easier on the fish than cupramine and I'm not sure if copper is 100% effective on eggs.

Thanks for the insight on the lights. Sounds like the marsaqua wouldn't be an upgrade for what I already have. I'll keep an eye out for another (maybe more industrial) solution. Have seen one option recently that has me curious (21ledusa).
Cupramines done good for me but thanks for the suggestion. I dont think Cupramine is effective on the eggs and i dont think any medication really is for that matter. You need to wait till the parasites come out of their cyst form and the copper nukes them. Im about to dose clout tmrw morning and hopefully that helps the hippo out with whatevers going on. Whatever it is, its not ich

The lights arent too bad but yea i doubt they would be much of an upgrade for you.

Unread 01/09/2018, 06:00 PM   #43
saf1
Registered Member

I believe you already answered this on page one but did you do a power failure test and see how much water returns back to the sump? I thought I ready you did plan to run it that high. I accidently had mine running hot, err, high and during my check ended up with water all over the place. Glad it was in the garage

Nice build so far - good luck with the 300DD. That was the tank I was more or less getting but ended up going smaller with a 240 but similar height and depth. So many options with aquascape. Thanks for sharing!

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 06:35 PM   #44
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
I believe you already answered this on page one but did you do a power failure test and see how much water returns back to the sump? I thought I ready you did plan to run it that high. I accidently had mine running hot, err, high and during my check ended up with water all over the place. Glad it was in the garage

Nice build so far - good luck with the 300DD. That was the tank I was more or less getting but ended up going smaller with a 240 but similar height and depth. So many options with aquascape. Thanks for sharing!
My return pump has actually come disconnected from the plumbing a few times because the ratchet clamp i use doesnt work very well. The sump easily held the water..... but the skimmer overflows once the water rises which is what got me a couple weeks back. Filled up my skimmate bucket and overflowed 5 gallons all over the place. Now i have the bucket sitting in a tupperware just in case it happens again.

Im loving the dimensions of the 300dd !

Unread 01/09/2018, 09:50 PM   #45
rfgonzo
Registered Member

What PH's are you using for flow? and what type of tank are you setting up for? SPS, LPS, mixed? Do you happen to know the Par under lights at the bottom of tank? Just curious cuz I'm in the middle of setting up a 210 gal now.

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 01:36 AM   #46
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
What PH's are you using for flow? and what type of tank are you setting up for? SPS, LPS, mixed? Do you happen to know the Par under lights at the bottom of tank? Just curious cuz I'm in the middle of setting up a 210 gal now.
I just have two koralia 1500s but im either getting 2 mp40s or rw15s soon. Its going to be mostly sps.
Sorry i have no idea what par the lights are puttting out.

Unread 01/10/2018, 07:42 AM   #47
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
I just have two koralia 1500s but im either getting 2 mp40s or rw15s soon. Its going to be mostly sps.
Sorry i have no idea what par the lights are puttting out.
If you go with jebao, then get the PP20. The 15s won't be strong enough. 2 MP40s also won't be strong enough. You'd need MP60s. On mine, I've got 2 of the PP20s and added two Tunze 6105s. The korallias are pretty worthless on larger tanks. I also know this from experience. :0)

For your skimmer, why not just remove the drain line and empty the container manually? This eliminates the potential for overflowing your collection bin. For me, it's not a big deal to do this manually (I actually plugged the drain on mine) and allows me to assess the performance of the skimmer on a daily basis. And you can tell more about the system itself based on the funk in the skimmate.

Unread 01/10/2018, 09:26 AM   #48
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
If you go with jebao, then get the PP20. The 15s won't be strong enough. 2 MP40s also won't be strong enough. You'd need MP60s. On mine, I've got 2 of the PP20s and added two Tunze 6105s. The korallias are pretty worthless on larger tanks. I also know this from experience. :0)

For your skimmer, why not just remove the drain line and empty the container manually? This eliminates the potential for overflowing your collection bin. For me, it's not a big deal to do this manually (I actually plugged the drain on mine) and allows me to assess the performance of the skimmer on a daily basis. And you can tell more about the system itself based on the funk in the skimmate.
I was looking around this morning and saw the pp20s and ordered 1 to test it out. I got a tunze ato too. Yea the koralias arent doing much so im looking forward to this new pump.

The skimmer came with a foot long tube with a plug at the end. I took the plug out and lost it haha. Ive been meaning to find something to plug it off with but been lazy. Any suggestions? Id like to plug the actual cup not the tube. I might just put a bunch of superglue in the hole

This morning I ordered a midas blenny and a trio of ochrestriped cardinalfish off divers den. Got a few acros and montis too. I had my eye on a pink plate coral but was waiting on that check that wouldnt clear. Cleared today and of course the plate just got sold. They still had it last night. It should all be here tomrw.

Unread 01/10/2018, 09:31 AM   #49
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Also, the pp20 claims to have a night mode where the pumps slow down. Can you disable that?

Unread 01/10/2018, 05:49 PM   #50
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
I was looking around this morning and saw the pp20s and ordered 1 to test it out. I got a tunze ato too. Yea the koralias arent doing much so im looking forward to this new pump.

The skimmer came with a foot long tube with a plug at the end. I took the plug out and lost it haha. Ive been meaning to find something to plug it off with but been lazy. Any suggestions? Id like to plug the actual cup not the tube. I might just put a bunch of superglue in the hole

This morning I ordered a midas blenny and a trio of ochrestriped cardinalfish off divers den. Got a few acros and montis too. I had my eye on a pink plate coral but was waiting on that check that wouldnt clear. Cleared today and of course the plate just got sold. They still had it last night. It should all be here tomrw.
Maybe try some reef safe epoxy?

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 dd, 300 gallon, marineland