Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2015, 06:49 AM   #226
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

Day 2 I thought it started to look a little better

Now today it looks like this

Im really considering increasing the dosage to 500mg since it looks like complete crap now. Any advice or insite would be appreciated

Jrsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2015, 09:28 AM   #227
OrionN
Moved on

I have no advice for you other than follow the treatment protocols and hope for the best

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2015, 09:33 AM   #228
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

Thanks Minh , tonight when I add my next dose I'm going to add 500mg and cross my fingers.

Unread 12/23/2015, 11:45 AM   #229
OrionN
Moved on

Now that he is almost off the rock I would get the rock out. Use inert cup or something for him to attach to. The objective here is minimized the amount of bacterial in the treatment tank. LR have a lot of bacterial. Invariably some will be resistant to the med. if you start out with no other bacterial other than the infection the chance of cure is better

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/23/2015, 01:09 PM   #230
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

Makes perfect sense, thank you I will give it a try!

Unread 01/14/2016, 04:17 PM   #231
Brando5185
Registered Member

New haddoni came in and he has 2 small tears around his mouth. His insides were bubbling out, he wont attach and his tentacles are not sticky. He is in a 10g treatment tank with cipro now. Should i be worried about the tears?

Brando5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 09:19 PM   #232
OrionN
Moved on

Just treat him. You can loose sleep over it but it does no good in getting him better

Unread 01/15/2016, 01:02 PM   #233
LisaE
Registered Member

Minh, what's the maximum dosage you would recommend of a combination of cipro and septra together in a 10 gallon tank for a gig?

LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 03:59 PM   #234
Brando5185
Registered Member

Pics of green haddoni right after acclimating to qt tank.

Nem before lights out day 1

Nem morning of day 2

Nem after i got home from work today

Going to do a 100% wc before lights out and redose. Foot is planted to glass now, tentacles are getting sticky, but mouth is still gaping and has 2 tears right by its mouth.

Brando5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 04:57 PM   #235
OrionN
Moved on

You need to have better egg crate. Cut it right to size and jammed it in there either by bend it a little or use tubing and jammed it in so it wont move.
Change water whenever the anemone discharge and clown up the water. and at the end of the day.

Unread 01/15/2016, 08:19 PM   #236
LisaE
Registered Member

Minh, what's the maximum dosage you would recommend of a combination of cipro and septra together in a 10 gallon tank for a gig?

Unread 01/15/2016, 08:31 PM   #237
OrionN
Moved on

I do not recommend use both antibiotic. I have never use them together

Unread 01/15/2016, 11:36 PM   #238
LisaE
Registered Member

I apologize if I'm not using the reference correctly. I'm asking about the dosage for using ciprofloxacin together with Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

This is from an old post of yours from 07/2014:

My last Blue Gigantea from DD, I treated with Trim/Sulfa. He relaped when I have to end treatment early. I put him back in TT and treat him with combination of Ciprofloxacin and Trim/sulfa. He is doing better despite a heat controller mal-function that got the tank temp up to 90 degree for a few hrs (in my QT reef system where I put this anemone in after treatment). Enough to crash the Xenia population I have there but I fixed that with 3 100% water change. The Gigantea seem to have a minor set back but doing well. I will update the thread later.

Using this combination is also mentioned at the beginning of the "protocol" sticky, with a max dosage of Cipro to 500mg/10gal and SMZ & TP to 800mg/160mg.

I was just wondering what dosage worked for you on the blue gig and what you recommend as the max dose.

Unread 01/15/2016, 11:52 PM   #239
OrionN
Moved on

That Gigantea did not make it. I did not remember treating him with both. If I wrote what you quote I must have but it though I change antibiotic because I knew later that Kevin at DD treated him with Cipro.
If I am treating an anemone right now and he does not response to one antibiotic I would change it to the other not both. If I know that he was treated before with one I would use the other antibiotic.

Unread 01/18/2016, 03:13 AM   #240
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
I have gone as high as 250 mg Cipro per 5 gallon with giganteas, twice the regular dose.
One made it and is doing fine now.
The other was still not well after the treatment so 2 weeks after the cipro treatment I did another round with Septra. I feel that one gave the anemone the rest.

I would say Cipro is the preferred antibiotic for giganteas. It also dissolves much better in saltwater than Septra.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 04:44 PM   #241
LisaE
Registered Member

I'm treating a blue gig. This isn't a new anemone, but one that had been in my tank for almost 3 years. I believe it caught an infection from another anemone in my main tank, even though they were in separate compartments.

I started treatment with a 250mg/10 gallons dose of Cipro. When that didn't seem to be working after a week (still deflating), added 400mg/80mg Septra along with the Cipro. It seemed to show improvement for three days (not enough to put it in my main tank, but better), but when I increased the Septra to 800mg/160mg for one dose, it reacted very badly. I thought it was a goner.

I changed back to Cipro only, but increased dose to 500mg/10 gallons, and it looked much better the next day. However, after almost three more days the mouth is still gaping, although it is not deflating any more. I would grade it a 4-5 on Amoo's System, as the mouth is still open and sometimes I can see the insides.

Just don't know where to go from here, if it's not improving at the max dose of Cipro. It didn't react well to the Cipro and Septra combination that's suggested by Amoo at the beginning of this thread (although I have used this successfully before), but what I'm doing doesn't seem to be kicking the infection. I'm considering switching to Septra only for a bit.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Unread 01/18/2016, 05:31 PM   #242
OrionN
Moved on

Can you post some picture?
Seem like it is doing OK with Cipro, I would continue with it. It seem to also doing Ok with 250 cipro plus 400/80 septra, you can use this dose and hope for the best.
There is really no base for my recommendation other than the fact that you said it is doing better

Unread 01/18/2016, 11:37 PM   #243
ReyR
Registered Member

How do you know if your avenge have a bacterial infection? I have a green bta and rainbow bta. I did I tank upgrade two months ago. Ever since they've not been happy. Rainbow had faded significantly. The green will get dark for a few days then regain is color, only to darken up again. This past week they were having a difficult time attaching to anything. I don't notice them oozing a significant amount of stuff, at least not more than normal. Ive been thinking of antibiotic treatment. Thoughts? Parameters are stable. Immediately following the upgraded, I did have a alk spike, some of the other coral were not happy, for a week. But they've all since recovered and are thriving.

ReyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 04:26 AM   #244
overklok
Registered Member

Just wanted to thank Minh for this thread!! The treatment protocol for dying anemones does work!! I have a H. Magnifica that was doing poorly after shipping. After 12 hours of treatment with Septra 800/160, it is looking Magnificent!!!

overklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 06:50 AM   #245
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyR View Post
How do you know if your avenge have a bacterial infection? I have a green bta and rainbow bta. I did I tank upgrade two months ago. Ever since they've not been happy. Rainbow had faded significantly. The green will get dark for a few days then regain is color, only to darken up again. This past week they were having a difficult time attaching to anything. I don't notice them oozing a significant amount of stuff, at least not more than normal. Ive been thinking of antibiotic treatment. Thoughts? Parameters are stable. Immediately following the upgraded, I did have a alk spike, some of the other coral were not happy, for a week. But they've all since recovered and are thriving.
If they are not doing well you can try treatment. What you are experience is not classic for infection

Unread 02/20/2016, 06:51 AM   #246
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
Just wanted to thank Minh for this thread!! The treatment protocol for dying anemones does work!! I have a H. Magnifica that was doing poorly after shipping. After 12 hours of treatment with Septra 800/160, it is looking Magnificent!!!
Thanks. He may be stressed from shipping and may be recovering from it

Unread 02/21/2016, 12:48 AM   #247
ReyR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If they are not doing well you can try treatment. What you are experience is not classic for infection
You are right. It most definitely not an infection. It was from an alk spike. It's now on the road to recovery.

ReyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 05:24 PM   #248
CFC_Surge
Registered Member

I have an exotic BTA that is not doing well right now, and I have started a treatment with Kenaplex. Has anyone used this before? I have consulted a couple of trusted industry people and was recommended this over other meds that I have. I'm already seeing an improvement on the nem in question within a few hours.
Cipro has been ordered, but it wont be here for a few days.

Video before treatment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_GYmxyrzw

CFC_Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2016, 08:30 PM   #249
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

So I am getting my first gig on tues. my HT is already setup and I have cipro on hand. Should I observe before treating, see if it deflates or just treat after acclimated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2016, 08:56 PM   #250
OrionN
Moved on

IMO, If you do not have a lot of experience on knowing when a Gigantea is sick it is better if you treat the Gig empirically on arrival.