Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2011, 09:28 AM   #26
LaOtIn
Registered Member

lol I rewrote this post 4 times and I will sum it all up:

My edited~dc still stands.......bring a snickers

Last edited by dc; 04/17/2011 at 11:04 AM.
LaOtIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 11:00 AM   #27
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Let's dispense with the tang police comments. All it does is cause fights here.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 11:52 AM   #28
LaOtIn
Registered Member

sorry

Unread 04/17/2011, 12:03 PM   #29
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW3571 View Post
Is there any problem keeping these two tangs together? The tank is a 90g with 30g sump
No but I think you can find a fish better suited for the long term then a blue. Look at a kole tang instead of the blue. They are incredible fish. They should be ok but one thing to consider is tangs are aggressive fish that will take territory. Any new fish that is added might end up in a fight so you want to make sure you add the tangs last and that they are as small as you can get them. You will need to feed them a considerable amount so make sure you have a good skimmer and keep up on water changes. They are large fish that poop a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreefer View Post
Guys, sailfins and nasos will not get that big if in a smaller system!!!!

If you feed it properly it will.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 04/17/2011 at 12:09 PM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 01:00 PM   #30
LaOtIn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
They are large fish that poop a lot.If you feed it properly it will.
LOL so true, my yellow likes to get up next to my rabbit and poop in his face hahaahhaha

Unread 04/17/2011, 04:31 PM   #31
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Putting a fish that reaches a foot long in a 6 foot long tank is rather short sighted.

Those of you who think animals only grow to the size of their cage - what do you think it is that causes stunted growth? Do you think the universe planned it this way to make caged animals and their owners happy? You think the fish "knows" he should secrete less GH because he's in a small tank? Studies on fish have shown that chronically stressed fish will release more norepinephrine and epinephrine which indeed suppresses release of growth hormone. So if you have a fish that's growth is stunted, even though he seems "fine" to you, he's NOT.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 06:42 PM   #32
sanchoy
Registered Member

Its possible. Look at all the LFS, they have the tangs in very small tanks. Now will your tang be happy, not sure.

Current Tank Info: 250 reef
sanchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 06:55 PM   #33
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoy View Post
Its possible. Look at all the LFS, they have the tangs in very small tanks. Now will your tang be happy, not sure.
I hope you know that the tangs in the LFS are ment to be sold and not housed their for long term which is why they can do it. same as when you QT your fish it isn't there for long term so you don't need a big tank for that purpose.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 08:27 PM   #34
rugby74
Registered Member

I have a hippo tang and a yellow tang in my 90 gallon right now and the hippo is nipping at the yellow tang. It's fin is a little torn up so I'm getting rid of the hippo. They'll get too big for a 90 gallon anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.

rugby74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 09:46 PM   #35
glenns
Registered Member

You may want to add the Yellow last. I've had good sized Yellows be real bullies to any new fish added to a tank.

I currently have a small Blue Hippo(aka Regal) and he has never bullied new fish. Just don't panic when they get ich. Mine gets a mild out break from time to time and usually kicks it in a few days.

Current Tank Info: 90G w/20L Sump/Refugium, 6 T5 lights @54W ea., Reef Octopus EXT-PS-120, DSB/LR ,SPS, Derasa, GBTA, Zoo's, Fish, Inverts.
glenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 09:49 PM   #36
Kyleben
Registered Member

has anyone else noticed if you say tang on this site that 10 people yell at you for having too small for a tank....got a hippo in my 56 :-P

Kyleben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 09:53 PM   #37
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleben View Post
has anyone else noticed if you say tang on this site that 10 people yell at you for having too small for a tank....got a hippo in my 56 :-P
I guess I will just have to repeat myself, since you don't seem to be able to understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
So, you think this post/attitude is a good idea? I will give you the answer, it isn't.

BTW -- links, even one's that have to be cut and pasted are not allowed as your "sig"
And it isn't wise to have a "hippo" in a 30" long tank.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 10:08 PM   #38
Kyleben
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I will just have to repeat myself, since you don't seem to be able to understand...

And it isn't wise to have a "hippo" in a 30" long tank.
hes small...im raising him until I get my 150 going. I wasn't being smart, nearly an observation.

Unread 04/26/2011, 10:16 PM   #39
justin serve
Registered Member

Plain and simple tangs get big I also have a 90 gallon reef and I have a blue hippo tang and I have had her for 3 to 4 years she has a scorpion fish,hog fish,two green chromes,a tomato clown (female) a yellow and a dwarf lion fish and I can still add some fish with no problem it matters how active your fish are how much waste they create and if your filter can keep up with them. I also have a 135 with a three foot coral banded bamboo shark with angles and tangs and they have been there for three years no problem I also have a 75 bow front with a full grown dog face puffer a full grown panther grouper three feet big and a three foot snow flake eel and they have been there for as years and I have a 35 gallon nano reef and every single one of my tanks has had no problems with fighting over space. So I would say go ahead and put them in there you would be fine just take good care of them and have a really good filter. And plenty of hiding spots and very good water flow

justin serve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 10:50 PM   #40
Kyleben
Registered Member

thats what im saying...like every situation is different...when someone says they have a hippo you have no idea if its 1" or 10" when mine had ich he lived in a 20g qt fine. my pops has a small yellow in a 20g....its shallow and has lots of room to swim.

Unread 04/26/2011, 10:58 PM   #41
Jim.mer
Registered Member

The rule of thumb is you can put two tangs in as long as their not the same shape or colour,

I said to my self, my self I said, Maybe i'll go LED
No my self said No, MH all the way

Current Tank Info: 12 jbj settin up soon, no fish, just inverts, hermits,softies,LPS
Jim.mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2011, 11:44 PM   #42
dzfish17
Registered Member

I cant believe what I just read. Maybe all those people who want to stop the SW aquarium hobby are right... to many irresponsible aquarists. This is where one of the guys who overstocks or stocks incorrectly will chime in and tell me that I'm crazy because they know their fish are happy being cramped in an inappropriate sized tank.

Unread 04/27/2011, 08:59 AM   #43
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin serve View Post
Plain and simple tangs get big I also have a 90 gallon reef and I have a blue hippo tang and I have had her for 3 to 4 years she has a scorpion fish,hog fish,two green chromes,a tomato clown (female) a yellow and a dwarf lion fish and I can still add some fish with no problem it matters how active your fish are how much waste they create and if your filter can keep up with them. I also have a 135 with a three foot coral banded bamboo shark with angles and tangs and they have been there for three years no problem I also have a 75 bow front with a full grown dog face puffer a full grown panther grouper three feet big and a three foot snow flake eel and they have been there for as years and I have a 35 gallon nano reef and every single one of my tanks has had no problems with fighting over space. So I would say go ahead and put them in there you would be fine just take good care of them and have a really good filter. And plenty of hiding spots and very good water flow
Not sure you know how to recognize a problem.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 09:04 AM   #44
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure you do. So there is a puffer that gets over a foot and a grouper that gets to be over a foot in a half all in a 75 bow? Don't want to waste any more of my time breaking down the rest of your list. But, glad that you think it is all "no problem"

Unread 04/27/2011, 10:20 AM   #45
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

No probelm keeping them together other than the blue WILL out grow the tank. In my 400 G I had 4 yellows, one blue, and two Naso's along with several other fish and they all got along fine. The Naso's were 12" + for the Male and 10" + for the female. My blue was about 9".

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 12:55 PM   #46
justin serve
Registered Member

Point being is every one has their deferent experiences and my 125 is very wide and long it's not so tall. And two my 90 gal reef is so not over stocked my blue hippo is 6 inches my yellow tang is about 6 and my scorpion fish is full grown my tomato clown is full grown I just got rid of my hog fish though and so far as my 75 they have not fought or got sick. My 125 is doing really good no problems. But hey I dot manage the 125 the tank I deal with is my 90 the other two is not my problem and I don't over stock the only reason why they put how many gallons the fish needs is for a guid line. Now I think with my blue hippo tang has a dissorter because she has stayed the same size for 2 years and not budge a inch and I do not under feed her to so I got lucky there that's why I say every one has their own experiances with their fish

justin serve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 12:58 PM   #47
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
...... Now I think with my blue hippo tang has a dissorter because she has stayed the same size for 2 years and not budge a inch and I do not under feed her to so I got lucky there that's why I say every one has their own experiances with their fish
So, you think it has a disorder, as opposed to it being stressed by being in too small of a tank, is that correct?

Unread 04/27/2011, 01:05 PM   #48
glenns
Registered Member

Quote:
So, you think it has a disorder, as opposed to it being stressed by being in too small of a tank, is that correct?
I read Bob Fenner's post, http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm , about the Regal Blue/ Hippo Tang, and he states they get to a foot in the wild and half that in captivity.

I would avoid overstocking a tank, especially ones with tangs, because they use a lot of O2. If you have a power failure and don't have a backup system, I don't know how long they will last. But my guess would be not as long as fish with lower O2 demand.

Current Tank Info: 90G w/20L Sump/Refugium, 6 T5 lights @54W ea., Reef Octopus EXT-PS-120, DSB/LR ,SPS, Derasa, GBTA, Zoo's, Fish, Inverts.
Unread 04/27/2011, 01:09 PM   #49
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

They get bigger then a 6 inches in captivity -- if given the correct environment.

Unread 04/27/2011, 01:48 PM   #50
glenns
Registered Member

Agreed.