Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 08:09 PM   #1
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Aiptasia wont die?

Over the past year I have been battling a small outbreak of Aiptasia. Only a few. My main display is only 50 gallons so fish that eat Aiptasia are probably out of the equation.

1st Attempt: I started treating the aiptasia by dosing AiptasiaX by RedSea. It took care of the problem for a while but eventually the Aiptasia came back just smaller.

2nd Attempt: I've heard people having good success with a Majano Wand so I bought one and tried it out. This made the problem worse. I now have 2-3x more aiptasia than I started with.

Has anyone had a similar problem/trouble getting rid of Aiptasia? Please let me know what you finally were able to do to eradicate the issue.

Thanks,

Jared

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:41 PM   #2
Fredfish
Registered Member

Unless you kill every single cell in an aptasia, it will come back.

A matted file fish will fit in a 50 gallon tank.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

I had a really big Aiptasia outbreak in my 55g tank a while ago. And I had the same issue with using Aiptasia-X, it simply would pop back up in a few weeks. I decided to get a peppermint shrimp to see if it would help. All the Aiptasia was gone overnight. A little bit later the shrimp died to do to unrelated matters, but I haven't had any Aiptasia since then. Its been about 10 months since the peppermint shrimp died too.

I heard that people have different levels of success with peppermint shrimp eating Aiptasia, but id give it a try. And if it doesn't work, at least you got a cool new invert for your system

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:06 AM   #4
RioReefr
Registered Member

The peppermint shrimp will work. You have to patient though.
The one I got didn't even touch the aipstasia then after about 3 weeks there was no signs of aipstasia and has never come back.
Sadly I got a hawkfish and he ate the pep, but I really liked that shrimp.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:19 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I second the peppermint shrimp...
Less "cons" with that vs a filefish from my experience..

A matted filefish certainly works too BUT you really need to return it when the problem is gone as it will either starve or find a new food source that likely ends up being your prized corals..

Unread 04/17/2018, 09:05 AM   #6
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Another for peppermint shrimp. Had some small spots pop up here and there about 6 months ago. Couple of peppermint shrimp and it was all gone in literally 48 hours.

Unread 04/17/2018, 11:45 AM   #7
soulpatch
Registered Member

the best but most expensive is berghia nudibranches. They ONLY eat Aiptasia and will reproduce in tank to match the aiptasia issue.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

A matted filefish certainly works too BUT you really need to return it when the problem is gone as it will either starve or find a new food source that likely ends up being your prized corals..

IME, and that of a number of other posters on this board, matted filefish eat almost anything fed to the tank and don't "starve" after finishing off the aiptasia. I also haven't had any issues with the filefish going after "prized corals." I currently have both LPS and SPS without issues.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Agree. My filefish ate all mine in the tank...I still have a ton in the overflow but none in the tank. He ate the pulsing Xenia too. Thank god.

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Scubajoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 11:22 PM   #10
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

If the aptisia is easy to get to, just squirt lime juice right in the center, it will dissolved it, cheapiest way, i killed probably a hundred in my tank. They havent came back over 2 yrs now.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 08:31 AM   #11
hbrochs
Registered Member

Matted file fish worked for me, and my tank is 60 gallons.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 11:38 AM   #12
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
If the aptisia is easy to get to, just squirt lime juice right in the center, it will dissolved it, cheapiest way, i killed probably a hundred in my tank. They havent came back over 2 yrs now.
I agree, but I use lemon juice instead of lime juice. Peppermint would be my
2 option, but be careful with them. IME, they started nipping/eating my corals once the aiptasia were gone.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 02:37 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

My matted File Fish cleaned up my Majano outbreak 4+ years ago and he is still alive and well.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 03:30 PM   #14
gatreef
Registered Member

I have had good luck with a Copper banded butterfly fish, but not everyone does.

gatreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 05:44 PM   #15
Jyetman
Registered Member

Sadly when I had a aptasia infestation I finally had to sell my hawk fish. What took years of hair pulling work with aptasia-x finally was taken care in less then 2 months with 4 pep shrimp. I loved my hawk he had such a personality. The only shrimp I was able to keep was a mean deranged coral bandit shrimp he never touched him.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 10:56 PM   #16
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I let Aiptasia get out of hand in a customer tank. I had to take sections of rock out, place them in a bucket of hot, fresh water, scrub with a stiff brush. Did a few rocks at a time.

When I was through I put a Copperband in and that kept them from coming back. CBBs were easy to keep at the time. I kept a CBB in each marine tank after that.

In FOWLER tanks a Mertons, Pearlscale, or other butterfly works well.

I also used peppermint shrimp, and they worked as well.

I had peppermints breed once in a 38 gallon quarantine tank with a pair of clowns. I was checking in tanks at night with a flashlight and saw dozens of little shrimp eyes staring back at me.

The next morning they were gone. I don't know if the clowns ate them or what.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Joe0813
Registered Member

Peppermint shrimp wiped all mine out. I had some huge ones and they still ate them

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 09:44 AM   #18
devimik
Registered Member

I had a major aiptasia problem that I let get out of hand in my 90g. I tried Aiptasia X, Majano wand, peppermint shrimp, expensive Berghia Nudibranchs - nothing worked. Well, Aiptsia X works, but not a great solution when you have hundreds of aiptasia.

What did finally work was the filefish. I never saw him eat an aiptasia, but within a few weeks they were all gone. He eats mysis shrimp, LRS reef frenzy, brine shrimp, bloodworms, live blackworms, and even nori. He won't eat flakes, but doesn't bother my soft corals and leathers.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote