Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2018, 07:14 AM   #1
britott
Registered Member

Hi ph need help

Good afternoon all,
Hope one of you lovely knowledgeable people can help me out with hi ph levels.

It has started going above 8.5 for the last couple of days which normally it has been hovering around 8.4, I have a bunch of soft corals which I am worried about as I am new to the coral hobby (always had fish only) the only thing I have done differently is for the last couple of weeks I have been using nopox to help with a little nitrate/phosphates. I used white vinegar gradually yesterday and managed to get it down too around 8.4, but now it's back up too 8.5. Anything I can do to get it more stable and safe for the fish/corals, I have added a large air pump, reduced heat from 26 too 25, skimmer is running and using gyre for circulation and surface movement.

Thanks all for any help you can give,

Chris Ott.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

britott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Navig8tr
Registered Member

What type of source water do you use? Tap/RODI? Have you tested the pH? What pH does your salt mix to? Do you dose kalkwasser?

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 01:43 AM   #3
britott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navig8tr View Post
What type of source water do you use? Tap/RODI? Have you tested the pH? What pH does your salt mix to? Do you dose kalkwasser?
Thanks for the reply Navig8tr,
I use RO water but have not tested the ph, not bad idea to try that, It's never been a problem before though the tank has been running for about 3yrs and changing carbon/resin etc when needed. Now with the tank it is a fairly new setup as I started a fresh around 7months ago, I use D&D h20cean pro formula for salt and the ph for the salt is between 8.2 too 8.4, when I have tested the water after water change it does did stay around the 8.4 Mark with salt mix. I don't do any type of dosing with kalk or anything else.

Thanks mate.

britott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Navig8tr
Registered Member

What method are you using to test? Is it produced by a manufacturer known for accuracy? If by probe, has the probe been calibrated? The addition of the large air pump can actually lead to an increase in pH as it drives CO2 out of the water. 8.2 to 8.4 is right in the range of NSW and 8.5 isn't dangerous. Stability within that range is the important thing. You don't mention your stocking level, but adding more livestock will lower your pH through their metabolic by-products. Most aquarists wish to have your problem.

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote