Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2016, 01:16 PM   #1
almees
Registered Member

Floating ATS Idea

I'm looking into designing a floating Algae Turf Scrubber.

I was wondering if the regular plastic screen is being used for the screen?

Does their need to be water movement or just the screen sitting right on top of the water?

Has anyone constructed these before I did not see any DIY on the floating type.

I am thinking of making PVC pipe to float the screen. Very cheap and easy to build.

almees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 01:31 PM   #2
A1t2o
Moved On

It takes rapid water movement and lots of air for an ATS. A floating one works if you are blasting a lot of water across it, like the overflow drain. An ATS is already cheap, its really only the lights and pump, so just do it right or go with something else like chaeto.

A1t2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 08:36 AM   #3
almees
Registered Member

The idea in progress

here is what I made last night. I had stuff laying around so cost me nothing.

Parts:
PVC 90 degree elbows and pipe ( I had to use 2 x 45 since I was short 1 90)
Screen
Zip-ties

The screen sits right on top of the water and I had an old Chinese LED laying around which grows algae like there is no tomorrow.

Unread 01/26/2016, 08:39 AM   #4
almees
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1t2o View Post
It takes rapid water movement and lots of air for an ATS. A floating one works if you are blasting a lot of water across it, like the overflow drain. An ATS is already cheap, its really only the lights and pump, so just do it right or go with something else like chaeto.
I have a Maxi jet I will add to it tonight to get some faster flow over the screen.

I have seen floating ATS for sale that use no water movement, but I don't know if it will matter, Tonight I'll stop at the store and pick up some more elbows and make another screen and have one with flow and one with out and see what happens.

Unread 01/26/2016, 01:20 PM   #5
almees
Registered Member

I was wrong the one that I saw does use an air stone to generate water movement.

Unread 01/26/2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Webmanny
Registered Member

I hate to say it because I like the idea of a floating ATS, but the moment anything starts to grow on the screen, it will block all the light to the side that is exposed to water and everything will die.

I may very well be wrong, but I think the light is not going to reach the wet side of the screen.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 08:07 AM   #7
almees
Registered Member

Trial 2

After the feed back I have made a few adjustments. I moved the floating screen to my old skimmer area(the water return area). The light and screen fit perfectly in this space. I added a maxijet and have it blow water/air up at the screen. I need to pick up 3 elbows and adjust the PVC frame to allow for my return pipes. The return pipes are causing one side of the screen to drop 4-5 inches below the water and I would like the screen submerged 1/4 inch which it will do if I don't have the return pipe getting in the way.

The skimmer was not function right, so I need get that working again and I can move it to the larger area.

Keep the feed back coming it's helping!!

Unread 01/27/2016, 08:09 AM   #8
almees
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmanny View Post
I hate to say it because I like the idea of a floating ATS, but the moment anything starts to grow on the screen, it will block all the light to the side that is exposed to water and everything will die.

I may very well be wrong, but I think the light is not going to reach the wet side of the screen.
I will find out, I hear from a few people in my area that use this method "to clean 1/2 the screen at a time". Maybe Ill clean strips so light penetrates.

Last edited by almees; 01/27/2016 at 08:46 AM.
Unread 01/27/2016, 01:02 PM   #9
MikeyAl
Registered Member

Make sure the screen is roughed up so the algae can grow. Also, considers king a waterfall type scrubber. Easy to make and works wonders.

MikeyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 10:24 AM   #10
almees
Registered Member

Here is what I am trying.

Im using the 120V chinese LED, the blue went out

and

Im using the 120V chinese LED

Unread 02/02/2016, 12:36 PM   #11
almees
Registered Member

Almost a week under the yellow chinese light.

This is the algae growing under the screen, it has grown a lot.

Unread 02/02/2016, 12:38 PM   #12
almees
Registered Member

This is the refugium side, under full spectrum chinese light. (blue and yellow on max)

Last edited by almees; 02/02/2016 at 12:43 PM.
Unread 02/02/2016, 12:40 PM   #13
almees
Registered Member

I wanted to update after a week with a floating style ATS. I switched from the maxijet pump to an air stone. The jet kept getting algae in it, so the air stone is no maintence. THe best part is I have not bought anything had all parts laying around and I am even seeing better growth from my micro algae which is below the full spectrum LED.

Unread 02/06/2019, 04:00 PM   #14
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by almees View Post
I wanted to update after a week with a floating style ATS. I switched from the maxijet pump to an air stone. The jet kept getting algae in it, so the air stone is no maintence. THe best part is I have not bought anything had all parts laying around and I am even seeing better growth from my micro algae which is below the full spectrum LED.
Are you still running the floating ATS? If so, how is it doing?

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 09:59 AM   #15
almees
Registered Member

I stopped running it and now have cheato back in that area, much easier and same results

Unread 03/15/2019, 05:12 AM   #16
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

I tried cheato in the center chamber of my 13.5G AIO and small pieces of cheato kept finding their way into the display. PITA to remove from rock crevices. Switched to a river type trough that was fed off the return and spanned the back wall. It was 12” long x 1 3/4” wide and 2” high with a twelve in length red bar light spanning the length. It was on a 15 degree tilt with the discharge end just at the top of the water level. It grew lush green hair algae that within a few months starved out all thr growing cheato. It worked on a total of 12w of power (pump and light) and drove NO3/PO4 numbers to undetectable levels. I have switched to an upflow ATS in the center chamber that is less intrusive into such a small tank. Good luck.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote