Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2019, 09:05 AM   #1
vette68
Registered Member

To filter sock or not

I am wondering what the consensus is on using filter socks. About 10 years ago, I tied a filter sock onto my return line that overflows into my sump. Well, 2 weeks later (I don’t remember the exact amount of time) the sock clogged and my tank overflowed because the water couldn’t overflow into my sump. So I abandoned that idea. But I’ve since seen designs with filter sock trays that allow water to overflow in the event that a sock gets clogged. Now, I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years and have never had one. But seeing these filter sock trays built into some of the newer commercial sump designs has me thinking about it again.

So what’s the consensus? Necessary or not? Thanks for the input.

vette68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 10:19 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Unless maintained every couple of days if that to remove/clean they arent beneficial..
Good to use one during maintenance and removed right after though when blowing out rock,etc.

Unread 11/24/2019, 12:51 PM   #3
five.five-six
Registered Member

With the amount of material is physically exported every time I change out my socks I just can’t imagine not running them

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2019, 03:38 PM   #4
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

as long as you're on top of maintenance of the filter socks, I feel they're extremely beneficial.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 06:44 PM   #5
Haunt
Registered Member

Other than running one for a few hours during a water change, I've never found the need to run one 24/7. Like mentioned above though as long as you clean them on a regular basis (maybe once a week, if not sooner) you shouldn't have any problems. GL.

Unread 11/27/2019, 02:03 AM   #6
sfdan
Registered Member

I've got sock holders in my sump and like having the option to run them if I'm going to be cleaning out the tank or taking photos and want the water crystal clear. I've got no shortage of nutrient export so for me they are just for polishing, not anything else, and are certainly not necessary. However the clarity of the water is certainly positive impacted when I'm running them.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

I have em, hate em, change em out every 2 days, I have 10 of them..rinse repeat, annoying, tank looks crystal clear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 03:05 PM   #8
bpd964
Premium Member

Same here. I've always used them.

Just have to keep up with the maintenance of changing them out.

bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 12:48 PM   #9
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
I have em, hate em, change em out every 2 days, I have 10 of them..rinse repeat, annoying, tank looks crystal clear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Same here.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Mache62
Registered Member

I have the same love/hate relationship with filter socks. Is there a better way? I was wondering what the effect would be if I used a pond basket filled with filter floss...would it be any better...easier to change out the top layer of floss?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2019, 09:30 AM   #11
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

I switched over to mesh socks from felt and went with a 100 micron vs 200 I was using with the felt. Still annoying but cleaning them takes less than a minute with running them under hot water and a few brush strokes.

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2019, 11:44 AM   #12
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I have 30 or so filter socks. When I go through them and have no more clean socks, I put them in my washer, pour a cup of bleach in, set it for "Permanent press" and wash them. Works well, and it's easy.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 09:52 AM   #13
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’d either recommend socks or upgrade to a auto filter roller. They have become popular and I am looking to upgrade at some point. The socks become a pain in time with washing ect. I’m lazy tho!

Unread 12/13/2019, 06:39 AM   #14
aaronpentz
Registered Member

I have the bubble magus auto filter roller. For me it's a no brainer. I love the way a tanks looks being filtered. But hate the maintenance of socks. I've used them all mesh felt and different micron ratings. Also 4 vs 7 in socks.

The filter roller is nearly perfect. I got it 3 months ago and am still on the original roll. I'm about to replace it but I done see a problem. Second to my apex for me it was easily the best purchase.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2019, 10:51 AM   #15
raylinds
Registered Member

I have filter cups in my sock holders filled with floss. I just replace the floss once a week or so.

raylinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2019, 11:05 AM   #16
teruaki
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post
I have the bubble magus auto filter roller. For me it's a no brainer. I love the way a tanks looks being filtered. But hate the maintenance of socks. I've used them all mesh felt and different micron ratings. Also 4 vs 7 in socks.

The filter roller is nearly perfect. I got it 3 months ago and am still on the original roll. I'm about to replace it but I done see a problem. Second to my apex for me it was easily the best purchase.

What's the size of the tank? If it's large, three months seems a really good deal.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

teruaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2019, 11:56 AM   #17
EmmaQ
Registered Member

I was also interested in this question. I thought whether it’s necessary to switch to this filtering system or not .. Therefore, thanks to everyone for the answers!

EmmaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2019, 06:28 PM   #18
huff747
Registered Member

I've been experimenting with the cups and floss as well. I like them but it takes a decent amount of floss so I'm not sure if I save $ over time or not. I do greatly dislike cleaning socks though.

huff747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2020, 11:15 PM   #19
Bear1210
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post

I've done a little looking around at this particular model and was hoping if you could clarify a few things for me. Can this be put under the drain from the tank where my socks are now or would this have to be run by a pump? Also I see an elbow on the side of the filter, is that where the water goes in? Thanks!

Bear1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2020, 07:41 AM   #20
jerseyboy
Registered Member

they dont last forever...lol
i change mine out weekly

jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2020, 08:16 PM   #21
Tek_Diver
Registered Member

As much of a pain in the @$$ they are....I use them. I have 30 of them that I rotate and wash every couple of weeks. Wash in the washing machine with Bleach and sit for a few weeks.

Tek_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2020, 02:11 AM   #22
H2oGarden
Registered Member

I am leaning towards roller on my build. how often are yall changing roller material and cost of it?

H2oGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2020, 08:00 AM   #23
Vrod2169
Registered Member

This will probably sound crazy but so far works for my 300 gallon. I use them and have like 5-6 that I switch out about once a week. Once a month I start my pressure cleaner and blast them clean. Not to close to destroy the mesh obviously. They dry out in the Florida sun within a day and then I'm good for another month and back to weekly rotation.

Vrod2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2020, 11:46 AM   #24
mansorinc
Registered Member

Definitely filter socks. I went without filter socks for a few months and my sump was full of debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mansorinc is offline   Reply With Quote