Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2008, 02:26 PM   #1
mpmitche
Registered Member

acan lord

Just got my first acan, it is an aussie lord frag. I have a few questions.

My tank is a 20 gal long with 1 65 watt 50/50 bulb, I hear they like low light (i.e. bottom of the tank) but should I put it high in the tank or low with my lighting.

What kind of flow should it see?

Will my brittle star be a problem, it is large and tries to eat my hermits, I am thinking about getting rid of it. any idea's here?

mpmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2008, 03:00 PM   #2
mpmitche
Registered Member

maybe if you stare at it long enough...

Unread 03/22/2008, 03:09 PM   #3
kellyjn
Registered Member

I'd put it med-high in your tank. Flow.....just don't put it right infront of a powerhead and it'll be fine (low-medium)

kellyjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Aqua-World PITT
Moved On

Like kellyjn said i would put it mid-high in your tank with the lighting you got. Also intermediate-low waterflow is fine. Just if you target feed it you might want to point the powerhead away. I have had to keep over 100 aussie acan colonies before. I kept them under VHOs and it was mind twisting to target feed every one.

Aqua-World PITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2008, 11:03 AM   #5
k.tran
Un-Registered Member

haha yeah i bet it was fun feeding, thats what i enjoy in my tank and mp get rid of the brittle!

Unread 03/25/2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Aqua-World PITT
Moved On

Ohh... Tell me about it, feeding was TOO fun! (was only enjoyable once you feed up to 50 colonies then you dread the rest, trust me i know ;-)) It took at least a good 2.5 hours to do a full feeding session. LOL

Unread 03/25/2008, 07:26 PM   #7
mpmitche
Registered Member

I have been feeding it brine shrimp, are these good for it? What is the best food for them? I have heard cyclopsese (spelling?)

Unread 03/25/2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Aqua-World PITT
Moved On

I feed mine a mixture. I use thawed mysis, thawed cyclops-eze, and Coral Frenzy. Then i use some dt's oyster eggs and some dt's plankton as the base Liquid. I let it all thaw out in a cup of my tank water and when it's room temp i use a turkey baster to feed. I use the Mysis for volume so it can grow, and cyclops-eze for color; as cyclops-eze is high in HUFA's. MAKE SURE YOUR MIXTURE HAS A GOOD BIT OF TANK WATER IN IT. AND LESS IS MORE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE RE-FREEZING IT.

Unread 03/31/2008, 04:12 PM   #9
mpmitche
Registered Member

How often should they be target fed? Is it normal for them to extend there polyps at night and keep them in during the day?

Unread 03/31/2008, 05:53 PM   #10
sahnee
Moved On

Feeding them is up to you. If you want growth, then everyday. I usually treat mine like suncorals. I squirt my turkey baster 2 times and wait for 15 mintues. I then directly feed each coral since their out trying to get what ever food is left in the flow.

sahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Aqua-World PITT
Moved On

You can feed whenever you want, but at least a good feeding once a week is good to keep them growing. If you want them to grow faster you would want to feed them more. Also yes feeder tentacles (Sp?) are regular at night. You can get them to open during the day by doing many different things and I'm sure there are a bunch of ways. I use a few methods (Not all at once) first i try dt's phyto. to get them out if that doesn't work i use a little Coral Frenzy food. After they show signs of opening let them open up for another 10 minutes then feed them.