Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:45 AM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Stupid mistake in TTM

Hello guys,

This morning while catching all fish from my DT to transfer to the HT and treat with cupramine for ich I made a stupid mistake and stock my hands into a TTM tank holding a Hi Fin and Orange Prawn Goby. They only needed one more transfer and I just basically set them back to square 1.

Given that I'll be starting cupramine today with all the other fish, should I just remove them from TTM and treat them with all the other fish?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 12:11 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

I assume your hands were wet from the DT?

What fish do you have that you will be treating with Cupramine? Angels and some otherrs are sensitive to copper and may not do well.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 12:15 PM   #3
scottwhitson
Registered Member

Why dont you just start over with TTM on all the fish. It sounds like you had ich in your display so it will have to go fallow around 75 days to insure ich is gone from it.

scottwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 04:59 PM   #4
allendehl
Registered Member

@hkgar I don't remember but I was actively catching fish from my DT and constantly drying my hands with a towel. No guarantee they were completely dry or that I still didn't have bad stuff on them.
This is what I have in QT now, after the 2 tangs left us:
2 Percola Clowns, 2 Chromis, 1 Cardinal, 1 Coral Beauty Angel (which I'll watch his eating habits closely)
@scottwhitson I have 7G buckets for TTM and these many fish will not do well on them, I assume.

I just started dosing the first 1/2ml today to the HT

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Go ahead with treatment. Follow directions exactly, too low won't work, too high is certain death. It's not hard just watch ammonia level, some water change every two ish days, keep them fed, vacuum up uneaten foods, light yes but not too strong, hiding places for comfort.
You should notice Ick diminishing in 4-7 days.

I have seen more fish die from transfer and HT tank stresses than properly administered Cupramine.

And it wasn't a stupid mistake I hope cause I've done that one before!

Good luck

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Rover88
Registered Member

My tang and LaMarck angel handled cupramine fairly well. The tang lost appetite, the LaMarck was a pig.

Only thing to mention is watch ammonia but do not dose prime. Water changes only. Prime will strip a binding agent from the cupramine and make it a far more lethal version of the copper.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote