Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2016, 09:58 PM   #2001
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 10:18 PM   #2002
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Lookdown update: Small one eats frozen and live food with gusto. Large one still won't eat frozen, but has eaten some live food.

Main pump is still off, for now. Once he gets strong, I'll turn it back on. He may be ready now. He plays in the current of the mangrove powerhead. Cool fish to watch.

The grammas are pretty much back to normal, with little fear of the new guys. They conduct their business right under their noses. Five out of six barnacle blennies are living in the barnacles! There's just one holdout, hanging out up on/in the caulerpa overhang. The lockdowns go after her sometimes, but she easily evades them. Toughest little fish!

Tank is pretty junglishious right now. The dragon's tongue frag disappeared. Hopefully it'll turn up. With all the extra feeding, I'm not dosing ammonia. I did dose some iron. Pretty much all macros are growing very well right now. I'm still waiting for another growth spurt from the manatee grass. The blue scroll algae looks like it's going to make it, but it's taking its time. Once it gets established, maybe it will pick up.

Big change to the community, with the new additions. Three levels of carnivores. S'frickin' awesome.

Unread 09/23/2016, 12:48 AM   #2003
cHRoNzZe 619
Registered Member

Awesome fish !!!! Have you try to feed them a mix of foods? To see if he likes something one food might have?

Side note... Let me know if your willing to part out with some of the nemastoma!

cHRoNzZe 619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 08:17 AM   #2004
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks cHRoNzZe 619! They are awesome. It's hard to focus on anything else in the tank.

I try feeding them my tank brew everyday, which has a variety of stuff in it. That's a good point though. There are other things I could add to it. I'll try that, thanks!

I should be able to part with some nemastoma. Maybe a trade for some string of pearls?

Unread 09/23/2016, 03:18 PM   #2005
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Very cool addition to the tank. Sorry about the loss of the one fish. I hope they don't take to eating blennies!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 01:04 PM   #2006
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Chasmodes! Losing one was a heartbreaker for sure.

They have shown some interest in the blennies, but they are (so far) no match for their abilities. I also think it has to do with the fact that they are from different environmental niches. The lookdowns are pelagic, being very good in open water. The blennies, being benthic, makes it easy for them to evade them. I think the lookdowns would have a field day with a school of silversides!

Unread 09/26/2016, 09:31 PM   #2007
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Over two weeks without any pruning! Hopefully tomorrow I can do some. Some caulerpa went sexual today. Clouded up the tank for a long while. I hope the sponges enjoyed it.

I may do an actual water change as well. That way, I can refill the QT with tank water and maybe move the big lookdown in. He needs to feed without competition.

I'm really getting tired of live feeders! Expensive, messy, stinky. I'm also growing tired of focusing entirely on keeping one fish alive. I've got so many other things to focus on!

Unread 09/27/2016, 06:12 AM   #2008
McPuff
Registered Member

Have to be careful with the caulerpa for this reason... it can wipe out your tank is the biomass is high enough.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2016, 06:39 AM   #2009
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Some caulerpa went sexual today. Clouded up the tank for a long while. I hope the sponges enjoyed it.
I was wondering about that too. I wonder if a bivalve like an oyster would survive if that happened a lot. It might be something to think about in my fuge or main tank even.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 09/27/2016, 07:36 AM   #2010
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That may be true in a reef tank, McPuff, but not in a heavily planted tank, chock full of Mother Nature. It's like extra deluxe plant food. I'm thinking the sponges and other filter feeders loved it too.

I know nothing about oysters' needs, Chasmodes, but I would not be surprised to find that they filter phytoplankton. If so, a sexual event like that could be a welcomed feast.

I would think these things happen in nature all the time, and when they do, someone's going to eat it. Plants, filter feeders, and zooplankton should all benefit.

Unread 09/27/2016, 07:52 PM   #2011
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 09/27/2016, 11:44 PM   #2012
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Full tank.

Five blennies. "Lookdowns shlookdowns, we're not going anywhere."

Colors.

G. hayi is getting big.

Seagrasses are good. Also note caulerpa removed from back wall.

I did a water change today, with a large caulerpa export. I dosed potassium nitrate and sodium silicate. The manatee grasses appear to be growing again.

I moved Norbert, the large lookdown, into quarantine. He's sharing it with three female silver mollies, and their babies. I've got to get him fattened up. Sheldon, the small lookdown, is doing very well, if a bit lonely now. These fish have a strong schooling instinct.

Unread 09/28/2016, 12:26 PM   #2013
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love the tank. Hopefully Norbert fattens up and returns home soon. The blenny pic is fantastic (but of course, I'm biased)

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/29/2016, 06:11 AM   #2014
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I love the tank. Hopefully Norbert fattens up and returns home soon. The blenny pic is fantastic (but of course, I'm biased)
I agree. That picture is great.

Unread 09/29/2016, 08:02 AM   #2015
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I agree. That picture is great.

It's my wallpaper at work

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/29/2016, 08:18 AM   #2016
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, thanks guys! You've given me new appreciation for them.

Norbert, the lookdown is doing well in QT. I got ten feeders in him last night. If I can get him back to full vigor, I think I'll have a better chance of getting him to go for frozen food.

He's sharing the tank with five silver mollies-four females and one male. They are producing babies, so he's got snacks if he wants them between feedings. Mollies are unbelievably easy to adapt to salt water. One hour acclimation and done!

I brought the main pump back online on the display. Sheldon, the smaller lookdown, is having no problem with the increased current. I think I will put it on a timer, so it goes off at night. Give everyone a rest.

Unread 09/29/2016, 10:20 AM   #2017
EdimarOliveira
Registered Member

Michael, you want to put Berghias or Shrimp Dancer for control of Aiptasia?

Beautiful view photo of red macroalgae growing!

Current Tank Info: Reef of 43 gallons
EdimarOliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 01:31 PM   #2018
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Edimar! I love the red macros.

I do have berghia nudibranchs in my tank, for aiptasia control. At least I hope I do! I added them months ago and progress is slow. They are small and they work at night, so I haven't actually seen them since I added them. I have noticed fewer aiptasias here and there, but, as you can see in the pics, they are nowhere near gone.

In hindsight, I may not have added enough. In order for them to really be effective, they need to reproduce. In a tank this big, it may take them a long time to find each other. I added them in pairs for this reason. So I wait. Hopefully, they will find each other and get busy!

Unread 09/29/2016, 08:43 PM   #2019
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sick day today. So I set up on the couch in front of the tank!

I got 15 small feeder fish in Norbert this morning and 20 more this evening. Plus, I saw him eat a mollie fry as well. So the mollie thing is working! Thanks, giant head!

I discussed the idea waaaaaaay back in this thread. It's funny to finally see it work. The original idea was to do it in the display, but this is good for a beat up fish.

He's still in rough shape. I'm so glad I got him into QT. I got really lucky catching him. He associated the net with food!

Unread 09/30/2016, 06:25 AM   #2020
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:

He's sharing the tank with five silver mollies-four females and one male. They are producing babies, so he's got snacks if he wants them between feedings. Mollies are unbelievably easy to adapt to salt water. One hour acclimation and done!
I did try to acclimate black mollies one time... I gave them a couple hours but they did not make it. I'm not sure why but it's definitely something I want to try again. I figure the near-constant source of fry will be nice extra food for the fish in the tank. And they are super effective algae eaters!

Unread 09/30/2016, 11:29 AM   #2021
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'd definitely try it again. I got mine on sale at petsmart for a buck each. They did fine with my usual, one hour acclimation. I do run my salinity on the low side, but that shouldn't make much difference.

Unread 09/30/2016, 12:43 PM   #2022
mountainraised
Registered Member

I love your red macro-algae!

mountainraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 12:55 PM   #2023
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thank you mountainraised, and welcome!

Unread 09/30/2016, 11:29 PM   #2024
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Norbert is improving, eating more aggressively than before. Having the mollie fry to add to the feedings is great! It keeps him hunting all day, sharpening his skills. It's bizarre watching his belly fill, being such a thin fish.

Sheldon is geting picky at times, spitting out mysis. No more feeders for him. The blennies and the grammas are loving the extra food. The blennies will take ridiculously large bits, in their ridiculously large mouths.

I added some mussel to the food brew, and gave a big chunk to the anemone. I grated it too small to interest Sheldon, but everyone else liked it.

This whole lookdown ordeal has turned out to be much more of hassle than I anticipated. It's taking my attention away from everything else. Not good. But I bought them and they are in my care. So I'm doing everything I can think of to keep them alive. I just have to refocus on the rest of the tank as well. I'm pretty sure Sheldon is all good, and it's a joy to watch him, surfing the currents and stuff. He's not much bigger than Zippy, the atlantic blue tang. Kind of reminds me of him, or a chromed version of him. Hopefully, I'll have Norbert up to speed soon. Getting him in quarantine was the right call. I guess I could move the mollies up to the display with him-we'll see.

Having in-tank carnivore food generation is pretty handy. And this gets back to the self-sustaining aquarium ideal. I supply light and current, Mother Nature makes the algae, the mollies eat the algae and make babies, and the carnivores eat the babies. Circle of life. Of course it's not that simple, but an ideal to reach towards, that I find fascinating.

Unread 10/01/2016, 07:10 PM   #2025
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Having in-tank carnivore food generation is pretty handy. And this gets back to the self-sustaining aquarium ideal. I supply light and current, Mother Nature makes the algae, the mollies eat the algae and make babies, and the carnivores eat the babies. Circle of life. Of course it's not that simple, but an ideal to reach towards, that I find fascinating.
Very cool!

Sounds like Norbert will be ready for home pretty soon.

--Kevin Wilson

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass