Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Reverse durso making sump noise/bubbles worse!

Looking for some help. I followed some advice/guide to make a reverse durso for my overflow pipe in the sump as it was creating tons of bubbles where the water entered the sump.

The problem is the reverse durso is even worse!

I've tried extending the pipe that enters the sump, extending the air pipe section, air hose v no air hose, lowering the speed of my return pump... everything.

What am I doing wrong? I just want an overflow that doesn't create a ton of bubbles/noise in the sump.

Here is a brief video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaZ0aPlQRE (p.s. the pipe can be made straight, i just moved it while messing about)

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 09:29 AM   #2
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

I need to quiet my sump down as well! I was thinking of doing this same thing but maybe not now. Where did you find blue pvc by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_mcfish View Post
I need to quiet my sump down as well! I was thinking of doing this same thing but maybe not now. Where did you find blue pvc by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The blue pvc-u came with the tank from new (though I bought this tank 2nd hand) so not sure where you'd buy it. Plus this is in the UK.

Any ideas anyone? This bubbling noise / salt spray from it is doing my head in!!

Unread 11/14/2017, 09:49 AM   #4
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

The section that goes down from the T, you need to use a larger diameter pipe, like 3" and should extend down below the water level. It will muffle the sound a bit more, but you will never get perfect silence. You also need to position the T a little bit higher, maybe cut the pipe below the union halfway.

The idea is you want all air to escape through the pipe above the T. If there is not enough space to hold the air, it will still come out the bottom pipe.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Yeah maybe I should have used larger pipework and a bit to make my 40mm overflow pipe fit it? I've removed it, this was a disaster.

I have 2 options I am thinking of now:

1) Get some 40mm corrugated tubing and connect that to the overflow pipe, run it in a loop to the floor and then into the sump, can drill an air hole in it just before it enters the water

or

2) Since my overflow box only has one drain and 1 return hole, I could remove the return and have that as a straight pipe to the top of the overflow and the main 40mm drain, remove the durso and have it as a flat piece on the bottom of the overflow box and fit a ball valve on the pipe entering the sump so the water level is level with the 2nd pipe at the top of the weir (ie it acts as an emergency, no air is being sucked in and half the drop to the sump.

I could then make a return with flexi to hard pipe round the back of the tank.

Thoughts?