Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Corals Native to Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and West Atlantic

I considered the idea of a tank featuring creatures from this approximate area but while the area seems rich in macros and fish, I can't seem to find many corals native to this area. Among the few I have found are ricordeas. There seem to be a few gorgonians as well.

What are some other aquarium suitable species native to this area? In addition to considering a biotope tank, I am genuinely curious.

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 11:11 AM   #2
evannave
Registered Member

that is it because hard coral from there are illegal to own or collect. you can still have a great tank with what you can get like mushrooms and gorgonians.

evannave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 11:17 AM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Zoas are also native to the caribbean. You'll find LPS out there as well. Brain-type corals are common.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 12:31 PM   #4
ravenmore
Registered Member

I saw a bunch of great stuff in the Keys. Made me want to move to Florida.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef tank in progress
ravenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Zoas are also native to the caribbean. You'll find LPS out there as well. Brain-type corals are common.
Any particular kinds of zoas or LPS? I have seen some brain corals in photos. Sadly, I have never seen the reefs for myself.

Unread 08/18/2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannave View Post
that is it because hard coral from there are illegal to own or collect. you can still have a great tank with what you can get like mushrooms and gorgonians.
I have read this but I am sure there are other things like you have mentioned. Ricordeas are beautiful and diverse enough to fill a tank themselves. What other mushrooms are native to this area besides ricordeas (and yumas?)? The gorgonians seem sort of higher maintenance but it would be worth it I believe, plenty of them, even the photosynthetic species, are attractive.

Unread 08/18/2011, 02:43 PM   #7
my40breeder
Moved On

lots of zoas are native or grow in FL...bloodshots, PPE, GPE, miami vice, blue kiss, cosmic queen, frostbites, etc. are all local to south FL.

my40breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my40breeder View Post
lots of zoas are native or grow in FL...bloodshots, PPE, GPE, miami vice, blue kiss, cosmic queen, frostbites, etc. are all local to south FL.
Thank you very much for the zoa names; now I have a starting place. There is quite a selection of Caribbean zoas apparently.

Unread 08/18/2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Curious George
Registered Member

Don't forget the big colorful sponges- i always see lots of them when snorkeling. Reds, yellows, green and white. Gorgonians too.

Curious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 05:43 PM   #10
KSzegi
Registered Member

Here are a couple that I got from TBS ....

KSzegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 05:45 PM   #11
BrassMonkey
Registered Member

your not missing out on anything, the hard corals all brown and ugly.

BrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSzegi View Post
Here are a couple that I got from TBS ....
Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful polyps on these corals. Does "TBS" stand for Tampa Bay Saltwater? Their site only has rock on it as far as I know.

Unread 08/18/2011, 05:57 PM   #13
heckfire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
your not missing out on anything, the hard corals all brown and ugly.
hah +1 even in the keys its the same

heckfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 06:04 PM   #14
KSzegi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful polyps on these corals. Does "TBS" stand for Tampa Bay Saltwater? Their site only has rock on it as far as I know.
Yea, Tampa Bay Saltwater. I know he sells sponges, gorgonians, and some livestock individually from the rock and sand but I'm not sure about the corals ..... I did get them as part of a package of rock I ordered from him a couple years ago. He throws in an awful lot of extras - besides the hitchhikers

I know they're just plain brown corals but I have always liked the big one (sorry don't know its name), great shape and polyps, i think it has character! And the other small one is pretty plain but great to fill in a little shady spot!

KSzegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 06:23 PM   #15
shrimphead
Registered Member

st thomas mushrooms

shrimphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 09:32 PM   #16
SpencerG
Registered Member

TBS is probably it for trying to get a hitchhiker stony native to this part of the ocean. They aren't very colorful, certainly by Pacific standards, but would be a nice addition to the zoas, ricordea, sponges and gorgonia. Also, maybe some of the anemones.

Definitely check out some photos of Caribbean reefs to get some inspiration. Good luck with your project and please post some photos!

SpencerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerG View Post
TBS is probably it for trying to get a hitchhiker stony native to this part of the ocean. They aren't very colorful, certainly by Pacific standards, but would be a nice addition to the zoas, ricordea, sponges and gorgonia. Also, maybe some of the anemones.

Definitely check out some photos of Caribbean reefs to get some inspiration. Good luck with your project and please post some photos!
Thanks, I have been looking at some pictures for inspiration. It might not end up being "pure" but I am sure I will have fun with it, and there will be plenty of pictures. My tank is young and my experience limited, so not having many stony coral choices isn't such a bad thing. Like already mentioned in this thread, there is a plethora of attractive species to choose from.

Tags
biotope, caribbean, coral, native