Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2015, 09:59 AM   #626
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce7586 View Post
ya i think removing the sand bed has a big impact on them. Last time I had dinos that's what fixed mine.

The 55w uv seems to be pretty effective but what else are we killing along with the uv? Does it kill off pods as well?
To be honest, I haven't noticed. I have a lot of amphipods in my rock, but I have not paid any attention looking for copepods, as I usually would find them on the glass at night. I'll look again tonight if I'm still up after the lights have been off for a while.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 10:37 AM   #627
bertoni
RC Mod

Animals like copepods are too big to be affected by UV. Gametes might be a different matter, but I am not sure whether that might be an issue.

Unread 01/12/2015, 10:51 AM   #628
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Put two different rock scrapings under the microscope last night. No dinos, live or dead. Every previous sample has had 10-20 of each.
that's awesome! do you plan on keeping the UV online or taking it off (if you haven't already done so) now that you've fixed your dino problem?

and i agree, i had to remove much of my sand as well but i did not remove all of it...i have wrasse that burrow and my rock work would not hold up if i did so i left about an inch and a half...still i do not see any dinos after installing the UV

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 10:55 AM   #629
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
that's awesome! do you plan on keeping the UV online or taking it off (if you haven't already done so) now that you've fixed your dino problem?

and i agree, i had to remove much of my sand as well but i did not remove all of it...i have wrasse that burrow and my rock work would not hold up if i did so i left about an inch and a half...still i do not see any dinos after installing the UV
I'm not changing anything lol.

Also, if your rockwork relies on your sandbed to be held up, that's asking for trouble

You can actually get rock-like bowls to put sand in that the wrasse will use.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
Unread 01/12/2015, 03:42 PM   #630
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yes. We are killing all plankton but that's ok.
Taking antibiotics kills good and bad bacteria. After the bad guys die, you can replant with just good guys.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2015, 04:03 PM   #631
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

I just read this article and if it's true then we could be killing the bacteria that help aid corals in growth and healing ability as well as color:

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2015/01/13...on/#more-57945

I may just turn my UV offline for a bit to see if the dinos come back or if I am indeed dino free. I might as well, I can always turn it back on later because I know for sure it works. We simply don't have all the information of what we could be killing right now that could be beneficial to the corals we house.

Unread 01/13/2015, 09:37 PM   #632
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think that's great research but it doesn't say much about practical use. The microbes are within the coral, like zooxanthellae (that are good dinoflagellates). The UV only catches the free floating organisms that are mobile in the dark.

This is why they kill harmful dinos while leaving the zooxanthellae inside coral tissue unharmed. The same goes for free floating microbes vs. those harbored in coral tissue.

Unread 01/13/2015, 10:51 PM   #633
bertoni
RC Mod

We don't know what UV might be killing in any great detail, but it won't hurt zooxanthellae embedded in corals.

Unread 01/14/2015, 09:01 AM   #634
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Yes I understand that it won't hurt bacteria present on or in the coral but what if you somehow manage to kill the useful bacteria present on the outside of the coral? Dosing peroxide can certainly do that and dipping as well. This makes it harder for new bacteria to attach and grow on the coral if they can no longer free float to the coral. It has to come from somewhere, i.e. the rocks and other corals closeby but it sure makes it harder.

If we are indeed dino free at this point, I'm not too sure what the benefits are of keeping my huge UV pond sterilizer online. A smaller one might be better just for something such as maintenance to keep algae in check and not something as big as what I have as mine might be doing more harm now than good with respect to the ecosystem. Just food for thought and a topic worth thinking about. I'm still reluctant to go offline as my reef is once again thriving right now and things look good. But then again, anything looks better than what my reef looked like covered in dinos... ;P

Unread 01/14/2015, 10:46 AM   #635
bertoni
RC Mod

I probably would turn off the UV, but I don't think it's likely to do much harm.

Unread 01/14/2015, 10:49 AM   #636
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Mine is staying on. If it kills bacteria, I couldn't care less, I've got plenty to spare and they reproduce quickly. Besides, the 'important' bacterial colonies live on the surfaces of the rock/tank/substrate/etc, the ones pushed out into the water column are skimmer food anyway.

Unread 01/15/2015, 09:08 AM   #637
Montireef
Registered Member

When you have dinoflagellates it is good to kill most of the bacterial population as dinos normally do symbiosis with bacteria to recycle some of the nutrients used. Killing bacteria will impact dino's growth negatively.

It's been almost three weeks with no trace of ostreopsis in my 600 gal system. Checking everyday on the microscope. Ostreopsis yielded thousands of copepods everywhere, so many that I could turn this tank into a synchiropus factory.

I gave some of my water to two fellows that also had ostreopsis and both got rid of it in 3-4 days; now they have copepods galore as well. One more buddy is coming home to get some water and try rid ostreopsis the same way. I wish I could send you some water from my tank...

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 10:09 AM   #638
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
I gave some of my water to two fellows that also had ostreopsis and both got rid of it in 3-4 days; now they have copepods galore as well. One more buddy is coming home to get some water and try rid ostreopsis the same way. I wish I could send you some water from my tank...
why don't you bottle up your water, slap a label on it, call it Ultra Algae DinoXal eXtreme or something fancy and sell it?

Unread 01/15/2015, 11:19 AM   #639
DNA
Registered Member

Wow Montireef, that looks really promissing.
Even a rinse and repeat in additional tanks.

Can you be a little more specific on the water donations like...
Amount of water into what size tanks.
Where did you take samples from your water.
etc

Do snap a photo of those pods for a possible id.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 02:03 PM   #640
Montireef
Registered Member

This is an ostreopsis cell in one of my tanks being attacked by these protists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKeEeFt_gBU

Unread 01/15/2015, 02:22 PM   #641
Montireef
Registered Member

I just bought 5 lbs of indonesian living rock and poured the old skimmate in the tank to nourish and inoculate the system with new life. Happily one week later I noticed that the snots where turning white and when looking on the microscope this is what I saw.

I checked it out day by day and 2/3 days later wasn't able to spot any moving ostreopsis cell. Now it is almost a month without these scoundrel critters.

I wish I could send you some water but I am not sure it will work with all kind of dinoflagellates (I presume that most of them)

Unread 01/15/2015, 05:24 PM   #642
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Will this microscope work?

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-D...sin=B000NOU54O

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 07:56 PM   #643
cal_stir
Registered Member

I have one similar to that and it works good.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 07:50 AM   #644
IUfan
Registered Member

Just a heads up, has anyone tried ZeoBak from Corralin Zucht?

I started dosing about a week ago, I feel like it's having an effect, I'm seeing less of the brown poop colored dinos in my sump, the skimmate is the same poop brown color as the dinos were and it smells awful.

Just throwing it out there, maybe someone else can try it and see if it works.

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 04:02 PM   #645
dinonightmare
Registered Member

battling dinos

Hello everyone,

I am also battling dinoflagellates. I've already made the decision to remove all my rock and sand and nuke it ( bleach and muriatic acid). Is there a way I can clean my snails, hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp and reuse them in my tank after everything is thoroughly cleaned and not chance dinos getting in the new tank?

I currently have a hospital tank that I cured ich on my 3 fish that I was thinking about putting my CUC and a couple corals in while I nuke the rock and clean the tank.

dinonightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 04:20 PM   #646
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonightmare View Post
Is there a way I can clean my snails, hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp and reuse them in my tank after everything is thoroughly cleaned and not chance dinos getting in the new tank?
No, even keeping fish is a little bit iffy, anything else is a strict nono.

Unread 01/17/2015, 04:55 PM   #647
Montireef
Registered Member

I nuked the tank and did a hard freshwater and H2O2 dip to my corals and rocks and ostreopsis came back one week later.

I suggest you buy a small tank to quarantine your snails and shrimps for a long time (won't need a light fixture, skimmer or filter, just a little bit of GAC and a small pump to circulate the water).

Good luck

Unread 01/17/2015, 07:34 PM   #648
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm convinced that the cure to dino infestation is algae. Allow algae to recover its place and then let crabs and snails get back to eating it.

Just keep the circulation high to avoid cyano, but let nutrients rise to cultivate a GHA fuzz.

Unread 01/17/2015, 07:44 PM   #649
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I'm convinced that the cure to dino infestation is algae. Allow algae to recover its place and then let crabs and snails get back to eating it.

Just keep the circulation high to avoid cyano, but let nutrients rise to cultivate a GHA fuzz.
I don't know if cure is the appropriate term, but I do think this is at least part of the answer in terms of keeping it controlled like it normally would be. Higher algal diversity, some slight level of nutrients and higher fauna diversity seem like the way to go for longer term control.

Interestingly enough, in the course of breaking my tank down, I set up a holding tank for about a month. This tank was mostly neglected, had about 2 small water changes and plenty of nutrients. All dino mats that were present before shriveled and disappeared within a week. I didn't take the chance of it being completely gone, so I tossed what I had left, but it was definitely an interesting observation.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 07:56 PM   #650
yeldarbj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post

Completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphiprion View Post
Interestingly enough, in the course of breaking my tank down, I set up a holding tank for about a month. This tank was mostly neglected, had about 2 small water changes and plenty of nutrients. All dino mats that were present before shriveled and disappeared within a week. I didn't take the chance of it being completely gone, so I tossed what I had left, but it was definitely an interesting observation.
I had similar results with a small holding tank as well. I would place dino infested rocks into the small tank and they could not take over. They would eventually disappear. This is what led me to try the same approach on my big tank. It worked and continues to work. It also turns out to be the simplest, cheapest, and easiest solution. I've spent hundreds of dollars on equipment and "potions" fighting them when the best solution was to do almost nothing.

yeldarbj is offline   Reply With Quote