Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > AMRC (Alamogordo Marine and Reef Club)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2012, 12:46 AM   #101
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Probably a fresh bite?? Maybe. I'd be eying the only other fish you have he may your nipper. Or it is possible you have some sort of unwanted hitchhiker in your live rock?? Some sort of crab maybe but I'd blame the fox face first.

mitchellmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2012, 11:25 AM   #102
Mstark11
Registered Member

I figured maybe he clipped it on the pump intake. I converted a maxi jet into one, so that w
Was my guess, but I'll keep an eye on my other guy, the CB still tries to pick on him occasionally

Mstark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2012, 12:27 PM   #103
Mstark11
Registered Member

Checking the CB this morning, I can see some dreaded white spots. I've been watching him all morning, to try and catch him scratching to confirm, but he has not yet.

So I guess It's time to go get a QT and dose with copper. Does raising the temp to 85F+ kill it in the DT?

Edit :

You know, scratch that. I'm not sure it's ich. He had 3~4 spots and now he only has one. I'll try to dose his food with garlic and get another shrimp.

Last edited by Mstark11; 09/15/2012 at 12:54 PM.
Unread 09/15/2012, 01:32 PM   #104
reefaluva
Registered Member

From what i understand shrimp and inverts cannot get ich. Thats fish only. 85 is too high imo highest I would go and not worry would be 82 ish. But never have went above that. Why would you want to raise temp? btw copper will kill all inverts.

reefaluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2012, 02:58 PM   #105
Mstark11
Registered Member

When you move everyone to a QT you raise DT to 85, or so I was reading. I guess at that temp ich cannot reproduce.

Unread 09/15/2012, 05:04 PM   #106
reefaluva
Registered Member

I think that will do nothing but possibly increase the metabolism of parasite and fish. That may be the cure some have seen. Also I was thinking you were raising temp for a everyday temp lol. Imo copper in the qt would be all you need.

Unread 09/15/2012, 05:08 PM   #107
reefaluva
Registered Member

haha just noticed cb (coral beauty) not cb(coral banded shrimp) lol thats why i said all that about inverts etc=)

Unread 09/15/2012, 09:01 PM   #108
Mstark11
Registered Member

oh (: Yea I don't have any inverts anymore. And I'm still not convinced it's ich. No itching, no appetite loss, just the 1 dot on the 1 fish.

Unread 09/16/2012, 08:38 AM   #109
reefaluva
Registered Member

Hope it's not ich. Just high quality food and some garlic. Fish should make recovery did u ever get some lights?

Unread 09/16/2012, 11:45 AM   #110
Mstark11
Registered Member

I haven't. I'm still banging my head on the wall with my grant money for college. Once that comes it, it will be lights, sump, ATO, skimmer and then RO/DI if I have leftover.

Unread 09/16/2012, 11:46 AM   #111
Mstark11
Registered Member

And I don't see white today. I guess it's not quite breakfast because they won't let me get a good look at them, but with the CB it should be super easy to see since he's such a dark fish.

Unread 09/16/2012, 04:14 PM   #112
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Wow lots going on. Don't rush the purchase take your time and make sure you get the best deal on the exact fixture you want. I would personally go with a good quality skimmer before the lights. ATO would be last on my list as it is a convenience not a necessity.

If it is ich, as long as the fish continues to eat usually they will pull thru but quarantining him would be the best. You will have to keep an eye out for ich on the other fish.

Unread 09/17/2012, 12:44 AM   #113
Mstark11
Registered Member

Yea everyone's eating just fine. The spot seems to be gone. I picked up some garlic earlier today and soaked some pellets and they ate those things right up, which is good because until then It was looking like I had just wasted 20$ on flakes and pellets.

And as for the new stuff, I haven't rushed anything. Still waiting on the school to sort out forms, so I'll be lucky to have the money end of the month. The only reason I have sort of prioritized the ATO was because earlier in the year I messed up my wrist pretty good and dealing with the water is really starting to flare things up. But I am looking at light>sump>skimmer>ATO>RO/DI. I should be able to squeeze that all in.

And enjoy your wedding! (:

Unread 09/23/2012, 08:12 PM   #114
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Im back in town now. How did your fish do? did everyone make it?

Unread 09/24/2012, 10:37 AM   #115
Mstark11
Registered Member

Yea everyone's alive. The Beauty's tail is almost all the way back, but it does look like the foxface is picking on him, a few of his scales seems gone up by his back.

Unread 09/28/2012, 11:09 PM   #116
Mstark11
Registered Member

Pods! (: I have pods. How did I get them? Did they come in on the rock? How did they survive the cycle?

Unread 09/29/2012, 11:05 PM   #117
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

They are very resilient.

Unread 10/06/2012, 11:33 PM   #118
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

So any updates? Fish still hanging in there?

Unread 10/07/2012, 10:36 AM   #119
Mstark11
Registered Member

Yea. I'm debating with my roommate over a pistol/goby combo or a Lawnmower blenny. He wants the pistol/goby and I want the Blenny. We had agreed on the goby pair initially and he really had his heart set on it, but I was afraid the angelfish would eat the shrimp. Only to my surprise I had seen posts from people complaining the pistol shrimp killed their angel.

So now I'm leaning towards a blenny, and he won't budge.

Unread 10/07/2012, 11:51 PM   #120
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

I love blennies though I'm not as keen on the lawnmower. I love the small varieties, for example tri color or spot tail.

Unread 10/13/2012, 09:26 PM   #121
Mstark11
Registered Member

2 Questions:

#1: Thinking about a Tux. Urchin. Any opinions? Think my system can support it?

#2: Looking at Kent Marine Essential Elements, and one of the ingredients in it is copper? Doesn't that kill inverts?

Unread 10/13/2012, 11:31 PM   #122
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

Tux would be the smaller choice of urchins. There are down sides to them. Like they will pick up anything lose and carry it on their back. Snail, coral frags not secured really anything they can use for camouflage. but for the most part they are great. you may have to get some nori to feed it if you don't have enough algae in your system. Beside adding some algae for them they really are easy to keep.

I've never used that chemical you are describing but as far as I know copper is lethal to all inverts. I personally don't recommend adding chemicals to your tank except for a select few. I believe most are snake oil and there is no oversight on them so they can claim whatever they want. I never really used anything other than calcium and magnesium supplements. I also wouldn't dose anything you can not measure with a test kit. So if you decide to use it my best advice would be to make sure you research it very well before adding it to your system.

Unread 10/13/2012, 11:46 PM   #123
Mstark11
Registered Member

Yea I wasn't going to add it, I was just looking through the Kent stuff and noticed that.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...FQSxnQodVAsAtA

What about a kalkwasser mix?

Unread 10/14/2012, 09:16 AM   #124
reefaluva
Registered Member

IMO you don't need to dose anything if you don't have corals. Water changes should restore any lost elements. I only dose calcium, and vitamins on occasion. Also if you can't test for it don't dose it... Those urchins are cool but if you plan on corals he will **** you off lol.. They collect a bunch of stuff on them including snails and corals unless of course they are mounted good..

Unread 10/14/2012, 09:19 AM   #125
reefaluva
Registered Member

Seems people like the essential elements. I guess if u were not doing water changes that would be cool to dose sparingly like 1/2 the recommended dose.