Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Fish559
Registered Member

Weight question (20 gallon)

I'm moving to a new house. I'd like to put my Nuvo 20 nano on the second floor in a little alcove. With a tank that size, any need to do whole structural engineer thing? I'm not thinking so, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask the RC folks....

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Sawen
Registered Member

A twenty gallon tank filled with water and stuff will weigh about 200 pounds.

Some adults are heavier than that. If it can support a 200 pounds adult, you will be fine.

Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 12:20 PM   #3
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry/think about it until you hit about a 75 gallon tank. At that point, I'd start thinking about things like whether the tank will run parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists (with perpendicular being much preferred).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Fish559
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 01/23/2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

8.6lbs per gallon is what saltwater weighs so 9lbs for easy math plus rock and sand... no need to worry about the weight on the second story.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 06:58 AM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

+1, you're good to go. You could put the tank anywhere without worrying about the strength of the floor. I had a 65 gallon in running parallel with my floor joists in the middle of a span (worst case scenario) and never had any issue at all. Now that I have a 150g, I have the tank perpendicular up against a load bearing wall. No additional floor support and has been fine, no deflection or creaking or anything, even in my fairly old house built in 1930.

Only consideration i'd have, and would with any tank, is if the stand you're putting it on can support the weight. Anything made for an aquarium would be fine. If you plan to put it on a spare dresser or something like that, you may want to sit on it and see if the drawers still open and it is still stable not going to tip over while being top heavy. I gave one of my old 40g tanks to my sister for her kids, and the stand I gave was unstable on their thick carpet. No good for having kids around for sure as they can pull on it and tip it over. We ended up setting it up on a spare desk they had. i checked that it could hold the weight and was constructed in a way to hold the aquarium. The base was wider, so did not wobble on the floor. has been good with kids running around and playing with no worries. just something to think about, but again, with a 20g tank you are likely to be safe with a variety of options.

Enjoy the new tank!

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 03:21 PM   #7
Fish559
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Nuvo stand.

It's actually running on almost two years now. It's doing great! IM makes a great little tank.