Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2010, 11:35 AM   #1
clp
RC Sponsor

Apex Firmware Update - 4.03 Beta

If you want to help test the latest firmware for the Apex, then read on. Don't expect this release to be perfect - that is why it is a beta release. If for any reason you are not comfortable putting beta firmware in your controller, I recommend that you wait for the final release.

This release adds the following features:

- Support for PM3 Module
- Support for WXM Module
- Enhanced power failure support for Apex base module (see system->Misc setup menu)
- Fixed DST clock web page bug.
- Fixed outlet initialization bug when clock auto updates.
- Fixed EB8 power failure detection

The firmware can be downloaded from:

www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_03.zip

Curt

clp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 05:34 PM   #2
swearint
Registered Member

Curt,

Can you explain the new Power Monitor setting?

I installed the new update, and my Apex still does not detect a loss of power on EB3. And I need to have the EB8 calibrated now, because it shows 0.7 Amps when unplugged from the wall.

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
swearint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 08:41 AM   #3
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Todd - PM sent.

Unread 04/10/2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Bud's Reef
Registered Member

Is there anywhere I can read details about the specific problems this release addresses?

Current Tank Info: 120G Display w/100G in support, 100G Frag/Anemone/Breeding set up.
Bud's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 11:02 AM   #5
kenargo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearint View Post
Curt,

Can you explain the new Power Monitor setting?

I installed the new update, and my Apex still does not detect a loss of power on EB3. And I need to have the EB8 calibrated now, because it shows 0.7 Amps when unplugged from the wall.

Todd

I can help...

In the setup screen, System, Misc you will see power monitor.

When this is off (default) the if power for the apex works as it does today (pretty much only detecting power off using an EB8 power state.

When you set to on you will be able to use if power apex to tell when the AC power plug has power (if you had an AC3 think of this similar to the aux power).

This will enable sceenarios like having an EB8 on a UPS but connecting the Apex power to the wall. When wall power is lost the 'If Power Apex' will report the power loss and you can acto on that condition.

Make sense?

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 11:03 AM   #6
kenargo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud's Reef View Post
Is there anywhere I can read details about the specific problems this release addresses?

In the readme:

Apex 4.04 4/1/10 Release 4A10
- Support for PM3 Module
- Support for WXM Module
- Enhanced power failure support for Apex base module (see system->Misc setup menu)

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
Unread 04/10/2010, 11:41 AM   #7
swearint
Registered Member

OK, thanks Ken. I have the auxillary power adapter running from a UPS. So I don't guess I need it enabled. The problem I have is that the Apex does not detect when the EB8 loses power. This latest update had no effect, so I don't know if that means the EB8 is defective or the base unit? Curt had previously stated that the issue was EMI related, but in my testing everything but the base unit is without power/unplugged. I don't know where the EMI would come from other than the base unit itself.

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Unread 04/10/2010, 01:20 PM   #8
kenargo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearint View Post
OK, thanks Ken. I have the auxillary power adapter running from a UPS. So I don't guess I need it enabled. The problem I have is that the Apex does not detect when the EB8 loses power. This latest update had no effect, so I don't know if that means the EB8 is defective or the base unit? Curt had previously stated that the issue was EMI related, but in my testing everything but the base unit is without power/unplugged. I don't know where the EMI would come from other than the base unit itself.

Todd
What power fail statement(s) are you using? It shuold be something like:

If Power EB8_3 Then On

Unread 04/10/2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Bud's Reef
Registered Member

Ken, thanks, I saw that. I was looking for the specific details of each problem that it fixes and what were the symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenargo View Post
In the readme:

Apex 4.04 4/1/10 Release 4A10
- Support for PM3 Module
- Support for WXM Module

Current Tank Info: 120G Display w/100G in support, 100G Frag/Anemone/Breeding set up.
Unread 04/10/2010, 01:38 PM   #10
swearint
Registered Member

Quote:
What power fail statement(s) are you using? It shuold be something like:

If Power EB8_3 Then On
Yes, I have 'If Power EB8_3 OFF 000 then ON' in the Email Outlet. I also created a virtual outlet to test it:

[Power Test]
If Power EB8_3 On 000 Then ON
If Power EB8_3 Off 000 Then OFF

It stays ON regardless of whether the EB8 is plugged into the wall or not. Also, when unplugged the Status page reports Power OK, but does report zero amps (well it did before the update, I need to re-calibrate).

Todd

Unread 04/12/2010, 04:12 PM   #11
ENS
Registered Member

Tagging along for info about further updates to this beta.

And one feature suggestion to add to an update ... the ability for the end user to calibrate or set the amps the EB8 is registering/displaying per outlet. Mine is not really accurate, and I'd like to be able to use an amp meter as reference and make it what I want, e.g., if Outlet 2 "powerhead 1" is on, it lists .2 amps, etc., instead of the .0 or .1 that it is registering.

Current Tank Info: In process of designing/building new custom in-wall 330gl tank w/ 220gl sump system, LED lights, Neptune Apex controller, Deltec TC2560 skimmer, Deltec Kalk Rxtr, Ozone, and lots of other toys/equip. Moved in 2014, leaving prior in-wall tank.

Last edited by ENS; 04/12/2010 at 04:20 PM.
ENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 04:22 PM   #12
tamu
Registered Member

I have been running solid on 4.02 for a month now with no issues.

I upgraded to 4.03 beta and now have received a couple of power failure notices, even though I do not lose power.

The If Power Apex line is triggering and then looking at my power statements it shows the power failed and the EB8 minutes reset.

I have not changed any settings since upgrading.

tamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 06:13 PM   #13
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Were you operating the web pages at the time of the reported power failure? Is it possible the unit is re-booting on its own at that time?

Unread 04/13/2010, 06:16 PM   #14
tamu
Registered Member

No, one was over night.

Unread 04/13/2010, 09:54 PM   #15
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
Were you operating the web pages at the time of the reported power failure? Is it possible the unit is re-booting on its own at that time?
I have this occur frequently. Typically on the status page, there is what appears to be a delay in the refresh, often forcing a reload of the page which triggers a power failure reporting. Both the Apex and EB8 are on a UPS - no actual power failures occurs.

This occurs just about daily - Anyone else seeing this?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 06:12 AM   #16
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

I'd send a note to Neptune. Curt was chasing a memory allocation problem with the web pages and was going to make some changes in 4.03. Not sure if this is it but the symptoms sound the same.

Unread 04/14/2010, 08:34 AM   #17
Bud's Reef
Registered Member

I've also seen this in two forms, one is it reports a power failure even though a power failure never happens and there is no impact other than the outlet log shows everything turning back on, even though it never really turned off. The second is it reports a power failure without a failure happening but the outlets momentarily turn off before turning back on. I thought it was just a coincidence but now I'm not so sure, it seemed to happen when I would be away from my computer for a while, come back to find the staus page saying cannot be displayed, I hit refresh and when it refreshes the screen it does the power fail. I don't normally keep the web open to the Apex but was only doing so since I just set up a new dosing program and wanted to keep my eye on the PH. For the last couple of days I have only opened the connection, checked on the PH and then closed it again. I also check the logs and have not had another fake power fail.

I just upgraded to 4.02 on 4/5/2010 and have not yet upgraded to 4.03.

Unread 04/14/2010, 09:12 AM   #18
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud's Reef View Post
I've also seen this in two forms, one is it reports a power failure even though a power failure never happens and there is no impact other than the outlet log shows everything turning back on, even though it never really turned off. The second is it reports a power failure without a failure happening but the outlets momentarily turn off before turning back on. I thought it was just a coincidence but now I'm not so sure, it seemed to happen when I would be away from my computer for a while, come back to find the staus page saying cannot be displayed, I hit refresh and when it refreshes the screen it does the power fail. I don't normally keep the web open to the Apex but was only doing so since I just set up a new dosing program and wanted to keep my eye on the PH. For the last couple of days I have only opened the connection, checked on the PH and then closed it again. I also check the logs and have not had another fake power fail.

I just upgraded to 4.02 on 4/5/2010 and have not yet upgraded to 4.03.
+1 - I have the exact same events and am also running 4.02.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 09:56 AM   #19
CJO
Registered Member

Quote:
I can help...

In the setup screen, System, Misc you will see power monitor.

When this is off (default) the if power for the apex works as it does today (pretty much only detecting power off using an EB8 power state.

When you set to on you will be able to use if power apex to tell when the AC power plug has power (if you had an AC3 think of this similar to the aux power).

This will enable sceenarios like having an EB8 on a UPS but connecting the Apex power to the wall. When wall power is lost the 'If Power Apex' will report the power loss and you can acto on that condition.

Make sense?
Wohoo! I was hoping that they would be able to do this at some point, but didn't know that they would be able to with just a firmware update.

Thanks,
CJ

CJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2010, 04:08 PM   #20
clp
RC Sponsor

An updated beta release has just been uploaded to our website. You can download it from:

http://www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_03.zip

Most of the changes include bug fixes for the WXM. There is also a change graph web page so that the graph will load properly on some web browsers.

Curt

clp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2010, 06:48 PM   #21
tamu
Registered Member

I just updated to the newest 4.03.

My ph2 is now showing NONE/BOGUS on the webpage. There is no graph for it now.

The display shows it as bogu

Should I do a hard reset?

Unread 04/16/2010, 06:55 PM   #22
kenargo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu View Post
I just updated to the newest 4.03.

My ph2 is now showing NONE/BOGUS on the webpage. There is no graph for it now.

The display shows it as bogu

Should I do a hard reset?
Did you update web pages? I assum you are selecting the PH2 probe in the graph selection page?

Lastly, verify that PH2 is still enabeld as PH2 (and that it didn't get reset to ORP).

Unread 04/16/2010, 07:03 PM   #23
tamu
Registered Member

Yes, I updated the webpages as well.

It is as if pH2 is completely gone. I went to check to make sure it was not disabled/back to an ORP port. When I cylce through it only gives me the option of ph and pHx4. I'm using my PM1 port as ORPx4.

Not sure what to do now.

also, in the drop down for the graphs, pH2 is not there.

Unread 04/16/2010, 07:07 PM   #24
tamu
Registered Member

Pic Attached

Attached Images
File Type: png disp.png (4.3 KB, 22 views)
Unread 04/16/2010, 07:29 PM   #25
tamu
Registered Member

I just reflashed the firmware, still the same.