Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2009, 10:11 PM   #326
TwistedEnvy
Acan Freak

Hey RC

I have only been on here for a little while now and joined after being on the WRS website and hearin about this one.

Right now I am running a 55 gal fish tank that I bought pre-established from someone who got out of the hobby. When I bought it I knew almost nothing about the hobby. When I bought it, it came with this livestock:

1 yellow tang
1 Scopas Tang
1 Blue Hippo
1 Clarkii
1 O Clown
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Red Hermit
1 LG Condy Anemone
3 lg snails
1 choc. chip star
1 sand sifting star
2 sally lightfoot crabs
50-60 pounds of LR sparsley covered coralline

Also came with Rena 30 filter, a very small power head and a skimmer.

I have sold the CC star and condy. Added a power head that is rated at 1350 gph. I now have this live stock:

Green Bubbletip Anemone
Purpletipped frogspawn with 5 heads
Blue Zoos
Orange Zoos
Green Zoos
1 Kenya Tree
2 Seperate xenia stalks
1 green birdsnest
1 Monti Cap (purple/orange)
1 Digi
1 Yellow Ricordia
1 Large Green Polyp Colony with Devils hand attached
1 small green polyp colony
1 toadstool? it just looked cool
1 mandarin goby
1 anemone crab (red with stripes)
1 white hermit crab
2 very small snails
More coralline!

I use a double GLO t5 fixture, but wish I had way more.

I plan to upgrade to a larger tank (120-155+) and don't want to buy undersized equiptment now. Hoping to find a great deal soon!

Still very new and appreciate any and ALL advice

TwistedEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2009, 10:27 PM   #327
Tschupe
Registered Member

Talking waterkeeper

I hope i'm not the only one who appreciates waterkeepers sarcasm. Good suff

Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2009, 10:42 PM   #328
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwistedEnvy
Hey RC

I have only been on here for a little while now and joined after being on the WRS website and hearin about this one.

Right now I am running a 55 gal fish tank that I bought pre-established from someone who got out of the hobby. When I bought it I knew almost nothing about the hobby. When I bought it, it came with this livestock:

1 yellow tang
1 Scopas Tang
1 Blue Hippo
1 Clarkii
1 O Clown
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Red Hermit
1 LG Condy Anemone
3 lg snails
1 choc. chip star
1 sand sifting star
2 sally lightfoot crabs
50-60 pounds of LR sparsley covered coralline

Also came with Rena 30 filter, a very small power head and a skimmer.

I have sold the CC star and condy. Added a power head that is rated at 1350 gph. I now have this live stock:

Green Bubbletip Anemone
Purpletipped frogspawn with 5 heads
Blue Zoos
Orange Zoos
Green Zoos
1 Kenya Tree
2 Seperate xenia stalks
1 green birdsnest
1 Monti Cap (purple/orange)
1 Digi
1 Yellow Ricordia
1 Large Green Polyp Colony with Devils hand attached
1 small green polyp colony
1 toadstool? it just looked cool
1 mandarin goby
1 anemone crab (red with stripes)
1 white hermit crab
2 very small snails
More coralline!

I use a double GLO t5 fixture, but wish I had way more.

I plan to upgrade to a larger tank (120-155+) and don't want to buy undersized equiptment now. Hoping to find a great deal soon!

Still very new and appreciate any and ALL advice
wow all that in a 55gal---it must look packed but beautiful---can you post a picture of it

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2009, 10:43 PM   #329
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: waterkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
I hope i'm not the only one who appreciates waterkeepers sarcasm. Good suff
he isn't being sarcastic he means it

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/28/2009, 10:53 PM   #330
Tschupe
Registered Member

Wink

even better. I like his style

Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2009, 11:10 PM   #331
TwistedEnvy
Acan Freak

Here are some older photos. It souns like it would be cramped but it really isn't. My Scopas and yellow tangs act like they are best buds most of the time, but the blue hippo seems to have personality issues ever since the previous owner owned a grouper who terrorized it. She is pretty messed up but healthy.

So many scratches on tank from prev. owner. Should have known to look before buying!

Unread 05/28/2009, 11:34 PM   #332
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2009, 06:21 PM   #333
New Jer-Z
Registered Member

Hey everyone, The names Chris and I'm a Saltwater fishaholic...

Not super new but am always willing to learn more about the hobby.

New Jer-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2009, 06:56 PM   #334
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by New Jer-Z
Hey everyone, The names Chris and I'm a Saltwater fishaholic...

Not super new but am always willing to learn more about the hobby.

To Reef Central

you are among similar fishaholics here

Unread 05/29/2009, 07:03 PM   #335
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are some older photos. It souns like it would be cramped but it really isn't. My Scopas and yellow tangs act like they are best buds most of the time, but the blue hippo seems to have personality issues ever since the previous owner owned a grouper who terrorized it. She is pretty messed up but healthy.

So many scratches on tank from prev. owner. Should have known to look before buying!
your tank is coming along great for 4 months. I would watch out for the urchin---it looks like it has done its job cleaning algae off the glass----you don't want it to starve to death--which can happen when they run out of algae

Unread 05/29/2009, 07:30 PM   #336
MikeFisher1972
Registered Member

Thank you for the knowledge!!

well i moved over to RC Sep 2008 been looking around and just in the past few weeks started to do some posting.
36 yr old Active duty Navy X-ray tech benn wanting to do a saltwater tank for a long time now that i will not be changing duty stations i started my addiction all over.
When i was little my dad started me on saltwater fish tanks.
when i was 15 i sold saltwater plants to a local fish store in Naperville Illinois so my dad could get corals and fish for his tank.
"I dont remember the name"
I have been active duty for almost 17years and moving all the time i didnt start a tank. now it is on and i am still a new B!!

Current Tank Info: 300gStarfire and a 8 foot monster
MikeFisher1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2009, 08:50 PM   #337
jfeckford
Registered Member

New to RC

Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to find RC. Stumbled across it while searching the web.
I started in SW in 1994 and had a 58g tank with LR, fish and soft corals until 1998. Had to give up the hobby due to frequent moves and finishing up my education. I have finally reached a point in my life where things are stable and slowing down...and I need a hobby.

I was a heavy lurker on Fishnet during my four years and learned a ton.
I am looking forward to diving back into the hobby and get caught up on the latest and greatest techniques and equipment. Some of the equipment is the same but it seems a lot has changed with lighting and skimmers. Also seems that refugiums have become quite popular. I have really enjoyed looking at the TOTM pages.

I am just starting my research stage and hope to spend the next 6-12 months getting caught up and getting a good game plan.

This seems like a great resource...similar to Fishnet in the day. Any recommendations on other sources or some good books? I have the classics from the 90's like Martin Moe, Delbeek and Sprung. Are these still reasonably current?

Thanks for everyone's help!

John

jfeckford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2009, 09:29 PM   #338
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: Thank you for the knowledge!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFisher1972

well i moved over to RC Sep 2008 been looking around and just in the past few weeks started to do some posting.
36 yr old Active duty Navy X-ray tech benn wanting to do a saltwater tank for a long time now that i will not be changing duty stations i started my addiction all over.
When i was little my dad started me on saltwater fish tanks.
when i was 15 i sold saltwater plants to a local fish store in Naperville Illinois so my dad could get corals and fish for his tank.
"I dont remember the name"
I have been active duty for almost 17years and moving all the time i didnt start a tank. now it is on and i am still a new B!!

thanks for posting pics of your tanks--look great
There are alot of service people on this site--PaulB being one

To Reef Central

Unread 05/29/2009, 09:33 PM   #339
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: New to RC

Quote:
Originally posted by jfeckford
Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to find RC. Stumbled across it while searching the web.
I started in SW in 1994 and had a 58g tank with LR, fish and soft corals until 1998. Had to give up the hobby due to frequent moves and finishing up my education. I have finally reached a point in my life where things are stable and slowing down...and I need a hobby.

I was a heavy lurker on Fishnet during my four years and learned a ton.
I am looking forward to diving back into the hobby and get caught up on the latest and greatest techniques and equipment. Some of the equipment is the same but it seems a lot has changed with lighting and skimmers. Also seems that refugiums have become quite popular. I have really enjoyed looking at the TOTM pages.

I am just starting my research stage and hope to spend the next 6-12 months getting caught up and getting a good game plan.

This seems like a great resource...similar to Fishnet in the day. Any recommendations on other sources or some good books? I have the classics from the 90's like Martin Moe, Delbeek and Sprung. Are these still reasonably current?

Thanks for everyone's help!

John

To Reef Central

the thread at the top of this forum by Waterkeeper is a good start

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1031074

this web site is fantastic:

www.melevsreef.com

and the capn's log book blogs has some information you might find useful:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=346

that should keep you busy reading until morning

Unread 05/29/2009, 10:24 PM   #340
TwistedEnvy
Acan Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
your tank is coming along great for 4 months. I would watch out for the urchin---it looks like it has done its job cleaning algae off the glass----you don't want it to starve to death--which can happen when they run out of algae
Oh yes, no worries. I bought him shortly after I bought the tank, but then traded him for some corals after he did his job He now has a wonderful home in a very very well established 75 with many other tanks nearby to go to and clean.

I'll post some more rcent photos soon.

Unread 05/29/2009, 10:27 PM   #341
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh yes, no worries. I bought him shortly after I bought the tank, but then traded him for some corals after he did his job He now has a wonderful home in a very very well established 75 with many other tanks nearby to go to and clean.

I'll post some more rcent photos soon.
that's great--suggest you start your own build thread so other reefers can follow your progess

Unread 05/30/2009, 05:18 PM   #342
prettypearl08
Registered Member

Extremely New

Hello Everyone on the RC. I am extremely new to the whole reef idea, but I have been thinking aboutit for a long time. I am just starting actually get the process started.

prettypearl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2009, 06:29 PM   #343
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Prettypearl

To Reef Central

Glad to have you on RC. I answered your question on lighting in that thread.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2009, 12:20 AM   #344
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Extremely New

Quote:
Originally posted by prettypearl08
Hello Everyone on the RC. I am extremely new to the whole reef idea, but I have been thinking aboutit for a long time. I am just starting actually get the process started.
welcome to the forum prettypearl and

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2009, 01:56 AM   #345
Kakabub
Registered Member

Noob

Well I'm brand new to the reef/saltwater thing. I've had a few freshwater tanks in my youth but I've always wanted to get into salt. I live in Sacramento CA and work in the SF Bay Area, yes... that is a little bit of a commute but houses ain't cheap out here! Been on Reef Central for a couple of weeks trolling and I figured it's time to register and get involved, everyone I talk to about reef tanks tell me this is the place to be . Setup my 125 and started cycling yesterday, everything except lights for right now, haven't figured out what to run yet. I want to be able to have the option to grow pretty much anything and was thinking about 2x250 MH with supplemental Flourescent lighting but I want to build it myself so I can get exactly what I need and maybe save a few bucks Tank is 72" long I think 20" or 22" tall, I'm too tired right now to go measure it. Lots of pics and will post a build thread once I get them uploaded. I have tons of questions and am looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Kakabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2009, 02:51 AM   #346
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Noob

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakabub
Well I'm brand new to the reef/saltwater thing. I've had a few freshwater tanks in my youth but I've always wanted to get into salt. I live in Sacramento CA and work in the SF Bay Area, yes... that is a little bit of a commute but houses ain't cheap out here! Been on Reef Central for a couple of weeks trolling and I figured it's time to register and get involved, everyone I talk to about reef tanks tell me this is the place to be . Setup my 125 and started cycling yesterday, everything except lights for right now, haven't figured out what to run yet. I want to be able to have the option to grow pretty much anything and was thinking about 2x250 MH with supplemental Flourescent lighting but I want to build it myself so I can get exactly what I need and maybe save a few bucks Tank is 72" long I think 20" or 22" tall, I'm too tired right now to go measure it. Lots of pics and will post a build thread once I get them uploaded. I have tons of questions and am looking forward to hearing from you guys.
welcome to the forum, when your ready start asking questions, nice to see you here and im glad you chose this forum

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2009, 08:01 AM   #347
brandiwos
Registered Member

Hello

Hi, my name is Brandi. I'm 28 and I have been keeping tanks on and off since I was 16. Glad to meet yall !

brandiwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2009, 10:52 AM   #348
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally posted by brandiwos
Hi, my name is Brandi. I'm 28 and I have been keeping tanks on and off since I was 16. Glad to meet yall !

To Reef Central

I hope you will setup your own thread and show some of the pictures of your tank.

Unread 06/01/2009, 03:01 PM   #349
eho72
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Eric. I just joined RC last month. Currently I have a 12 gallon nano cube that has been up and running for 6 months. I went through the pain of the algae growth at the beginning but have a stable system ever since. One of my first early mistake was buying some SPS (acropora) without knowing the full requirements. Soon enough, they turned white and died. The lighting and flow wasn't enough. Since then, I have only put starter corals such as toadstool, frog spawns, zoos, and mushrooms in my tank. They are all doing well now.

There is so much information here on RC. Since joining, I have been inspired by looking at some of the members' tanks and the TOTMs. I have this bright idea to startup a 120 g reef aquarium. I was going to look on craigslist and used equipments for most of my purchases. My taste has quickly changed. I now have all of my equipments beside the lighting and a couple of powerhead. I am going all out with a starphire glass tank, euro-reef cs180 skimmer, marco rocks. I am still looking to order the ATI powermodule and tunze nanostream. Now the hard part is convincing my wife that this is a worthwhile hobby for all of the money that I am putting in. Once my tank is up and running, I will be looking at an empty tank with rocks for the next 6 months.

eho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2009, 03:21 PM   #350
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Eric

To Reef Central

I took the name WaterKeeper because I had a tank with only RO/DI water sitting around for a few months when I first set up my first reef tank. Sounds like you are doing things right.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral