Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:59 AM   #1
big_aug
Registered Member

What to look for buying used?

So I'm doing my research and looking to put together my first tank. I've been browsing craigslist/Facebook for tanks while I'm reading up.

What things should I be wary of? I have no experience and I'm worried about buying a big *** tank that is some how defective. Perhaps I'm paranoid. I buy used stuff all the time, but it's stuff I have a lot of experience with.

Any checklists or rules or thumb? For example, I saw a nice looking 125g tank with a nice wokd stand, sump, etc but id be scared to buy it. I'm not ready to buy yet, but I just want to keep my eyes open.

Thank you!

big_aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 10:05 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Right off the bat I would not buy a used tank without seeing it full of water. You'll never be able to tell if it is 100% leak proof empty.

Unread 01/31/2018, 10:22 AM   #3
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Right off the bat I would not buy a used tank without seeing it full of water. You'll never be able to tell if it is 100% leak proof empty.
Thats what I wanted to hear actually. That was my fear.

Thanks!

Unread 01/31/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

If you have a LFS (local fish store) nearby, and they have used tanks, simply ask them their policy should you take it home and discover it leaks. If they are willing to refund that's obviously okay.

ALWAYS leak test any aquarium (new or used). Preferably outside. Should something catastrophic happen, you won't damage your house, office, etc.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:01 AM   #5
crawlerman
Registered Member

I bought my 180g from craigslist. The main thing I wanted was to see it up and running with healthy corals and fish. I had a fear of buying a system that had copper in it. Also didn't want to buy someones neglected tank and deal with algae and nutrient packed live rock.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 11:06 AM   #6
big_aug
Registered Member

Im only a couple hours from Aquarium Adventure in Columbus. Mayne I'll just everything there.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:08 AM   #7
big_aug
Registered Member

I cant figure out how to edit my posts to correct typos...

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:09 AM   #8
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
I bought my 180g from craigslist. The main thing I wanted was to see it up and running with healthy corals and fish. I had a fear of buying a system that had copper in it. Also didn't want to buy someones neglected tank and deal with algae and nutrient packed live rock.
I'm close to you actually. Im in Wheeling, WV.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:21 AM   #9
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_aug View Post
Not sure if you need a post count but when viewing your posts in the forum, you'll see an "Edit" button right next to the "Quote" button on the bottom right of your single post.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:41 AM   #10
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Not sure if you need a post count but when viewing your posts in the forum, you'll see an "Edit" button right next to the "Quote" button on the bottom right of your single post.
Definitely a post count thing as I looked everywhere. I'll farm a few here

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:51 AM   #11
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
Are there any good shops in Pittsburgh? I can't PM you because it requires 10 posts.

Unread 01/31/2018, 12:02 PM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Im only a couple hours from Aquarium Adventure in Columbus. Mayne I'll just everything there.
JMO, but NO!!!!!

IME, they are overpriced to say the least. Check out Aaron and the folks at Rivers to Reefs at Morse and Cherrybottom in Gahanna.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 12:15 PM   #13
big_aug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
JMO, but NO!!!!!

IME, they are overpriced to say the least. Check out Aaron and the folks at Rivers to Reefs at Morse and Cherrybottom in Gahanna.
Thanks. Suggestions are needed. It will be a while before I buy anything but id like to have a lot of options when the time comes.

Unread 02/01/2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

If you are careful about buying used you should be fine. If the seller isn't willing to fill an aquarium or plug in a pump, then walk away.

I set up a 180g tank I got used and everything I needed I got used or from 'going out of business sales' or our local club raffle! The only thing I bought new was a 1hp chiller, not many of them on the used market and the few that were out there were too far away or way too used!

Unread 02/01/2018, 06:55 AM   #15
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

Quote:
you have to be a member for at least 90 days and have over 50 posts, dont worry about it for now a lot of us are fluent in typo.