Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2016, 06:00 PM   #4601
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
For once, common sense.
You need depth to be able to create some decent rockwork and still have some free space in the front.
Then you want as much real estate for corals as possible. Most fish also prefer to have more room to the back.
Then it's pretty much the standard recommendation I found in most of my (mostly German) books.
You will find this ration also if you look at many reef tanks around here, especially with coral centric tanks.
Also, personal experience has taught me that this is the ideal ratio. Of course only up to a certain length. A depth of much more than 3 foot becomes quickly unmanageable for a home tank - exceptions are room dividers where you have access from both sides.
OK, I have never heard anything like that - other than fish need more room to swim than corals need room, etc...

But I have never heard anyone say that a 48" long tank (24" wide) is better than a 60" long tank (18.5" wide) where fish are concerned.

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:09 PM   #4602
OrionN
Moved on

A lot of active swimmers require long tanks. 6 foot for this tang and 10 foot for that tang...
However I completely agree with ThRoewer regarding dimention of reef tank with Aquascape and coral in mind.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:12 PM   #4603
OrionN
Moved on

Regal Angels we not active swimmers. They are only out in the open water only a small a out of the time. Certainly you will never see them do a mad dash along the length of the tank like some tangs. Good rock structure is important for Regal Angels

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:14 PM   #4604
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If he looks good and eat great, I would get him. He should not take any crab from the Coral Beauty, too much bigger. If the wrasse is a problem just get rid of him
That was what I was thinking not to mention the deal they are giving me is $65. I am still having a hard time deciding. Either way, the Wrasse is going to be trapped and taken back to the LFS while the new fish are in QT. I wish it was smaller but I will probably not get a price like that again.

Still not sure what I will do.

harley3ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:29 PM   #4605
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
OK, I have never heard anything like that - other than fish need more room to swim than corals need room, etc...

But I have never heard anyone say that a 48" long tank (24" wide) is better than a 60" long tank (18.5" wide) where fish are concerned.
I would suggest to do some research on that.
Even with freshwater tanks deeper tanks allow for better aquascapes - just check out Takashi Amano's aquascapes.

BTW, long term, corals need more space than fish as they are immobile and rely on light.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:36 PM   #4606
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
I would suggest to do some research on that.
Even with freshwater tanks deeper tanks allow for better aquascapes - just check out Takashi Amano's aquascapes.

BTW, long term, corals need more space than fish as they are immobile and rely on light.
Well, of course deeper tanks allow wider aquascapes - that is just common sense - you don't need to "research" that...

We weren't talking about aquascapes - we were talking about a Regal Angel and if it would fare better in a 60" long (18.5 wide) tank or a 48" long (24" wide) tank.

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 06:51 PM   #4607
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
We weren't talking about aquascapes - we were talking about a Regal Angel and if it would fare better in a 60" long (18.5 wide) tank or a 48" long (24" wide) tank.
Minh answered that already - regal angels (like most other angels) need deep intricate aquascapes more than a long raceway. What counts is rock surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley3ky View Post
That was what I was thinking not to mention the deal they are giving me is $65. I am still having a hard time deciding. Either way, the Wrasse is going to be trapped and taken back to the LFS while the new fish are in QT. I wish it was smaller but I will probably not get a price like that again.

Still not sure what I will do.
$65 is a fair price for an eating Pacific regal, especially at that size. If you should take him or not depends on the frequency these kind of fish show up in your neighborhood. If they come frequently I would say wait for a smaller. If you see them rarely I would consider taking him.

A store here has frequently regal angels from the Philippines (Pacific sub-species) and Sumatra (Indian Ocean sub-species). Right now they have a few nice Sumatra yellow belly regal from 4 to 6 inch for $100 to $150. All eating well for weeks now. Especially the largest one always looks at me as if he wants to say "take me home" - so far I could resist (I would need a bigger tank for him anyway) but it is an impressive fish and tempting (and I have already 6 regal angels!).

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/26/2016, 07:41 PM   #4608
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
Minh answered that already - regal angels (like most other angels) need deep intricate aquascapes more than a long raceway. What counts is rock surface.

$65 is a fair price for an eating Pacific regal, especially at that size. If you should take him or not depends on the frequency these kind of fish show up in your neighborhood. If they come frequently I would say wait for a smaller. If you see them rarely I would consider taking him.

A store here has frequently regal angels from the Philippines (Pacific sub-species) and Sumatra (Indian Ocean sub-species). Right now they have a few nice Sumatra yellow belly regal from 4 to 6 inch for $100 to $150. All eating well for weeks now. Especially the largest one always looks at me as if he wants to say "take me home" - so far I could resist (I would need a bigger tank for him anyway) but it is an impressive fish and tempting (and I have already 6 regal angels!).
They are a small shop and haven't had many that I have seen. It is mainly because they haven't had many requests and so they have gotten overlooked. I mentioned this fish to them late last week and they got it this week. It was about half the price from what they normally see so they brought it in in case I wanted it. I guess if I wait, I may have to pay a little more but I would be able to get a smaller one like I wanted. Plus I would be able to add some more rock to make it better for him.

This is what it looks like now. Old pic but the rock work is the same.

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:30 AM.
Unread 05/26/2016, 08:07 PM   #4609
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley3ky View Post
They are a small shop and haven't had many that I have seen. It is mainly because they haven't had many requests and so they have gotten overlooked. I mentioned this fish to them late last week and they got it this week. It was about half the price from what they normally see so they brought it in in case I wanted it. I guess if I wait, I may have to pay a little more but I would be able to get a smaller one like I wanted. Plus I would be able to add some more rock to make it better for him.

This is what it looks like now. Old pic but the rock work is the same.
Everybody has different ideas but if it were me I would add more live rock to make several caves for him to hide in and feel secure

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 08:59 PM   #4610
OrionN
Moved on

If you request, and did not buy. They cannot sale it, they would be reluctant to order another again.

Unread 05/27/2016, 01:27 AM   #4611
ThRoewer
Registered Member

3-1/4" Maldivian Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish

Hard to believe that this guy hasn't sold yet - must be the long weekend ...
or everybody who always wanted one, got one in the latest sale...

- nah, once you have one, you want another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...

Unread 05/27/2016, 03:49 AM   #4612
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
3-1/4" Maldivian Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish

Hard to believe that this guy hasn't sold yet - must be the long weekend ...
or everybody who always wanted one, got one in the latest sale...

- nah, once you have one, you want another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...
and another,...
He is waiting for you
Seriously what you wrote there is so true for me and at least a few reefers active on this thread

Unread 05/27/2016, 05:34 AM   #4613
alton
Registered Member

Looking at the DD regal, I feel pretty confident it will be a misbar also?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD Regal3.jpg (20.9 KB, 38 views)
Unread 05/27/2016, 05:39 AM   #4614
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I was going to comment on this but you beat me to it.

Unread 05/27/2016, 07:24 AM   #4615
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
You know there is probably a 15% off coupon somewhere and with the price being over $175 the shipping is free? Just saying.

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:00 AM   #4616
Mike S
Registered Member

Quote:
I was surprised to see it still there when I woke up this morning and then just a few minutes ago. In the end I couldn't resist... :-)

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 08:14 AM   #4617
alton
Registered Member

Congrats!!!
Now I know why I saw this

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD REGAL SOLD.jpg (23.4 KB, 32 views)
Unread 05/27/2016, 08:47 AM   #4618
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
It is an interesting misbar, caused by one stripes lower end joining up with the wrong upper end - it's almost like a crossover.

Unread 05/27/2016, 09:59 AM   #4619
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
He is waiting for you
Seriously what you wrote there is so true for me and at least a few reefers active on this thread
I have 2 now. lol..

I'm secretly lurking behind all you guys buying fish you guys say are awesome

Unread 05/27/2016, 09:59 AM   #4620
Mike S
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrats!!!
Now I know why I saw this
Thanks I had one for a few years that I lost to a velvet out break. Of all the fish that I lost that one stung the most. I finally tried another one several months ago but it was closer to 5 inches. It was eating but not aggressively as I would have liked and I lost it after a few months. Been holding out for a smaller one. A misbar yellow belly at this size seemed to be too good to pass upespecially with a coupon on top of it. Luckily my qt is just getting freed up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unread 05/27/2016, 10:42 AM   #4621
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
If you request, and did not buy. They cannot sale it, they would be reluctant to order another again.
I totally agree with that and under normal circumstances you are correct. As a business owner myself, I wouldn't do that to them. In this case, the fish that they ordered and what I wanted was supposed to be a small or Juvenile fish. Before I even saw it they made it very clear that I did not need to feel obligated to buy it since it was not what I ask for. These guys are really good about stuff like this and are great when it comes to customer service. They are hobbyists like us that decided to open the store in the back of their existing business because they had extra space in their building.

Unread 05/27/2016, 10:44 AM   #4622
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I was surprised to see it still there when I woke up this morning and then just a few minutes ago. In the end I couldn't resist... :-)
Congrats Mike! I saw that last night. Great looking Regal.

Unread 06/01/2016, 09:50 AM   #4623
alton
Registered Member

My baby with a couple of his buds today

Unread 06/01/2016, 03:39 PM   #4624
Mike S
Registered Member

The regal came in from divers den today looking in very good shape. Acclimated it quickly and put it in my qt. Gave it a little frozen 30 minutes later and it ate right away.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/03/2016, 08:16 AM   #4625
Code4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
The regal came in from divers den today looking in very good shape. Acclimated it quickly and put it in my qt. Gave it a little frozen 30 minutes later and it ate right away.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Congratulations. It is a beautiful fish. I got one recently from Jordan at amongthereef.com It is eating and looks great. Have had it for one week today. The Yellow Belly Regal is 3.5 inches in length. It will be in quarantine for a while.

Shelley

Code4 is offline   Reply With Quote