Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2009, 02:23 PM   #76
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
the crab is currently in the sump. In the wild it coexists with the coral, but in my tank, I'm just not sure if it would work. These crabs camouflage themselves by eating the coral polyps and taking on the pigments. They also decorate themselves with pieces of the coral. Really amazing and cool, but at the expense of my Dendronephthya which I work so hard to maintain? I don't know... in the wild I'm sure the coral can handle it, in the wild these corals can get huge, but in a captive system... these guys are hard enough to keep WITHOUT having something eating their polyps
Ah, that totally sucks that they eat the coral... Do you have any kind of lighting over your tank at all? Also, can you post a FTS please?

Food comes with it's own flavor. Anything that has to steal flavor from other food just so it can have flavor is not a food. That is

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon Mixed Reef, mostly SPS dominated
Western_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2009, 03:28 PM   #77
uhuru
Registered Member

I have LED lighting which comes on in the evenings. I'm currently waiting to get it modified however, so that I can control it with my apex. I will try to get an FTS soon. I've been waiting for when everything in the tank is perfect, but then I guess it wouldn't be much of a build thread would it... so maybe tonight (just keep in mind the tank is still a work in progress)!

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2009, 05:16 PM   #78
uhuru
Registered Member

Unread 10/24/2009, 06:03 PM   #79
uhuru
Registered Member

Unread 10/24/2009, 06:44 PM   #80
happyclam
Registered Member

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Amazing job! Can't wait to see how this tank matures and the success it will have in the following years. Truly ground breaking.

happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2009, 07:55 PM   #81
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

WOW! Its GORGEOUS!! You should get weaker LED's.

Food comes with it's own flavor. Anything that has to steal flavor from other food just so it can have flavor is not a food. That is

Unread 10/25/2009, 09:43 AM   #82
uhuru
Registered Member

Thanks guys! The LEDs will be controllable soon hopefully, also plan to switch out some white for royal blues.

Unread 10/26/2009, 12:36 PM   #83
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Looks awesome man!

Mike so you use the elite? I saw an awesome elite mod posted today in the ELOS forum that I would've done with mine, but I sold it... I'm just going to use some other form of LED when I find one I like (no hurry, corals don't care ).

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 01:03 PM   #84
esco
Registered Member

It's beautiful! The progression is breathtaking, love the gorgs

Current Tank Info: 125G Cubish, ELOS Mini
esco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 03:09 PM   #85
uhuru
Registered Member

Thanks!

Austin - I'm still using the e-lite, but I'm having the same mod done to mine... I was waiting for that one to get done so I could send him mine

Unread 10/26/2009, 04:12 PM   #86
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

I think its time for you to upgrade.

Unread 11/01/2009, 04:43 PM   #87
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

What do you feed the corals? Can you give us your coral food recipe please?

Unread 11/01/2009, 06:19 PM   #88
uhuru
Registered Member

Right now I am feeding 40% Shellfish Diet/40% Roti-Feast/20% Oyster-Feast undiluted via syringe pump 24/7. I also feed FM gorgonian and dendro foods, cyclopleeze (frozen & dry), Elos SVC Plankton. I adjust things every week, but this diet seems to be working best so far so I am continuing with it.

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:02 PM   #89
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

How many ml do you dose into the tank every day? Also, got a link to where I can buy all those foods you listed?

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:30 PM   #90
uhuru
Registered Member

Moses,

I dose between 30-50 ml/day, right now I am dosing 30 ml. All of the liquid concentrates are purchased from reed mariculture/reef nutrition. I don't know if it's okay to post the link here, so if this gets edited you can just do a search:

http://www.reed-store.com/

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:42 PM   #91
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Moses,

I dose between 30-50 ml/day, right now I am dosing 30 ml. All of the liquid concentrates are purchased from reed mariculture/reef nutrition. I don't know if it's okay to post the link here, so if this gets edited you can just do a search:

http://www.reed-store.com/
WOW! The food is pricey!!

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:47 PM   #92
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

I live with my parents(I'm 16 years old) and I have a 180 gallon mixed reef. Because I live in a large family, we get discounts for the electricity, but soon we are not going to be getting the discounts because my brothers are turning 18 and the electricity is $120 right now and it will be $250 without the discount because of my lights, so, I might take off the lights, sell all the Photosynthetic corals and convert it to a Non-Photosynthetic tank.

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:52 PM   #93
uhuru
Registered Member

Good luck! But do your research (as you seem to be), and keep in mind...the cost of food for a 180g tank will easily cost more than your savings in electricity. I have a 150g tank that I'm hesitant to setup as an NPS tank simply because of the food costs. If you stick with the easier ones you might save money... but even sun corals are pigs

Not only that, but if you feed continuously you need to change the water more often. On a large tank, salt will start to get very expensive.

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:23 PM   #94
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Good luck! But do your research (as you seem to be), and keep in mind...the cost of food for a 180g tank will easily cost more than your savings in electricity. I have a 150g tank that I'm hesitant to setup as an NPS tank simply because of the food costs. If you stick with the easier ones you might save money... but even sun corals are pigs

Not only that, but if you feed continuously you need to change the water more often. On a large tank, salt will start to get very expensive.
Thanks! Yeah, I've done TONS of research. I'm going to grow most of the foods you are buying. Such as rotifers, phytoplankton, pods, ect. I can feed the sun corals/dendros with grocery bought shrimp for like $5 a lb instead of mysis which is $5 a pack. lol I go to the ocean once a month and collect about 55 gallons each time which I use for water changes. So, I'll also save tons on water changes. I also have a RO/DI unit, so I don't have to buy RO/DI water from the store. My total water volume on the 180 gallon is 300 or so gallons. 180 gallon DT + 65 display macro tank + 55 gallon fuge under the DT. lol

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:23 PM   #95
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Maybe I missed this, but do you have a skimmer on the tank?

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:35 PM   #96
uhuru
Registered Member

I would LOVE access to NSW. Oh man that would be nice. Sounds like a good plan Moses. Keep me updated.

For the skimmer I am running an ER RC80 externally behind the stand. Works great.

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:40 PM   #97
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
I would LOVE access to NSW. Oh man that would be nice. Sounds like a good plan Moses. Keep me updated.

For the skimmer I am running an ER RC80 externally behind the stand. Works great.
lol Yeah, California has the most nutrient rich waters in the world and I collect it. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Why did you put a skimmer? Your just skimming all the food back out. That is probably why you have to dose so much food.

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:41 PM   #98
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Also, you live in the states right? In Ohio, Columbus?

Unread 11/01/2009, 11:07 PM   #99
uhuru
Registered Member

Well, without a skimmer, the food will quickly pollute the tank, corals will shut down, unwanted pests will take over - and the tank will become a disaster. The other thing is, the aeration provided by a large skimmer will help a lot in a NPS tank. You don't HAVE to have a skimmer for anything, but it sure helps. Yup I live in Columbus! I'm from California though!

Unread 11/01/2009, 11:24 PM   #100
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Quote:
Well, without a skimmer, the food will quickly pollute the tank, corals will shut down, unwanted pests will take over - and the tank will become a disaster. The other thing is, the aeration provided by a large skimmer will help a lot in a NPS tank. You don't HAVE to have a skimmer for anything, but it sure helps. Yup I live in Columbus! I'm from California though!
You should add medias instead like Phostban, ect. lol Nice! Maybe once I start adding Non-Photosynthetic corals we can trade some time? Especially that black Dendronephthya that's overgrowing your tank.