Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2015, 07:00 PM   #1726
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Hello, I am thinking of picking up a Vertex Alpha 170 for my new build, it will have about 200g total volume, with a potentially med/heavy bioload, mostly LPS and some SPS.

Will the 170 suffice? Or should I look at a bigger skimmer?
If you go with an Alpha, the 170 will be the correct one for your tank size. A bigger Alpha will have too large of a neck diameter which will likely result in inconsistancy. You might want to look at the Bubble kings as well. A double cone 200 would be a better choice as it's a better skimmer overall.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 05:20 PM   #1727
aravindk
Registered Member

I always wonder if my 200 works to its full capacity. It takes few days to see skimmate being produced. Here is a video of the skimmer in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMPy4iMDyg

The skimmer was cleaned this morning so it looks super clean right now. But it takes about two to three days to see decent amount of skimmate.

The net water volume is about 225 gallons and have about 18 fish of which six of them large tangs. Feed them once a day. It is a light bioload I understand but I am still not sure if the skimmer is calibrated fine.

Can someone chime in?

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 11:56 PM   #1728
villain
Registered Member

Have you got the red PVC pipe fully into the injection-ring on skimmer? See picture :-)

Unread 04/13/2015, 02:14 PM   #1729
aravindk
Registered Member

Yes, I have the red tube inserted as shown.

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:22 PM   #1730
reefknight
Registered Member

Woke up to find that my Red Dragon 1500 pump had quit on my Alpha 200. It had been cleaned about 3 weeks ago so I didn't believe that was the issue, but soaked it all the same. Inspected all of the parts, no marks or wear or tear and reassembled. Still not working, I'm afraid that I may have a bad motor block.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to test to be sure? Also are just the motor blocks available, if so who can I contact? Anyone have an estimate, this comes at a bad time as I am out of work at the moment as well.

When it rains it pours!

Current Tank Info: DSA Neo 185gal - Coming Soon!
reefknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 10:34 PM   #1731
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefknight View Post
Woke up to find that my Red Dragon 1500 pump had quit on my Alpha 200. It had been cleaned about 3 weeks ago so I didn't believe that was the issue, but soaked it all the same. Inspected all of the parts, no marks or wear or tear and reassembled. Still not working, I'm afraid that I may have a bad motor block.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to test to be sure? Also are just the motor blocks available, if so who can I contact? Anyone have an estimate, this comes at a bad time as I am out of work at the moment as well.

When it rains it pours!
You have a couple choices. Email Royal Exclusiv USA. Premium Aquatics may also be able to help but they too would have to contact RE and I am not sure if they are still handling parts for the RE made Vertex skimmers. Another alternative is to get yourself either the older Laguna Max-flo 1500 pond pump if you can find one or the newer Laguna 1350 pond pump which is easily found with a quick google search. The pump inside the Max-flow 1500 has the Laguna/Askoll motor block as the RD1500. The 1500 is essentially the same block as your Red Dragon 1500 only with a longer power cord. The 1350 is essentially the same block but a newer model. The volute mount and impelller can be directly swapped onto the 1350 block. The swap is to the Laguna block is simple. You the Laguna block from the Max-flo body, remove the volute and impeller and the nuts on the back side of the new pump. The nuts just push out. Install the RD1500 impeller and volute. Remove the plastic base from your RD1500 by prying it off with a screw driver. Glue or epoxy it to the new pump and connect it to your skimmer. Other than letting the epoxy dry, the entire process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Just one thing you should however check. Make sure to double check your impeller to make sure your magnet isn't spinning on the shaft. That could produce a similar symptom.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 05/01/2015 at 10:40 PM.
Unread 05/02/2015, 08:11 AM   #1732
reefknight
Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll check the impeller here shortly to rule that out. I was so ticked yesterday that I wasn't thinking well. As a temporary solution I can use my return pump (ATB Flowstar 1500). I just need to come up with a substitute return in the mean time. My older Eheim 1262 I just don't believe pushes enough due to the plumbing and the additional media canisters that I have inline. So I'll need to find a replacement.

Unread 05/02/2015, 09:05 AM   #1733
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefknight View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll check the impeller here shortly to rule that out. I was so ticked yesterday that I wasn't thinking well. As a temporary solution I can use my return pump (ATB Flowstar 1500). I just need to come up with a substitute return in the mean time. My older Eheim 1262 I just don't believe pushes enough due to the plumbing and the additional media canisters that I have inline. So I'll need to find a replacement.
That Flowstar is the same block as the RD1500 and the Askoll 1500 so that is a very good option. For an alternate return pump option, the Fluval SP4 would be comparable to the FLowstar 1500 in terms of flow, noise and efficiiency. It is also based on the Askoll block and comes with a very good warranty.

Unread 05/03/2015, 11:12 AM   #1734
reefknight
Registered Member

Pulled the both pumps last night. Re inspected the impeller, no problems with it. Did a quick cleaning in the ATB, dropped the impeller in and plugged it in and impeller was spinning no issue. With the RD it would just sit there, little bit of resistance, and then nothing. Guess that's it for the old girl, lol!

Unread 05/04/2015, 04:59 PM   #1735
taxman95
Registered Member

Red Dragon 1500 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You have a couple choices. Email Royal Exclusiv USA. Premium Aquatics may also be able to help but they too would have to contact RE and I am not sure if they are still handling parts for the RE made Vertex skimmers. Another alternative is to get yourself either the older Laguna Max-flo 1500 pond pump if you can find one or the newer Laguna 1350 pond pump which is easily found with a quick google search. The pump inside the Max-flow 1500 has the Laguna/Askoll motor block as the RD1500. The 1500 is essentially the same block as your Red Dragon 1500 only with a longer power cord. The 1350 is essentially the same block but a newer model. The volute mount and impelller can be directly swapped onto the 1350 block. The swap is to the Laguna block is simple. You the Laguna block from the Max-flo body, remove the volute and impeller and the nuts on the back side of the new pump. The nuts just push out. Install the RD1500 impeller and volute. Remove the plastic base from your RD1500 by prying it off with a screw driver. Glue or epoxy it to the new pump and connect it to your skimmer. Other than letting the epoxy dry, the entire process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Just one thing you should however check. Make sure to double check your impeller to make sure your magnet isn't spinning on the shaft. That could produce a similar symptom.
I'm also having a problem with one of my pumps. It had been working fine. I did a cleaning of all my powerheads etc a month ago including the Red Dragon's. A bout a week later one of them stopped working. I took it apart again last night and I don't see any issue with the impeller. When I plug it in it looks like it will start for a second then stops. You can feel it trying to run for about a minute after which it is totally dead. Even with the cover off and trying to give the impeller a push to start nothing happens. Does this indicate the motor is dead or is there something else I should try?

taxman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 06:45 PM   #1736
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman95 View Post
I'm also having a problem with one of my pumps. It had been working fine. I did a cleaning of all my powerheads etc a month ago including the Red Dragon's. A bout a week later one of them stopped working. I took it apart again last night and I don't see any issue with the impeller. When I plug it in it looks like it will start for a second then stops. You can feel it trying to run for about a minute after which it is totally dead. Even with the cover off and trying to give the impeller a push to start nothing happens. Does this indicate the motor is dead or is there something else I should try?
Pull it apart again and check the bearing to make sure it's not stuck to the impeller shaft and that it's inserted properly into the motor block. The bearing goes in the motor block first and needs to be seated properly with the o-ring fitting into a channel in the hole that the bearing goes into. If you don't know what I am talking about, take a look at one of the Bubble King skimmer manuals.. It's covered under maintenance.

Unread 05/05/2015, 06:26 PM   #1737
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk View Post
I always wonder if my 200 works to its full capacity. It takes few days to see skimmate being produced. Here is a video of the skimmer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMPy4iMDyg The skimmer was cleaned this morning so it looks super clean right now. But it takes about two to three days to see decent amount of skimmate. The net water volume is about 225 gallons and have about 18 fish of which six of them large tangs. Feed them once a day. It is a light bioload I understand but I am still not sure if the skimmer is calibrated fine. Can someone chime in?
That's weird I have zero bubbles out of the output.

http://youtu.be/ee96cQ_IDNU

I have 4 fish in a 150 gallon tank so not an equal comparison, but maybe a reference point

AdamSabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 07:18 PM   #1738
aravindk
Registered Member

I am always puzzled with the amount of micro bubbes it puts out. This is how it has always been. Not sure if it is a setup issue.

Unread 05/05/2015, 07:56 PM   #1739
taxman95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Pull it apart again and check the bearing to make sure it's not stuck to the impeller shaft and that it's inserted properly into the motor block. The bearing goes in the motor block first and needs to be seated properly with the o-ring fitting into a channel in the hole that the bearing goes into. If you don't know what I am talking about, take a look at one of the Bubble King skimmer manuals.. It's covered under maintenance.
Thanks. It looks like the bearing is properly in place and it is not on the shaft of the impeller. Should I just leave it where it is or take it out to clean it?

Also noted the manual mentions using a deliming agent. I had soaked it in diluted vinegar. Would buying some deliming agent help? I have some CLR2 but not sure I want to use that on something going into the aquarium system

taxman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 09:02 PM   #1740
kelp47
Registered Member

I have an Alpha 170. After a short overnight trip, I came home to a very noisy skimmer and immediately turned it off. When I took it the pump apart, I found this (below). There was a snail shell wedged in it, and you can see a few of the pegs are broken off. I have removed the one loose peg that was still hanging on, put it back together, and it's now running again fine. But I know I need to replace this piece as soon as possible. The label on the side of the pump says "Red Dragon BK Vertex 1000." Where is the best place to get a replacement piece? I looked on the Royal Exclusive site, and I'm not sure I'm finding the right piece... the closest I see is around $200, so I hope that's not it. There is website (prolineaquatics.com) listed on the pump, but the site is under construction. I plan to email them, but thought I'd check in with you all, too. Thanks!

75 gal mixed reef
kelp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 09:50 PM   #1741
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
I am always puzzled with the amount of micro bubbes it puts out. This is how it has always been. Not sure if it is a setup issue.
What is your water depth?

Unread 05/05/2015, 10:47 PM   #1742
moondoggy4
Registered Member

kelp47 check out Aquatic Warehouse they are in Kearney Mesa San Diego they are a LFS but have carried the Alpha line skimmers so they may have parts.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 11:13 PM   #1743
kelp47
Registered Member

Thanks, Moondoggy. I'll check on it in the morning!

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 05/06/2015, 05:49 AM   #1744
aravindk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSabina View Post
What is your water depth?
It is 9"

Unread 05/06/2015, 08:03 AM   #1745
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
It is 9"
That's weird mine is in eight. So your not too shallow... I don't know.

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:15 PM   #1746
Blueline12
Registered Member

I've had to replace my RD in my Alpha 200 with the Laguna 1350 and it worked great for the first couple of weeks until I had to turn it off to clean the tank.

For the past few weeks I have had serious overflow issues. So much so I had to reduce the depth by 4" or more. I also get a ton of micro bubbles out of the output. At this level I can get a really wet ski mate but it fills up fast as if all of a sudden it wants to overflow about once a day.

I've got the air inlet wide open. What could be the issue. I've taken it out and cleaned a few times. Maybe the gasket on the inside of the pump needs replacing? I can't think of anything else.

Any help is appreciated.

Blueline12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 06:23 PM   #1747
prodhhan
Registered Member

I need replacement impeller for vertex alpha 200 skimmer

Hello.

I am Korean. (south)
I have vertex alpha 200 skimmer.

but I was cleaning my pump today. when I slipped the impeller and broke off some of the pins.

I need replacement impeller for my skimmer (vertex alpha 200)

The motor block label is

"Red Dragon"
"BK Vertex 1500"
"Special-pump for vertex alpha 200"

Please let me know that where can I buy the impeller.

thanks....

prodhhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2015, 07:26 PM   #1748
kelp47
Registered Member

Prodhhan, the maker of the pump referred me to Aquarium Specialty first, and AquaCave as an alternative. But I found better prices at Premium Aquatics. So you might check out these three.

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 06/16/2015, 10:24 PM   #1749
prodhhan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelp47 View Post
Prodhhan, the maker of the pump referred me to Aquarium Specialty first, and AquaCave as an alternative. But I found better prices at Premium Aquatics. So you might check out these three.
Thanks..

prodhhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2015, 04:00 AM   #1750
LittleBurger
Registered Member

I'm from Singapore. Have an impeller from a mini red dragon 1200 after my motor block died. Had since use the 2015 reef Octo dc 5500 skimmer pump.
If u think

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.
Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Current Tank Info: 3ft by 3ft crystal glass on 3sides

Last edited by LittleBurger; 06/20/2015 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Check
LittleBurger is offline   Reply With Quote