Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Alexraptor
Registered Member

"What Was Old Is New Again" 10g Tank

Long story short: A couple of my old tanks were getting kind of crowded, so I ended up pulling out a bunch of rocks from them and throwing them all into an empty 10 gallon tank I had standing around.

The end result was this:

Here's some specs for the technophiles among us!
  • 2x BLAU Nano Led lights, Marine & Freshwater versions.
    Freshwater: 19x 6500K White & 2x Red 0.5w LED's
    Marine: 14x 15000K White & 7x Royal Blue 0.5w LED's
  • Hydor Koralia Nano 900 Stream Pump
  • Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer

I'm feeling a little nostalgic as the Prizm skimmer, while not fantastic, was my very first when I entered the hobby over 11 years ago. Running carbon in the media basket and also have a small bag of Rowaphos slung over the intake tube, hanging in the water, as one of the rocks is leaching a fair amount of phosphates at the moment.

The lights are particular fun story. I originally got the BLAU Nano LED freshwater version with 6500k lights for my refugium but it didn't really work out so I dug it out and threw it on this tank when I set it up. Wasn't entirely happy with the amount of light I was getting, so I bought the Marine version as well to throw on alongside, just for the heck of it.
Here's a fun little picture series of them:

The lights.

Tank shot with both lights.

Freshwater light only.

Marine light only.

And finally for the obligatory lightshow, just the Royal Blues!

Now I think it's time for a little stock inventory.
  • Pink Actinodiscus Mushrooms
  • Red Rhodactis Mushrooms
  • Orange and Brown Zoas
  • Blue and Brown Zoas
  • Yellow & Green Monti Digita
  • Green Monti Cap
  • Brown & Green Acropora
  • Green Star Polyps
  • 3x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits
  • Random Brittlestars, Asterinas, Bristleworms and at least 3 varieties of Hydroids.

The Acropora frag was a bit of an unexpected addition. It was heavily and completely infested with Zanclea Hydroids, but since polyp extension was good and all I didn't want to just destroy the fragment. So I figure I'd just toss it in here, away from my SPS reef and see how it goes.

Right now the tank is Bare-Bottom with some frags scattered accross it, but I'm not a fan. So I've ordered a bag of the same 0.1-0.5mm grain Live Sand that I use in the rest of my reefs to fill in between the rocks with. Awesome part with this is that with the rocks already in place, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever of the reef structure ever being undermined!

So yeah, taking "old" rocks and corals to set up a "new" tank.

Alexraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 09:01 AM   #2
mjstech
Registered Member

That looks awesome. Looks like it's been setup for a long time with all your extras/frags. I noticed your hob filter isn't on some of the later pics...is it just for water scrubs? How are you going to add live sand with all the corals in the tank? (No sandstorm). The top trim is cut in back.. I know its only 9g water volume or so and there are a ton of rimless tanks now but is that any concern? Do you have a surface slime on the water or is the power head moving enough?

mjstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Alexraptor
Registered Member

Thanks.
Actually the later pics are older pics lol, the top one was the more recent one, and its a HOB skimmer.

Ended up having a major complication the last couple of days, the 10 gal started leaking, first drip and then drip drip drip.
So as a result the 10g has now become a 16g. I also poured in a bag of Natures Ocean live sand, 0.1-0.5mm, and it did get a bit... messy.

Corals are doing just peachy though, and are pretty good at ridding themselves of the sand dust.
I do hope the light is enough, I tried to arrange things as they were to the best of my ability, but this tank is about 2cm taller than the 10g.

The rim is of no concern, each section is a seperate piece and their only real function is to support the cover glass, so they don't provide any kind of structural support at all.
So far I've not been having problems with surface scum, but with a new tank I might try to get a slightly more powerful pump.

Unread 06/20/2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Alexraptor
Registered Member

There we go, cleared up nicely.

But yeah... not a 10g anymore. :P

Unread 06/21/2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Devaji108
Registered Member

nice little tank you have there bud.
when you need to get rid of some of those red mushrooms let me know.
i know they grow like crazy eh..

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Alexraptor
Registered Member

I think shipping them overseas is a little extreme.
But yeah, I've gotten to the point where I've started dumping floaters in my reef tanks refugium en masse! And to think the pink ones started out from just a single polyp!!!