Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2011, 06:40 PM   #1
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

Post My Nano Reef Build Diary

Hi, Since I am now making some progress with my Nano Reef, I have started this "build diary" to document the various stages I am going through. This thread will tell you about me & my previous fish keeping experience along with how Im doing with my Nano.

-----------------------------------------
About me & my previous experience.
-----------------------------------------

I am 24 years old & from London, England. I have always been interested in aquariums & remember buying my 1st goldfish from the local supermarket when i was about 4yrs old.

At the age of 13 I got my first tropical aquarium as a birthday present in which I kept guppies, tetras & gourami's. A short while after I had the tank set up my dad got into the hobby & bought a large tank in which he housed & successfully bred discus.

After a while we got bored with our tropical tanks & almost every time we visited our LFS we found ourself being drawn to the marine section so we decided to set up our first reef tanks.

After safely rehousing our tropical stock, we both went out & purchased the equipment needed to convert our tanks to saltwater & since that day we have both been hooked on the hobby.

Just over a year ago we moved house & almost immediately I set up a 200L corner reef tank, which housed a few corals & some fish. I have recently decided this tank is just too large for me & I can't keep up with the maintenance so I have decided to get rid & set up a nano reef. The fish are going to my dad as he has a large enough tank to house them & I didn't really want to get rid of them. Here is a picture of my corner reef taken just before I started dismantling it.

------------------------------------------------------
My Nano Reef (18x18x18" Braceless Cube Tank)
------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so after doing much research & asking various questions (alot of them on this forum, so thanks to those who have helped) I have decided I want a 18x18x18" Cube Reef Tank with a Sump & Chiller. After some planning I come up with this sketch of what I want.

The top section of the unit will house the sump & the bottom section will house the chiller. I already have a small Teco chiller that I bought for my previous tank.

After deciding where & what size I wanted everything I finally got around to ordering my tank yesterday, more to follow on that once it arrives. The next job I decided on was sorting the sump so with some help I come up with these plans...

I am going to try & make things as close to these plans as possible but will make alterations where needed so I get the best results I can.

-------------------------------
Stage 1 - Making The Sump
-------------------------------

Well this afternoon me & my dad started putting together my sump. It had to be a certain size so we decided to fabricate it ourselfs. I had an old 4ft clear-seal tank doing nothing so we cut the silicone away & gently knocked the glass apart using a block of wood & a hammer. We then cut the glass down to the size & smoothed the edges before siliconing it all together, once it's dry tommorow I will silicone in the baffles but here's what I have so far,

Its not very interesting I know, but it's a start. I will update this thread whenever I make some progress on the tank & if I write in blue when i make some progress then you will know when I have posted.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Mark

MarkSurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 02:49 PM   #2
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

---------------
Small Update
---------------

Today I visited my LFS & got myself the following bits...

•A Tunze Osmilator (auto top-up) Unit

•A Used Tunze Nano Skimmer (not sure what model, the one with the bubble trap)

I didn't collect them though, i just reserved them until my fish tank arrives. Then this afternoon I went out with my dad & got myself...

•A Single 150w Aqua Medic Halide

I will upload a picture of this tomorrow as I haven't took one yet but it's going to be perfect as it's 19" long so will sit 0.5" over the tank either side. I didnt manage to do anything else to the sump though as I was out most the day so that's still in the stage above.

That's it for now guys but it's a bit more.

Thanks. Mark

Unread 07/21/2011, 12:43 PM   #3
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

--------
Update
--------

Here's a picture of the light I bought yesterday, I suspeded it over one of my dads tanks to see how it looks & I'm really pleased with it, the light output is great for 150w..I will have to sort something out for a moonlight as it dont have one but I haven't planned that far ahead yet.

Unread 07/22/2011, 11:38 AM   #4
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

--------
Update
--------

Today I picked up my Tunze Osmilator, Im really happy with it as I payed a great price & managed to get the Calcium Dispenser thingy thrown in with the deal aswell, I have already checked it & it all works perfectly + the control box looks brand new & the rest of it just needs a good clean. Here's what I got...

And when I got home this afternoon I removed the clamps from my sump & I cut down some tank strips & glued them in place, this will prevent any sharp edges & it just finishes it off nicely, I decided not to do the baffles until I pick up my skimmer though..Heres a pic of how it looks.

By the way guys, Please feel free to leave a comment, Thanks

Unread 07/22/2011, 12:01 PM   #5
ange062
Registered Member

Looks like you are making good progress!

One suggestion though, ditch the big blue font, it's hard to read

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2011, 01:12 PM   #6
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

Haha, Sorry but i cant do that, I'm only writing my updates in it so that they don't get lost amongst the other posts.

Unread 07/22/2011, 03:31 PM   #7
MarkSurrey
Registered Member

--------
Update
--------

After seeing the actual size of the sump my plan was unrealistic & impratical so I am going to do it like this now instead, Will be siliconing the baffles in Tommorow morning now I know where to put them but here's the new sump plan...

Tags
build, cube, diary, nano, reef