Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/16/2006, 12:46 AM   #901
jrandreassen
Registered Member

"Super-Green"...
I'm a bit of a tree-hugger myself, but it's more about efficiency.
I love a clever mechanical solution to a technical problem....

Maybe it will work.
JR

Unread 12/16/2006, 12:59 AM   #902
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Hey JR,

Check out my pics on page 31. I have vaulted ceilings and is 60'' above the water surface. I brought 3 x 10" tubes down to about 6" above the surface on my 4' x 20" x 18".

Rod.

Unread 12/16/2006, 01:11 AM   #903
jrandreassen
Registered Member

Hi Rod...
I LIKE IT...

I might be able to work something like that...
The only problem is the living room is white walls,
Limestone and some not so nice orange painted wood.
(Might have to change that) Anyways, it might be doabe...
Thanks
JR

Unread 12/16/2006, 02:50 AM   #904
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Thanks JR,

You can get the HIP sheets in white too. Might help.

Rod.

Unread 12/16/2006, 02:51 AM   #905
hahnmeister
Moved On

Yeah, if you just painted the tubes the same color as the wall behind, I think they would blend right in... better than a canopy or fixture at least... thats for sure.

Unread 12/16/2006, 09:58 AM   #906
jrandreassen
Registered Member

Hmmm....
These things might be doable...
I'll have to find a way to work them in to the discussion.
I'll show her the pictures of your "Tube covers"...

The painting would work, but I'm a little painting averse.
JR

Unread 12/24/2006, 10:51 AM   #907
Reefski's
Registered Member

i will be building a skylight shaft over my new tank and lining it with one of these products.

http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

up to 97% reflective. some of the best reflectors are made from this.

Carl

Unread 12/25/2006, 07:38 AM   #908
jrandreassen
Registered Member

That looks intresting.
What are you doing for the collector on top ??
JR

Unread 12/25/2006, 08:34 AM   #909
Reefski's
Registered Member

for my skylight the city demands a skylight with all the right approvals for safety, etc. so i am using a 4x8 single glazed clear acrylic skylight. it will be an opening model so it may be open much of the time.

Carl

Unread 12/25/2006, 09:39 AM   #910
jrandreassen
Registered Member

I take it that your roof is oriented towards the afternoon sun??
Or are you empoying reflectors ??
Just wondering, not criticizing
JR

Unread 12/25/2006, 10:31 AM   #911
Scuba_Dave
EMERTXE YID

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod the Roofer
Hey JR,

Check out my pics on page 31. I have vaulted ceilings and is 60'' above the water surface. I brought 3 x 10" tubes down to about 6" above the surface on my 4' x 20" x 18".
Rod.
I'm glad I checked back in on this thread
Rod, That's a great idea on the skylight. I have an 8' 325g tank & was considering putting in 3 solar tubes
But I didn't like the idea of (3) domes on the roof

I think the idea of 1-2 skylights that are used for the tubes a much better idea. I haven't even started building the addition that will house the tank

Really glad a "salesman" started this thread
Geez, what a comment

Unread 12/25/2006, 11:30 AM   #912
jrandreassen
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]
Really glad a "salesman" started this thread
Geez, what a comment [/B]
Indeed....
Who care's as long as it works...
JR

Unread 12/25/2006, 11:38 AM   #913
Barto
Alleged Lounge Moron

Dave,
How did you escape from the lounge?
Did someone leave the secret door to the 5th floor unlocked

AUGUST 2009 TOTM!

Current Tank Info: no more fish tanks, nothing, nada, gone!
Unread 01/20/2007, 12:38 PM   #914
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Updated Pics

Well, the sun is now at its lowest angle, and starting to head back up. Still get some natural light of which is very evident by my hammers, frogspawn and anemone. When the sun comes up, they really extend for the UV..

Here are some pics. I still believe in the Solartube/T5 combo..

Later,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
Unread 01/20/2007, 12:42 PM   #915
ReefBuddha
Registered Member

Reefkeepers are responsible for so much wasted energy.

in an industry that is far from sustainable and eats up much more energy and resources than it produces, its nice to see someone trying to reduce their impact. kudos!

Unread 01/20/2007, 08:11 PM   #916
tariqchaudhry
Registered Member

Jim,
Your tank looks awesome. I am glad you are having great results with the Solatube.
We are getting ready to build our home in Florida and I will be using Solatubes for my 300G tank. I am all for conservation and will do everything possible to minimize the impact on the natural resources.
Any suggestions for the size of Solatube for a tank size 72x24Hx30D? How high up from the tank surface and the use of UV shields etc.
I would appreciate your input.

Unread 01/20/2007, 08:39 PM   #917
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tariqchaudhry
Jim,
Your tank looks awesome. I am glad you are having great results with the Solatube.
We are getting ready to build our home in Florida and I will be using Solatubes for my 300G tank. I am all for conservation and will do everything possible to minimize the impact on the natural resources.
Any suggestions for the size of Solatube for a tank size 72x24Hx30D? How high up from the tank surface and the use of UV shields etc.
Thanks! I've got (02) 10" Gordan Tubular Skylights (Home Depot Special) on my 90, with (04) 54 Watt T5's as supplimental light, and to get that 14 K look I really like...

About 3 months ago, I removed the "Dome" that came with my tubes and replaced it with Non-UV inhibiting Plexiglass... I believe my SPS and softies have benefited from removing the dome. I am not certain you really will need any UV inhibitors for your setup as well... Just my opinion

Assuming you can work with the larger tubes with your trusses etc, I would look at using the 18" tubes and probably no less than 3 spaced evenly at 18"-36"- 54"

My tubes come within 1 foot of my water surface and spread approximately 2 feet when the sun is really shining, so I get great coverage with the (02) 10" tubes on my 90...

Look forward to seeign some pics of your seup in the coming months.

Later,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
Unread 01/20/2007, 08:43 PM   #918
Scuba_Dave
EMERTXE YID

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefBuddha
Reefkeepers are responsible for so much wasted energy.
You should see Christmas display then if you think a tank is a waste of energy

Unread 01/20/2007, 11:52 PM   #919
jrandreassen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tariqchaudhry
Jim,
I've got a 60x36hx30W and will be using 2x21" down to about 2' from the surface (That's poking down about 3' down from a vaulted ceiling).
"Rod the Roofer" in Australia has a config like that(a few pages back) and it looks nice.
Depending on your tank config, I'd either use 3x21" or the 18" depending what works with your attic/tank config.
JR

Unread 01/22/2007, 06:55 PM   #920
wvt9527
Registered Member

Ok I have read a little bit of this thread. Everything I have read so far sounds like this is the way to go. The things I am wondering about is do the solartubes cause more algae growth, has anyone notice an increase in water temperature. The final thing is the cost of all of it.
Walter

Unread 01/22/2007, 07:14 PM   #921
Barto
Alleged Lounge Moron

I have also wondered about the cost comparison.
I'd have to think that with the price of MH fixtures and bulbs that need regular replacement and the whirring of the elect meter when the MH's are running, it should be a long term cost savings and if you are able to install the sola tubes yourself, in the short term it would be pretty close in terms of the up front costs. Add an installation contractor into the cost equasion and any up front savings go out the window or up the hole in the roof.

Now that I've speculated, has anyone crunched the numbers?
Thanks,
Bart

AUGUST 2009 TOTM!

Current Tank Info: no more fish tanks, nothing, nada, gone!
Unread 01/23/2007, 12:12 AM   #922
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Hi Walter,

Solatubes do not cause algal growth. Problem algae needs two things to survive, nutrient and light. If you take away one it simply can't live.

I have seen successfull tanks in glass houses and in windows of houses. (Where temp. may be an issue) Control the nutrient and you will control the algae.

Also Solatubes do not increase the water temperature. As stated earlier in this thead, if you put your hand under the tube the heat is negligible. If you put your hand under a Mh you need to be carefull as you can give yourself a nasty burn!

Hi Bart,

IMO it's not a question of comparing the cost of Mh's vs. Solatubes. I believe both are required (Mh's supplimenting the tubes or tubes supplimenting the Mh's) I know in my case and others that I know the tubes were not enough on thier own and had to be supplimented with artificial light. Having said that, I believe the installation of any form of natural lighting over your tank is a very beneficial thing. You wont believe the natural dawn, the moon light is awesome and the extra light is simply stunning!! (My tubes hve been compared with 1000w Mh's)

Rod.

Unread 01/23/2007, 12:39 AM   #923
hahnmeister
Moved On

Considering the sola-tubes are designed as a DIY kit, their cost is minimal... its the $120-250 cost of the tube (10"-22"). Now, the cost of a halide is much more per unit (for the sake of the argument, well say that a single sola-tube is capable of replacing a 250watt-400watt halide), and the long term costs are where the sola-tubes really pay off.

At $.10/kwh, a 250wattDE light, which runs over 300watts mind you, 8 hours per day, 365 days a year... thats 876kw, or $88 a year, per 250watt bulb. Lets say you have two, and they are 400s.... thats about 450 wattsx2, for a total of $262 per year.

So the electric alone can pay for itself within the year.

I also dont believe in using halides with the solatubes. Even in Chicago, a natural lit 1500g gets enough light in winter for the corals to grow just fine. The only suppliment, if anything, is an array of almost 30 54wattT5 tubes sporting actinic and blue+ bulbs. I think that this is a much better supplimentation than halide, as it has just blue/purple in the output, and doesnt add all the daylight spectrums that even the bluest halides still have in their output.

Unread 01/23/2007, 06:09 PM   #924
wvt9527
Registered Member

Thanks Rod & hahnmeister for your input.
The thing I am most concern about is the up front cost.
I am planning on remodeling my house at the end of the summer & I was wondering about how much the cost of everything would be.
I do plan on DIY with the tubes.

Unread 01/23/2007, 07:14 PM   #925
hahnmeister
Moved On

One thing to keep in min is that if you are looking at more than 3 tubes, a skylight might make more sense. Considering the cost of one large Velux can be less than 2 or 3 sola-tubes, you might come out ahead by using a skylight and then making a shaft for it lined with aluminum.

Also, I did a special order with Velux for this on a skylight series. They can make regular glass skylights... non Lo-E, to let more light through. They are cheaper than regular skylights even, and just as strong. Sorry, no Starphire glass though...lol. If you want even more clarity, you are going to have to use plexi/acrylic skylights.

Closed Thread