Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2012, 04:11 PM   #1226
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
i have always turn off my skimmers when i clean the cup and prefer to do it that way. although i never had any problems with any of them, it seems like the Red Dragon is more finicky which is why i want to make sure since i usually clean the cup once every 2 days.

i was reading something about the bypass yesterday and i think all it does is bring water inside to the impeller assembly to cool it to preven calcium precipitation since calcium precipitates on warmer surfaces. i guess the output where it is attached to is venturi driven where the water flowing out of the pump also sucks water through the impeller compartment.

as for the white volute, the v2 160 version never got a white volute. i think for the 160, they were able to raise the air draw from 400 to 600 lph just by improving the impeller and venturi without having to go to a bigger white volute.
Thanks a lot for clarifying
Let the skimming begin

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2012, 12:07 AM   #1227
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
yes, i knew about the limit line. i wasn't trying to follow it but i am using bio pellets and it seems to make the foammate very foamy. when i tried to go past above the line limit, all i get is water. as low as i have it now, the skimmate is still a bit clear. but i think it might still be breaking in so i will see how it goes.
Remember your tank is only 57G too. Mine is a 50G and this skimmer is a beast. I had to set mine to skim fairly dry and clean the riser tube every couple of days. I have since added a Swabbie and can skimmer a little wetter now.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2012, 01:48 AM   #1228
Eauturquoise
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Tagging along with my BBK 180 Mini :

@+
Laurent

Eauturquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2012, 10:16 AM   #1229
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Looking good Laurent I like your sump layout.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 06:32 AM   #1230
BrettH
Registered Member

Sump Depth Range?

Jeremey (or anyone else who is running a Supermarin 200), do you know if there is any reason why we can't run the sump depth at 6.5" inches in teh skimmer section? I've been experimenting with various depths between 6.5" and 8" and it seems to work fine. The Red Dragon pump is slightly exposed, so maybe that is an issue? But I think you can run these pumps external if you want to? The reason I am asking is that I am going to be building my custom sump soon and want to determine the optimal height to set the baffles. You really need baffles with this skimmer!!

By the way, I am loving my BK SM 200. I'll try and post some pics later. Thanks Jeremy for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers
Brett

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 07:55 AM   #1231
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Hi Brett, as long as the pump is not sucking air and cavitating then you'll be just fine. Obviously you want it to only suck air through the venturi, not the inlet of the pump. In my opinion though I would set the baffles to 8+ inches, then you can always raise the skimmer up some to your desired height. If you set them to 6.5" then you're stuck at that point if you ever want to go deeper.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 09:08 AM   #1232
BrettH
Registered Member

Thanks Jeremy.

My plan is to set the baffles at 7". I am assuming that since I'll be pushing1500 gph through the sump (dimensions 33x24x16) the actual level will be higher then the baffles. How much higher I don't know. I know in my DT, it increased the height by about an 1". Couple that unknown with the idea of trying to maxmize the overflow capacity of the sump and I have to be careful not to over shoot my baffle height too, otherwise I won't have enough overflow capacity. I have three tanks (fuge, prop, and DT all flowing back to this sump, all with check valves). And it will be close. I could make the sump taller, but that creates some minor issues with skimmer collection cup drain which is just above 16". A minor problem/design consideration that can be addressed . I might just use a small bulkhead below the rim of the sump and connect the skimmer cup drain to it.

Thanks again for the feed back Jeremey!

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 11:39 AM   #1233
bayoupr
Registered Member

I had my baffles set at 9" and the level ran at 9.5". My new sump has the baffles at 10" and it is running at 10.5". Both sumps were moving 800-1000g per hour. Seems like you would run at 7.5" to me. My 200 is running in 8.5" of water. I tried it at 6.5, 7, 7.5 and 8. Both 8&8.5 worked the best for me.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2012, 07:44 PM   #1234
docwells
Registered Member

Does anyone know where you can order a replacement pump for a BK Mini 160 Gen1? My motor seems to be dying. I found my skimmer off yesterday. I took it down and cleaned it completely. I found no blockages or reasons it should be off. I restarted it and it was making a surge up and down sound. Then it shut off. Then it would restart then cut off. I tried it in different electrical outlets and got same response.

So today, I took it apart again. Found no problems with it. Got it in sump and restarted it. It turned on for about 10 seconds then turned off. It repeated this cycle a couple of times then stopped.

Since I bought this when they originally became available, I figured it might have lived it's lifespan.
Question is where can I get a pump replacement? I don't want to throw away this skimmer. It has been a work horse.

Current Tank Info: 69 gallon AGE rimless starphire tank in progress...
docwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2012, 07:50 PM   #1235
apt220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauturquoise View Post
Hi everyone,

Tagging along with my BBK 180 Mini :

@+
Laurent
Laurent, how did you take the top part of the riser tube off? I've been trying to pull mine off, but it seems like it is glued.

apt220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2012, 10:22 AM   #1236
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells View Post
Does anyone know where you can order a replacement pump for a BK Mini 160 Gen1? My motor seems to be dying. I found my skimmer off yesterday. I took it down and cleaned it completely. I found no blockages or reasons it should be off. I restarted it and it was making a surge up and down sound. Then it shut off. Then it would restart then cut off. I tried it in different electrical outlets and got same response.

So today, I took it apart again. Found no problems with it. Got it in sump and restarted it. It turned on for about 10 seconds then turned off. It repeated this cycle a couple of times then stopped.

Since I bought this when they originally became available, I figured it might have lived it's lifespan.
Question is where can I get a pump replacement? I don't want to throw away this skimmer. It has been a work horse.

We have a motorblock available. Give me a call if you need it, 317-895-9005.

Unread 07/06/2012, 02:03 AM   #1237
flipteg
Registered Member

has anyone else experience the white part of the collection cup staining? i've had my Mini 160 for a couple of weeks now. the longest i've gone between cup cleanings is 4 days. i usually get it cleaned every 2 or 3 days. the white part of the cup where the skimmate sits and makes contact has discolored to a dark greenish gray. i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. i do not dose anything except for 2 parts. i do not run GFO either.

flipteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2012, 05:40 AM   #1238
apt220

I also noticed that after the first day of use. I thought that it was from carbon dust that got skimmed out but I don't know. I wasn't running any other media at that time.

Unread 07/06/2012, 05:43 AM   #1239
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Me too....noticed that on the first day...
It's like the base picked up the stain of the skimmate. Was it designed to be like that?

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Unread 07/06/2012, 01:35 PM   #1240
flipteg
Registered Member

i wanted to add that i also do not use carbon (GAC)

Unread 07/06/2012, 01:53 PM   #1241
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Yes, it will eventually stain in there unless you try cleaning it with some really strong cleaning solution that might take it off?

Unread 07/06/2012, 11:52 PM   #1242
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

It's a fish poop concentrator, get over it.

jeffreylesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 12:00 AM   #1243
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylesser View Post
Very true...
So it's a "Fish Potty" and we clean it...ahh another sacrifice we make for our hobby

Unread 07/07/2012, 12:11 AM   #1244
apt220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylesser View Post
We are just talking about our observations. If you don't like it, get over it by unsubscribing.

Unread 07/07/2012, 01:25 AM   #1245
Eauturquoise
Registered Member

Quote:
the longest i've gone between cup cleanings is 4 days. i usually get it cleaned every 2 or 3 days.
Hello !

That's weird. I clean my cup every week (BBK 180)
Since 2 weeks I'm making a test and I don't clean the cup - because it was never full in one week

I think you are very over the "water limit"

more you are upper water level and more it will skim

Eauturquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 04:53 AM   #1246
flipteg
Registered Member

hi, 4 days is not even close to a full cup for my setting. the only reason i clean it that often is to get rid of the build up on the neck.

the discoloration is obviously not a problem. it was just an observation since i never had a skimmer with a cup made out of PVC instead of acrylic. i just wanted to make sure that it is normal and that there is nothing in my water that might degrade the equipment over time.

Unread 07/07/2012, 11:27 AM   #1247
peppe7577
Registered Member

BK double cone 200

hello guys,
I am the happy owner of this skimmer which I think is fabulous. but I know it's too big for my tank. I'm using it for 4 months doing dry work. I only see some small clearing on 2 or 3 lps, sps's are fine. Lately I've been increasing the supply of both fish and corals to make water not too lean. I have all zero values​​. are willing to sell and to buy the skimz sk181. I know that there is no comparison between the two skimmers, what do you recommend? to sell it or keep it dry making it work?
If i sell it wich one you suggest to me?

here's a video of how I do it work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OkvoVji-o

peppe7577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 03:10 PM   #1248
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppe7577 View Post
hello guys,
I am the happy owner of this skimmer which I think is fabulous. but I know it's too big for my tank. I'm using it for 4 months doing dry work. I only see some small clearing on 2 or 3 lps, sps's are fine. Lately I've been increasing the supply of both fish and corals to make water not too lean. I have all zero values​​. are willing to sell and to buy the skimz sk181. I know that there is no comparison between the two skimmers, what do you recommend? to sell it or keep it dry making it work?
If i sell it wich one you suggest to me?

here's a video of how I do it work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OkvoVji-o
Hi,

Why do you want to sell a skimmer that is doing the job well?
Comparing a Bubble King with Skimz is just wrong....there is no comparison
In my personal opinion there is no reason to worry if your skimmer is bit over rated for the tank. It does give you freedom of feeding more and added stocking.
If you are still looking for a change,
the Bubble King can only be replaced with another Bubble King in my humble opinion.

Unread 07/07/2012, 03:59 PM   #1249
naterealbig
Premium Member

Quote:
Truer words have never been spoken by a man with BK envy.

Unread 07/07/2012, 10:29 PM   #1250
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterealbig View Post
Truer words have never been spoken by a man with BK envy.
Actually I own one. I was trying to be funny, clearly I offended some. My apologies.

jeffreylesser is offline   Reply With Quote