Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Reiko
Registered Member

Maxspect Gyre or icecap Gyre Power head?

I'm thinking about using a 1 or 2 gyres on my new 120 build, and noticed that IceCap has a gyre. Does anyone have the IceCap brand or have an opinion on which one is better? The pricing is completely different, and I would like to save money if possible.

Reiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Bugnator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
I'm thinking about using a 1 or 2 gyres on my new 120 build, and noticed that IceCap has a gyre. Does anyone have the IceCap brand or have an opinion on which one is better? The pricing is completely different, and I would like to save money if possible.

FYI Jebao also has something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Jonviviano
Registered Member

I do not own any, But was doing extensive research the past few weeks because i wanted to purchase one. My conclusion is that all of them are relatively noisy, and not the most dependable. I decided against it for now until newer, updated versions come out.

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

They claim cleaning is a pain & things break easily.

Unread 03/07/2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

i own the Gyre. yes cleaning is a PAIN. if you are not carefull when removing the sharft, you will be looking for a replacement and its not cheap.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

I’d get a couple of VorTechs and call it a day

https://ecotechmarine.com/vortech-flow-calculator

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Reiko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnator View Post
FYI Jebao also has something similar

I had no idea jebao had something like this. If you have one how do you like it. I currently have RW-8 or the PP series now.

Unread 03/07/2018, 03:50 PM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

I hav e 2 x Maxspect Gyre 250's. Yes, the first time I cleaned them it was, well, not as easy as the koralias they replaced. After that it was much easier. You just have to be able to take it apart and put it back together correctly. For the upgrade to the flow in my tank it was well worth the learning curve.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:37 PM   #9
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I hav e 2 x Maxspect Gyre 250's. Yes, the first time I cleaned them it was, well, not as easy as the koralias they replaced. After that it was much easier. You just have to be able to take it apart and put it back together correctly. For the upgrade to the flow in my tank it was well worth the learning curve.
+1

They are hard to take apart until you know how. I just took my time watched the video and learned it. time well spent. i like the wide laminar flow compared to powerheads.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Superpuma
Registered Member

I have icecap 3k, gyre 130 and gyre 150. If l had to choose, it would be the icecap.

Superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Bugnator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
I had no idea jebao had something like this. If you have one how do you like it. I currently have RW-8 or the PP series now.

No but I’m seriously considering them.

Bugnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 06:00 PM   #12
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

I own the Gyre 250. Cleaned it many times, no issues at all. Am getting a second one to run it off the same controller.

Ive had other cheaper alternatives and never had luck, spending the money again with lots of regret. If Maxpect charges more for the gyre, im sure it is for a good reason. Icecaps came to fight off knockoff jebaos in my understanding

Unread 03/07/2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Reiko
Registered Member

Does anyone know if you can run 2 icecaps off the same controller.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Unread 03/08/2018, 10:54 AM   #14
gargoylenest
Registered Member

I have 2 icecap, and no, you can not run them on the same controller. Though, coralvue said that they were working on making it (icecap gyre) compatible to Neptune apex. For the cleaning, first time it s a pain, now it takes me 5 min to clean both. You have to clean em more often then usual power heads though.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 10:56 AM   #15
gargoylenest
Registered Member

and FYI, I certainly do not regret buying em over other powerhead, they move a lot of water. As for the noise, I realized that you just have to be careful to put everything into place correctly and they are not as noisy as equivalent power head.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 06:27 PM   #16
mako61
Registered Member

I have 2 250s maxspects on a 110g tank. I think they are great. Since I run them 50% max are assembled correctly, they are dead silent. The new controller is nice, would be better if you could configure it from a app.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Tripod1404
Registered Member

My vote is on icecap. Sade design, it has lower failure rate and is cheaper. As of now they cannot be used in sync. But Coralvue said they are working on a controller to do this.

Keep in mind gyre pumps generate a lot more flow compared to a regular powerheads or wavemakers with equivalent GPH. This is due to the whole water column movement gyre pumps generate, as opposed to stream-like flow powerheads or wavemakers.

I have one Icecap 3k that faces two wavemakers each rated +1000 GPH (so 2000 GPH). But overall, the 3K at 40% a more dominant flow (most coral lean based on the 3Ks flow direction).

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote