Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2012, 07:05 PM   #1526
bdroptjj
Registered Member

Hi all - I finally got my radions hung today, and figured I would post up a few pics. I used 1/4 inch aluminum stock from HD, then painted with Krylon Fusion. I think they turned out allright - I still need to clean up the wires a bit, though.

Tank is 60x24x18...

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy rimless 60x24x18 ~ ATB Elegance 200 Pro ~ Apex ~ MP40wES x2 ~ Radion XR30 x3 ~ Nextreef MR1 reactors ~ ATB Flowstar 1500 ~ Bubble Magus doser ~ Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump
bdroptjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 07:40 PM   #1527
Canadaguy
Registered Member

Looks awesome!

Canadaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 09:02 PM   #1528
LSUtiger
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdroptjj View Post
Hi all - I finally got my radions hung today, and figured I would post up a few pics. I used 1/4 inch aluminum stock from HD, then painted with Krylon Fusion. I think they turned out allright - I still need to clean up the wires a bit, though.

Tank is 60x24x18...
That bar in the front not running all the way across doesn't make you nervous?

LSUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 11:26 PM   #1529
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiger View Post
That bar in the front not running all the way across doesn't make you nervous?
I've seen several hangers owners have done that on the front and back: single point connections between two different Radion units. To me, that would create a leverage point that could crack or damage the corner, whereas on a rail system the load is divided between two different mount points. The top of the Radion is only acrylic, after all.

This type of mount, while nice looking, would scare me because there is only one screw down point of connection between the Units. This connection would crack much easier than a solid piece of bar stock connection the 4 front mount points and the back 4 mount points.

This one is scary as well from a stress on the unit perspective, even though it is attractive. The stress on the left/right the mount points where the black connecting pieces are can't be good for the Radions. I would have run a single piece of bar stock along all four front mount points and a single piece of bar stock along all 4 rear mount points. I bet that setup bows down in the middle.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 08:18 AM   #1530
bdroptjj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroporAddict View Post
I've seen several hangers owners have done that on the front and back: single point connections between two different Radion units. To me, that would create a leverage point that could crack or damage the corner, whereas on a rail system the load is divided between two different mount points. The top of the Radion is only acrylic, after all.

This type of mount, while nice looking, would scare me because there is only one screw down point of connection between the Units. This connection would crack much easier than a solid piece of bar stock connection the 4 front mount points and the back 4 mount points.

This one is scary as well from a stress on the unit perspective, even though it is attractive. The stress on the left/right the mount points where the black connecting pieces are can't be good for the Radions. I would have run a single piece of bar stock along all four front mount points and a single piece of bar stock along all 4 rear mount points. I bet that setup bows down in the middle.
Points well taken... I did consider a few different designs when hanging my 3 units. Had I hung them perpendicular to the length of the tank, I certainly would have used one piece of bar stock for both the front and back rails, utliziing all 6 mounting points with each rail. However, I ultimately wanted to hang them parallel with the tank, and using a one bar along the front would have covered the buttons on the front of the units. The bar along the back of my 3 units is one solid piece, and utilizes all 6 mounting points. The bars along the front are, of course, two separate pieces which utlizes 4 mounting points, including the points where the hanging kit is attached.

Additionally, by hanging the units parallel, there is less gap between the units themselves (6 inches from unit to unit), which I felt would lend to less deflection in the setup then hanging them perpendicular. Naturally, this might not work for all tank dimensions and users with varying numbers of radion units.

I've also considered countersinking the surface which contacts the units (at the mounting points), in order to allow the bar stock to lie flush with the entire unit, instead of 'resting' on the mouning points. Once I got the unit put together, I checked for deflection and there is none, so I decided to leave it as is for the time being (or maybe I'm just lazy, LOL). Perhaps I will countersink the rails at some point, but at this point I have no deflection...

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated . Below is another pic prior to paint:

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy rimless 60x24x18 ~ ATB Elegance 200 Pro ~ Apex ~ MP40wES x2 ~ Radion XR30 x3 ~ Nextreef MR1 reactors ~ ATB Flowstar 1500 ~ Bubble Magus doser ~ Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump
bdroptjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 09:02 AM   #1531
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdroptjj View Post
Points well taken... I did consider a few different designs when hanging my 3 units. Had I hung them perpendicular to the length of the tank, I certainly would have used one piece of bar stock for both the front and back rails, utliziing all 6 mounting points with each rail. However, I ultimately wanted to hang them parallel with the tank, and using a one bar along the front would have covered the buttons on the front of the units. The bar along the back of my 3 units is one solid piece, and utilizes all 6 mounting points. The bars along the front are, of course, two separate pieces which utlizes 4 mounting points, including the points where the hanging kit is attached.

Additionally, by hanging the units parallel, there is less gap between the units themselves (6 inches from unit to unit), which I felt would lend to less deflection in the setup then hanging them perpendicular. Naturally, this might not work for all tank dimensions and users with varying numbers of radion units.

I've also considered countersinking the surface which contacts the units (at the mounting points), in order to allow the bar stock to lie flush with the entire unit, instead of 'resting' on the mouning points. Once I got the unit put together, I checked for deflection and there is none, so I decided to leave it as is for the time being (or maybe I'm just lazy, LOL). Perhaps I will countersink the rails at some point, but at this point I have no deflection...

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated . Below is another pic prior to paint:

Definitely understand about the button access, and you are a a definite advantage with the bar stock along the back.

Unread 03/18/2012, 12:04 PM   #1532
Tetra84
Registered Member

I used a piece of square U shaped aluminium bar from Lowes - (very rigid, wont sag), and used some 1/2" nylon spacers to elevate them above the top of the fixture (so I could access the buttons). Painted it all gloss back to match the lights and hung them with Sunlight Supply's 2 point connection hanging kit. I went with them because they had nice ceiling caps that looked clean/professional.

I'm really happy with how it turned out.. not sure i'd do it any other way.
Still need to figure out how to better hide those power supplies for the lights though.. maybe i'll build an electronics box to match my stand.

Paul

Current Tank Info: 57 Gal Rimless Reef
Tetra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 02:35 PM   #1533
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra84 View Post
I used a piece of square U shaped aluminium bar from Lowes - (very rigid, wont sag), and used some 1/2" nylon spacers to elevate them above the top of the fixture (so I could access the buttons). Painted it all gloss back to match the lights and hung them with Sunlight Supply's 2 point connection hanging kit. I went with them because they had nice ceiling caps that looked clean/professional.

Still need to figure out how to better hide those power supplies for the lights though.. maybe i'll build an electronics box to match my stand.

Paul
That is a nice hanging rig, and no stress on the Radions. Well done! Looks professional. Amazing what some inexpensive bar stock, some drilling, and a can of paint can do!

Unread 03/19/2012, 02:56 PM   #1534
david00061
Registered Member

Im happy with growth-color.

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 03:37 PM   #1535
david00061
Registered Member

I cut the red planet in picture but you can still see the growth

Unread 03/20/2012, 12:46 AM   #1536
Breakbeats2334
Registered Member

Sorry if this question has already been answered but how do you run your lights photo period wise.

Breakbeats2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2012, 05:41 AM   #1537
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakbeats2334 View Post
Sorry if this question has already been answered but how do you run your lights photo period wise.
It is Artificial. Lights on at 6 am 9am 20k(100%). 12 to 3 100% with with all lights. 3:30 back to 20k (100%) lights off at 8:30

Unread 03/20/2012, 04:50 PM   #1538
eidels
Registered Member

My Solution

Here is my build, 250 w/ 75 sump/refugium with soon to be 4 ecotechs hanging from conduit. Waiting on hanging kits

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-4.JPG (42.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo-3.JPG (85.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg photo-5.jpg (37.6 KB, 62 views)
eidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2012, 07:06 PM   #1539
david00061
Registered Member

with flash
Its going to be a real nice tank a year from now.

without flash

Unread 03/20/2012, 08:04 PM   #1540
Virtuoso
Registered Member

It's a real nice looking tank now. Thanks for the pics.

Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2012, 09:18 PM   #1541
Confuse
Registered Member

I'm just curious if there have been any PAR measurements done under the 20K setting. I realize that the intensity changes as the color temperature rises and 20K is my longest setting throughout the day.

Confuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2012, 08:00 AM   #1542
steevareno2002
Registered Member

No, the blue and royal blue are just as intense as the white.

Unread 03/21/2012, 09:51 AM   #1543
rainmkr07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevareno2002 View Post
No, the blue and royal blue are just as intense as the white.
You think PAR readings will be the same for 20k or 12k? I find that hard to believe.

I'll be getting a PAR reader in the next couple of weeks and I will test that for sure.

Unread 03/21/2012, 11:12 AM   #1544
EcoTech Service
Registered Member

WOW David, you've got some serious color and growth going on! Such an awesome tank, I'm really watching it mature.

For FAQs, troubleshooting advice and direct interaction with the EcoTech staff, visit http://ecotechmarine.com/support/ or call us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2.
EcoTech Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2012, 02:23 PM   #1545
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr07 View Post
You think PAR readings will be the same for 20k or 12k? I find that hard to believe.

I'll be getting a PAR reader in the next couple of weeks and I will test that for sure.
Only reason the whites will be more is because they are 5 watters instead of 3. You won't get a good result with PAR readings with just the blue's. Meters don't read the blue wavelength correctly...

Unread 03/23/2012, 06:54 AM   #1546
nanoreefbro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
Also I hear that the AI mounting rails will work, and they are tank mountable.
I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet?

nanoreefbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 07:03 AM   #1547
rainmkr07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefbro View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet?
see post #6:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2144263

Unread 03/23/2012, 07:11 AM   #1548
nanoreefbro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr07 View Post
Thanks Rainmkr...

Unread 03/23/2012, 08:17 AM   #1549
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Service View Post
WOW David, you've got some serious color and growth going on! Such an awesome tank, I'm really watching it mature.
Thank you.

Unread 03/23/2012, 09:14 AM   #1550
nanoreefbro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra84 View Post

Paul
I like this way alot! Tetra what are the dims of your tank?