Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2015, 02:41 PM   #126
DamonG
Registered Member

Is this only happening on the dc pumped versions? That would be hacked if one or both of my pumps went out.. I mean that thing is a monster, and so was the 163 I had..

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 06:09 PM   #127
Cabo2008
Registered Member

I really don't know, that's just the diagnosis they gave me on mine.

Unread 10/11/2015, 01:29 PM   #128
DamonG
Registered Member

Hmmnnn,I guess only time will tell. Mine is still skimming silently like a mad man!

Unread 10/11/2015, 02:03 PM   #129
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Any pump will seize up if you don't clean it in a regular basis

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2015, 09:28 AM   #130
FarmerTy
Registered Member

I'm bad about cleaning my pump but I try to get in there at least 1/year. Just by sheer luck, there wasn't anything stuck in the impeller like I usually see... snail shell.. biopellet... etc.

FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2015, 06:29 PM   #131
flaj75
Registered Member

Anyone have any good luck with the Skimz Oval SV203? I like that the footprint is slimmer and allows for more space in my sump.

flaj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2015, 01:35 PM   #132
cruzo
Registered Member

Can someone that has a SN143 please tell me the actual dimensions?
I know they are listed on the website but I wanted to see the actual dimensions from an owner. I have one of the SC Aquarium sumps with the SCA 301 and wanted to see if I could upgrade with the space I have.

Thanks
Orlando

cruzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 11:32 PM   #133
Jmasiello
Registered Member

Curious myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaj75 View Post
Anyone have any good luck with the Skimz Oval SV203? I like that the footprint is slimmer and allows for more space in my sump.
Curious to know anyone with this model and how well it works?

Jmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2015, 06:45 AM   #134
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Just can't get this skimmer tuned in. I have to have the valve almost fully closed to get the water in the neck. I have the skimmer in 9" of water. Any thoughts?

Unread 11/18/2015, 12:30 PM   #135
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eel-byte View Post
Just can't get this skimmer tuned in. I have to have the valve almost fully closed to get the water in the neck. I have the skimmer in 9" of water. Any thoughts?
Where is your air control set? From the bubbles, it looks down way low (like fully open).. That will work sometimes, but you usually have to close the gate completely to get it up high enough to get a decent (either light to dark) skim..

Both of mine that i have owned, i started with the air valve at about 4 threads showing. I then,, at it so that, to begin with, the bubbles break and the bottom of the collection cup neck.. From there, i can adjust the gate valve to get the color i want or need..

Unread 11/18/2015, 12:30 PM   #136
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Where is your air control set?
3/4 turn from closed position

Unread 11/18/2015, 07:04 PM   #137
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
3/4 turn from closed position
That's probably why.. Try the thread method i mentioned above.. Count the number of threads showing.. How many are showing?

And where is your gate valve? They actually work together.. Something doesn't seem right or is missing in the description given..
The gate valve. You may want to check and make sure that it's still connected(the two parts) and is actually opening and closing the valve..

Last edited by DamonG; 11/18/2015 at 07:16 PM.
Unread 11/18/2015, 10:28 PM   #138
rosterv
Registered Member

Skimz Mini monster 143 is a great little skimmer. Efficient, silent, pulls a lot of wet or slowly accumulates super dark skimmate. Very adjustable but perhaps too adjustable since it can be tough to get set to be consistent.

rosterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 07:37 PM   #139
flaj75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
That's probably why.. Try the thread method i mentioned above.. Count the number of threads showing.. How many are showing?

And where is your gate valve? They actually work together.. Something doesn't seem right or is missing in the description given..
The gate valve. You may want to check and make sure that it's still connected(the two parts) and is actually opening and closing the valve..
I just ordered the Skimz SV203. How long does it take to break in? Whats the ideal water height do you have in your sump.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 105 gallon DSA: 2 AI Hydra 52's: Waveline DC10000 II: Skimz Protien Skimmer: Turbos L2 Algae Scrubber
flaj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 08:44 PM   #140
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaj75 View Post
I just ordered the Skimz SV203. How long does it take to break in? Whats the ideal water height do you have in your sump.

Thanks!
It took my 203,from our the box, about 5 to 6 hours to begin skimming. But even after it began, for about a week, as the film in the neck built up, the skim got progressively darker, which, i then adjusted the gate to keep it wet skimming..

And I personally, like, and have settled on 9" height for the skimmer section of my fuges. That depth usually, from what i have observed and experienced, is usually somewhere in the range recommends from the mfg's(for the most part)..

Unread 11/25/2015, 01:07 PM   #141
Mike S
Registered Member

Curious if anyone else has any long term feedback on the DC pumps that skimz is using?. My first pump lasted a little less than a year before it died. The merchant was good and replaced it but the replacement also died within a year. Pump only has a one year warranty so I am out of luck there but that still doesn't excuse poor reliability. Its a shame since the skimmer itself is good. The pump is external so there are other optikns. Has anyone else had a similiar or different experience with them?

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2015, 07:02 PM   #142
clittrell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Boerner View Post
I've had a SKIMZ SM253 Monzter for 5 months and so far (knock on wood) it's been the best skimmer I've owned. Adjusting for skimmate quality is great. I can get a nice thick black sludge without getting too thick, or too thin. The massive 2 gallon collection cup is necessary. I'm not using as much bio-pellet as I though I would with the amount of nutrients I have in the tank, so I know the skimmer is killing it big time. The DC pump is nice on the Apex, slowing it down during feed times, then ramping it back up 30 minutes later.

I know this was a while ago but how did you do the connection to apex?

Thanks.

clittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 07:23 AM   #143
myram
#347, 19 years

Quote:
Close your air intake off completely and watch the level rise up. Then open it about 1/4 turn and leave it. Then use the output knob to adjust the water level.

It takes some tuning, but once you find the sweet spot lock it down and leave it.........these skimmers rock.

myram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 08:56 AM   #144
dendrite
Registered Member

Happy Black Friday. I've had my skimz sm 203 for a year and decided to take it apart and clean it. So, how do you get the front facing off of the impeller housing on the vsc 5000 pump. The are no screws, only side slots. I'm afraid to just pry it off with a screwdriver and break the plastic. Any thoughts?

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 07:20 PM   #145
myram
#347, 19 years

I use a piece of PVC pipe, it fit's perfect into the endcap. I cut 3 slots in it for the fins on the endcap. It gives you a lot more leverage to turn it and take off the endcap.

myram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 08:27 PM   #146
dendrite
Registered Member

Thanks, will do

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2015, 03:18 PM   #147
cruzo
Registered Member

I just took the plunge and ordered an SN123. I wanted the 143 but because of space limitations I had to go with the 123.
I am currently running a SCA-301 at 6.5" of water. I have taken some pics of my skim now and will take some new ones with the Skimz to compare.

Unread 12/04/2015, 01:52 AM   #148
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Just got my SM203. Beautiful piece of equipment. I did realize that I might have ordered the wrong size when it arrived. It makes the Deltec AP600 it replaced look like a toy. Hopefully it is not too large for my system but I couldn't pass on the Black Friday deal. Been running about a day and I've been fiddling with it. Dead silent unlike the deltec which was the loudest thing in the room.

SoloGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 07:29 AM   #149
cruzo
Registered Member

Yeah the pictures don't do these skimmers any justice. I received my SN123 yesterday expecting it to be a lot smaller even smaller than the sca-301 it was replacing. But it actually turned out to be a lot bigger.
I originally had reservations about getting the skimz after reading some posts about them being flimsy and and easy to break. But it felt nice and solid to me. Looks like the only way to break it is if you really crank the screws down like if you were putting a car tire on.
This morning it was already collecting nice skim with a nice dry foam head.

Unread 12/04/2015, 10:48 AM   #150
DamonG
Registered Member

Yes, they are awesome "big" skimmers.. My buddy even said when he saw it said " damn, that thing is insanely huge, how did you get it under there" I, like you guys started to not order mine based off some of the comments on here, but I'm extremely glad i did! Mine has been going like crazy ever since the day i got it months ago..

They really are beautiful as far as their quality and durability.. No, they don't have all the metal line some of the others, but i actually like that.. In my head, less to worry about..

And oh, the thing about them being too big, my 251 is rated according to skimz specs for a 793 gallon tank.. But brs rates it for a 293 gallon.. Mine has never stopped cranking on my 210 twv.. I do run pellets and feed heavily though.. But it keeps the tank clean, that's for sure.. I think that, since it's said that they(skimmers) only pull 30% of organics, that a somewhat larger(not insanely) skimmer is still well applicable, even today..

And these things are so dead silent that is insane! I don't think I have ever had a skimmer this quiet that performed this well.. Actually, only one other brand of skimmer has performed this well for me.. They really are beasts!