Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2021, 06:47 PM   #1
Jeremy0322
Registered Member

Seeding old live rock

So I just set up a new aquarium using some dried old rock I had (very dead). I figured when I added the live sand it would seed the rock and I would be ok but now I am second guessing that.

Will live sand seed dead rock?

If it will not do the aquarium cycle kits that are sold (like bio-spira) do the same thing? I am kind of worried about not having some of the fun little hitch hikers tag along...

What are my other options to seed? My local shops arent carrying LR right now because there is a sales ban currently and I am not part of any local clubs because of the current situation. I was considering posting on the livestock threads here to see if I could buy a few small pieces but they all seem dead or not dealing in rock either. I read that if you buy inverts with shells some of the bacteria can transfer over but that it was a slow process

Thanks for all the help!

Jeremy0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

GulfLiveRock.com sells farmed live rock from Florida. Their prices include shipping and are very reasonable. You can buy as little as ten pounds, which would be perfect for your situation.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2021, 08:31 PM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I've used jump start bottles that help...forgot the brand, but it was bought refrigerated from a LFS.

I wouldn't rely on live sand for your seed. I'm sure there's some viable bacteria in the sand, but probably not enough. My recommendations, in order:

Get real live rock, let it cycle, profit. I haven't seen it in a LFS in a LONG time, so good luck.

Get a couple of small rocks and a big ol scoop of sand from a well established tank. Toss it into your tank and let it grow. Toss in some fish food from time to time during the cycle to promote bacterial growth. Toss in a bacteria jump start for an added bonus...$20 can't hurt.

Get a couple of small, established rocks...do the above things

Get a scoop of sand...do the above things

If all that isn't available, add a bacteria boost, feed the tank to facilitate growth.

Remember, the jump start still takes time to properly cycle. Take things slow no matter how you attack it.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2021, 10:00 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Back in the Jurassic we used dead dry rock and dead sand and just started with a gallon of water from the fish store display tank. It was pretty clean, as display tanks tend to be. Butt we've found better and faster ways since.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2021, 08:11 AM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

I start all my tanks with dry sand and rocks. It will become live soon enough.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2021, 05:00 PM   #6
400M1963
Premium Member

Of course you're second guessing. No critters, creatures, flora or fauna will be coming out of your dead rock but will contimue to ome out for years to come -- when you buy some real reef rock. Think of it as an investment if that helps. It's absolutely cruel to start a reef without it to the inhabitants you purchase. It is a giant filter in itself. Tanked only works for athletes and celebrities who can't be so bothered with actual reef life and conditions.

400M1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2021, 10:03 PM   #7
Albertchoi81
Registered Member

The bacterial starter bottles worked really well for me. I was able to cycle my tank with dry rock and live sand within two weeks! I used a raw shrimp as an ammonia source.

Albertchoi81 is offline   Reply With Quote