Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2008, 09:09 PM   #1
reef3r
Registered Member

Feather duster lost it's feathers... help!

I just bought a feather duster from liveaquaria and it arrived today at about 1:30. I acclimated it for about 1.5 hours, until the sg matched the tank. When I put it into the tank, the tube was very soft. I was a little surprised by this. Are they normally hard? After a few minutes, it opened up, but it would blow around in the current. It didn't look 'fan shaped' at all. I moved it to a low flow area, but it kept squirming around. I left it alone, and when I came back a few minutes ago, I found it had dropped it's feathers... I've never had a feather duster before, but I'm guessing that's bad. Will it regrow the feathers, or is it a goner? Is it normal for it to lose them like that? Please help!

tested today:
ammonia. 0
nitrite. 0
nitrate. 10
ph. 8.1
sg. 1.026

reef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 09:47 PM   #2
liquidlunch
Registered Member

stolen from www.saltwaterfish.com :

A worm lives within the tan tube of the Feather Duster, and this worm carries a colorful "crown" of feathers. These feathers are pushed up throw the opening of the tube and act as a catching device for food, which is collected by the worm's mouth at the base of the feathers. The worm uses the tube as protection and will quickly pull in the feathered crown when it detects a predator. The Feather Duster can be placed on the substrate or into your rockwork. The Feather Duster will attach its foot and remain stable once placed into the aquarium.

Feather Dusters are not often thought of as worms because what most people see is just the pretty feathery "crown" the worm inside uses to capture food. But there truly is a worm living inside the tan tubes they create using sand and secretion to create their home. The feathery crown is also called a "radiole" and is used as both gills and to bring food to its mouth which is at the center of that crown. Feather Dusters are very light sensitive and will quickly retract when approached or disturbed. Feather Dusters are known to "throw" their crowns which usually regrow within a few weeks.

liquidlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 10:02 PM   #3
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Speaking of feather dusters, what is their typical lifespan anyways? I'd enjoy keeping one in the fuge just for fun even if it eats some of my pods.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 10:16 PM   #4
reef3r
Registered Member

Well, I'm still worried. saltwaterfish's info isn't really the best, anyway. Is it bad if I can see the actual worm?

Unread 02/22/2008, 10:24 PM   #5
AIMFish
Premium Member

I've always been told that they come from lagoonal areas and not the reef. Because they are a relatively large worm they have larger dietary requirement than most people can provide in a reef tank. The 2 theories I've heard about "popping their heads" is that they do it to clean them off and/or they are starving and will regrow a smaller one. Either way I've never met anyone that has had one for more than one year.

AIMFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 10:28 PM   #6
PJSEA
Registered Member

Any time I had a feather duster throw it's crown, it died not long afterwards. Hardest part of keeping featherdusters is feeding them properly.

See here for more info:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/featherfaqs.htm

PJSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 10:29 PM   #7
reef3r
Registered Member

Okay well I don't think mine will last more that a day...
the whole worm fell out of it's tube now. It's about 3 inches long, the tube is closer to 6 inches. Is there any chance of the worm returning to the tube, or building a new one? Or is it already dead?

Unread 02/22/2008, 10:32 PM   #8
AIMFish
Premium Member

They can build another tube. Coming out and loosing the crown in the same day can't be good tho

AIMFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 10:33 PM   #9
DawnOctopus
Octopus in Training

I don't know what will happen since yours is out of it's tube... However I have had one of my feather dusters for about 6 months, and he has popped his top twice -- Once when I first put him in, and once when I upgraded tanks. He has regrown it both times. I target feed every other day. HTH.

DawnOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 03:30 PM   #10
IndyReefMan
Registered Member

Your feather duster is stressed out over something. I have a number of feather dusters that have been in my tank for 2 or 3 years. Every once in a while, they will throw their crowns, but they've always grown back. But, it can take a few weeks. Don't give up on it. If the worm is out of its tube, I would gently place it in a low flow area where it won't get blown around. They can grow their tubes back.

IndyReefMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 04:43 PM   #11
reeferhabit
Registered Member

I had mine in my tank for over a year. The crown has came off probably three times and grown back every time

reeferhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 04:56 PM   #12
nhlives
Registered Member

Just bought one (actually two) and after just a day or so it lost the crown. In less than two weeks it started coming back.

nhlives is offline   Reply With Quote