Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2017, 07:34 AM   #1
VJV
Registered Member

Decomposing rubber toxic?

Hi Randy, hope you are doing great.

I have a Tunze 9001 skimmer and some power heads in my QT tank which o regularly sterilize with bleach (about 5% solution). I have noticed that the rubber around the magnets seems to “melt”, loosing color and becoming sticky after a 24h bath. Could this be toxic for the livestock?

Notice the bits of rubber that stick to my hand just by holding the magnet in my hand. It is very stickie and almost glued to my hand.

Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by VJV; 12/21/2017 at 10:00 AM.
VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 07:41 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Randy isn't active on this forum anymore.. He moved on to another that we cannot speak of here but a quick google for his name will find it..

I would not be concerned one bit about that being toxic but I'm not sure I would be doing what you are doing with bleach as you are degrading the material faster with such a process.. 24 hours is likely the issue as that is just way too long..
Even vinegar should be diluted with water and used sparingly/quickly or it will soften/attack materials like that and can rapidly destroy electrical seals leading to shock hazards,etc...

Unread 12/21/2017, 08:02 AM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Not knowing what sort of material is covering the magnet its had to tell if it is harmful.
Yes bleach will harm rubber and various other materials. For a detailed list you can d/l this chart.
sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/resources/Chemical-Resistance-Chart-Detail.pdf
Sanitation stds state that 99% of bacteria is killed upon contact with in the first min. It takes another 10 mins of dwell time for the last 1%. After that its a waste. You might try a peroxide solution which might be a bit more friendly on the rubber compounds.

Last edited by lapin; 12/21/2017 at 08:14 AM.
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 09:51 AM   #4
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Randy isn't active on this forum anymore.. He moved on to another that we cannot speak of here but a quick google for his name will find it..

I would not be concerned one bit about that being toxic but I'm not sure I would be doing what you are doing with bleach as you are degrading the material faster with such a process.. 24 hours is likely the issue as that is just way too long..
Even vinegar should be diluted with water and used sparingly/quickly or it will soften/attack materials like that and can rapidly destroy electrical seals leading to shock hazards,etc...

Thank you very much for this. I wonder what that forum might be

Unread 12/21/2017, 09:53 AM   #5
VJV
Registered Member

Decomposing rubber toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Not knowing what sort of material is covering the magnet its had to tell if it is harmful.
Yes bleach will harm rubber and various other materials. For a detailed list you can d/l this chart.
sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/resources/Chemical-Resistance-Chart-Detail.pdf
Sanitation stds state that 99% of bacteria is killed upon contact with in the first min. It takes another 10 mins of dwell time for the last 1%. After that its a waste. You might try a peroxide solution which might be a bit more friendly on the rubber compounds.

Thanks a lot! What is the concentration of bleach used in those sanitation tests? I am adding 5 liters to 70 liters of RO só not sure if those same times apply?

Unread 12/21/2017, 09:54 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Thank you very much for this. I wonder what that forum might be
Shhh.. quiet..
Don't want Santa giving you a lump of coal now..

Unread 12/21/2017, 09:59 AM   #7
VJV
Registered Member

Ho ho ho

Unread 12/21/2017, 04:09 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Thanks a lot! What is the concentration of bleach used in those sanitation tests? I am adding 5 liters to 70 liters of RO só not sure if those same times apply?
Using typical household bleach containing 5.25% sodium hypochlorite diluted in water to make a 0.5% solution of hypochlorite. The recommend about 5000 ppm for blood cleanup in hospitals. 1 part bleach 9 parts water. In the food industry they use around 200 ppm for disinfection if using bleach.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 04:49 PM   #9
VJV
Registered Member

Thanks! I am using slightly less. So 10 minutes would be enough to make sure any Ich Trophonts are eliminated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 12/21/2017, 05:43 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't think that the plastic will be toxic. I'd avoid letting fish ingest any pieces, though. I'll pm you the site for Randy.

10 minutes of a 9:1 water-bleach mix should kill off the marine ich. I'd probably wipe the piece well before the dip, to break up any thick film, but that might not be necessary.