Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2019, 02:04 PM   #1
ctbehm
Registered Member

Opinions on 93cube lighting

Greetings, setting up a new 93 gallon Marineland cube and am looking for opinions on LED lighting. Planning on SPS, LPS and a clam. When looking at the Radion XR15 I was not sure that is enough light and wondering if the XR30 would be needed. Or should I look at other brands? Thank you for your input and time.

ctbehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 06:05 PM   #2
fijisrfr
Registered Member

If it was mine I would run the X-r 30 installed in the aquatic life hybrid fixture, cuz that’s what I use. I don’t believe the X-r 15 will provide the desirable spread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 07:53 PM   #3
ctbehm
Registered Member

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the picture!! Tank looks good!

Unread 03/09/2019, 06:33 PM   #4
fattytwobyfour
Registered Member

I run a radion xr30 over my 93 gallon cube. The light covers the tank and I've had no issues. I haven't kept a clam in it, due to my foxface & dwarf angels, but have several RBTA with no issues. I think my light only peaks at like 80% too.

fattytwobyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2019, 08:39 PM   #5
ctbehm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour View Post
I run a radion xr30 over my 93 gallon cube. The light covers the tank and I've had no issues. I haven't kept a clam in it, due to my foxface & dwarf angels, but have several RBTA with no issues. I think my light only peaks at like 80% too.

How did you mount yours? Single braces from back of tank or rail system? What are you using to control it? Thanks

Unread 03/11/2019, 09:43 AM   #6
mattgumaer
Registered Member

My suggestion, if you want acropora in particular, is two Radions or a Radon t-5 hybrid. Rightly or wrongly, I just don't think you can get good, even lighting, without shadowing, with a single Radion (whether its an XR15 or XR30). These issues can be mitigated, at least somewhat, by hanging the lights high over the tank

I run 5 Radions XR30s myself, 3 over a 180 with 4 5-foot t5s, and 2 over a 60 gallon cube, without t-5s. Both setups work well. These are gen 2s and gen 3s. I've not run gen 4s.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 11:29 PM   #7
fattytwobyfour
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbehm View Post
How did you mount yours? Single braces from back of tank or rail system? What are you using to control it? Thanks
I used the single brace mount from the back. I would just plug a usb into it, and into my laptop and use ecotech live to control it.

fattytwobyfour is offline   Reply With Quote