Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2018, 11:09 AM   #1
noy
Registered Member

Coral ID

uknowncoral by Ngai On, on Flickr

Not sure what this coral is. It was sold to me as a waving hand anthelia but the colour and the polyp shape suggests otherwise. It actually totally pale white - the cyan tinge is an artifact of the colour balance. its covers a rock and the polyps extrude out with out any obvious receptacles.

I thought maybe since its completely white it would be NPS but the way it behaves - i.e. reacting to the light (polyp only open during light) suggests otherwise. Sitting in my non-NPS display right now.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 10:45 AM   #2
rhdoug
Registered Member

I had an encrusting gorgoinian (bought it as "tan star polyps") that looked very similar - except for the tan color. It was one of the most invasive corals I ever owned, and caused a total re-do of the 10 gal nano that it was in.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote